The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #51
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

Re: How much to expect to pay for a nice paint job?

Here's a couple shots of my 87 S-10. The truck is painted SPI base clear, Viper red. Six months of weekends (and some weekdays) passed from the day I drove it into my buddy's garage until it was complete. We removed the doors, glass, bed, fenders, and hood. I didn't think there was that much body work to do, I was wrong. I remember spending weekend after weekend block sanding. The bedsides are straight as an arrow. Prior to getting my truck painted I spent 3 months of weekends helping my buddy build his garage addition. The work on the S-10 was "payment" for my labor on the garage. There's no way I could have afforded the job in "cash".

This may come as a surprise to some, but I don't plan on ever spending that much time (or money) on another paint job. The truck is gorgeous but I let it sit and didn't drive it as much as I should have. All I could think about were scratches, chips and idiots on the road or parking lots. I finally said screw it and started racking up some miles, chips and all.

I guess my point would be this.....If your truck is going to be a daily driver, just get a decent paint job, keep it clean and the average person will never notice any imperfections. If you spend a gazillion dollars on the paint causing you to stop driving it, whats the point? No one will ever see it.
Attached Images

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'30 Model A Pickup, suicide front end, 350, 350, traditional style hot rod.
S10Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #52
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
Consider these items for you question on paint cost. First of all ANYTHING that you do is a discount at the paint shop ANY paint shop. Stripping the truck of emblems, lights, and trim items is something that he is going to charge for, why pay for that. Also if there is a guy that does it in his garage, you should consider that person, but only after you have a result of his work and how many people will provide him as a source of good work. Now for MAACO, You DO get what you pay for, but if you plan ahead and do all of the body work and prep, the MAACO guy sprays paint all day long every working day of the week, so he is undoubtedly more experienced than your guy down the street. MAACO fails in quality ONLY due to people taking a vehicle in and asking for a repaint, but not specifying what grade of paint work they want. If you were to do the sanding, Oh and YES it is a tough task, but that is why they charge a lot for doing it, the painter only has to mask off the vehicle and spray, then you get the paint done at a fair cost. Check with them before showing up at the entrance with your truck. I don't have MAACO in my area so if I want something done for a complete paint job, I have to rely on local paint shops or others that want to do that type of work. Personally, I want to be involved in my bodywork, so that I know what is there and that it is done right. I tend to spend time with my painters and learn their abilities, before commiting to them.
Good info right their . I would have never thought about letting them (Maaco) paint my truck if there wasnt a black transam in their while i was checking the place out . I was actually looking to have my car hauler painted .

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10Fan View Post
This may come as a surprise to some, but I don't plan on ever spending that much time (or money) on another paint job. The truck is gorgeous but I let it sit and didn't drive it as much as I should have. All I could think about were scratches, chips and idiots on the road or parking lots. I finally said screw it and started racking up some miles, chips and all.

I guess my point would be this.....If your truck is going to be a daily driver, just get a decent paint job, keep it clean and the average person will never notice any imperfections. If you spend a gazillion dollars on the paint causing you to stop driving it, whats the point? No one will ever see it.
I am in the same boat .

Does your K30 srw have the dana 60 front ?
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:45 PM   #53
yousesteers

Has anybody considered using the local Tech or Vocational School. My sister worked at one of the local Vo-tech schools teaching last year and they have an Autobody program I have seen a little bit of work that comes out of there it is a 2 year program and they have a good instructor. The only thing you have to pay for is the materials. I am thinking about having them do my Crew it will be a daily driver and a used around the farm. I am waiting until I get another driver though to drive while they have my truck it is just a thought.
1966 IH Scout has been a work in progress for 16 yrs
yousesteers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #54
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousesteers View Post
Has anybody considered using the local Tech or Vocational School. My sister worked at one of the local Vo-tech schools teaching last year and they have an Autobody program I have seen a little bit of work that comes out of there it is a 2 year program and they have a good instructor. The only thing you have to pay for is the materials. I am thinking about having them do my Crew it will be a daily driver and a used around the farm. I am waiting until I get another driver though to drive while they have my truck it is just a thought.
I did 25 years ago and after the re-spray it looked great and lasted many years.
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:46 AM   #55
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

Just to be fair i thought i would bring this thread back up . My daughter wrecked my wifes pathfinder . It only needed a rear bumper cover , no other body damage . I ewent into Maaco and told themi " i wanted a new bumper cover and there best paint job ". I didnt set a price limit , but did tell them I wanted a " better than factory to show quality paint job " They quoted me a price , i didnt set a limit . Took them 5 weeks and it is horrible . All the gaskets ahad ovewr spray and had been wipped down with solvent , so they are dried out and cracking now . Visible orange peel , sags , runs that have been repaired , horrible cut and buff that is spotty . My wifes car has deminished valve due to this . Any " car guy " that looks at this truck will see the over spray on everything . Not happy at all . Night and day difference between my Blck truck and my wives Pathfinder ( which is white and dent free as i bought it new .

Just thought i would be fair in the evaluation of production shops .

I would have been better off just repairing the rear with a new bumper cover paint matched and traded it in with the peeling clear coat . It is worth lees now that it has been repainted then with the clear coat peeling .
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #56
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dwn4u View Post
The owner of this truck has also spent way over 15k in body and paint and it truly shows every gap is perfect.
You hit the nail on the head GAPS. I get tired of looking at the hot rod shows and seeing sheet metal that is not lined up correctly. Or better yet DA marks under the flat.. CUZ its been said here and else where flat is easy to do, and you don't have to prep as much..

Cost is hard to deal with. Basic job is just that, one place may charge a good price and the next much more the jobs are the same. And lets be real here you cannot compare a 60 truck to a new truck with same body color. The new Chevy is black that is what I can see. Get into painted engine compartment, lined panels, fully jammed panels. Yes inside the panel as well. Most are painted or at least fully jammed before mock up and then they get taken back apart again in certain areas to ensure no lines in the paint or dusting.

My truck is razor straight and it will get driven , rock chips are one thing but a piss poor prep job is there until you pay again. I dry sanded with 400, complete the blocking with 600 wet. I am using hot rod flatz and in the gun smoke grey 400 blocking marks on the test panel where clear as day. Another color may not show it..

We just complete a bike that has over 8K in the paint. graphics, air brush all house of color.. no doubt that you can see where the money, when you seen it in person. the detail is out standing..

To one person that is stupid to another they love it..

Find a shop that can complete the work on time, will back up there work and go from there... I do not do that type of work, but I would think it has to be taken down to metal to ensure that there is no issue in the future.
Attached Images

GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #57
noco-k5

My Buick was painted several years ago and the paint job was slightly over 5k, which included soda blasting the old paint off. The paint job has held up very well and still looks better than many muscle car paint jobs I've seen. There wasn't much body work which saved me money. There are places to get a reasonable paint job, but you have to consider the cost benefit analysis. I didn't think I would ever get rid of the Buick at the time, but now that I've bought a Blazer I want to sell it to help fund the Blazer build. Like most guys with old cars I have way more money in it than I'll ever get back.

noco-k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #58
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Im a sucker for the buick's and olds ha ha and mopar cars.. we had a 65 wildcat with the 425 nail head in it... that car would haul the mail for its size .. Not as fast as dads hemi runner though he he . Cool ride.

My truck was also blasted , cost on doing it once right is priceless.
GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote