The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2015, 12:19 AM   #1
fast&low

Cool Hilton Motorsports

Hello
Just wondering if anybody has purchased an ls motor from Hilton Motorsports here in the U.S?
If so how was the service & how did you like the engine?
How long have you had it & have you had any problems with it?
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thank you
fast&low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:55 AM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Hilton Motorsports

Never heard of them, never seen them recommended on the forum or otherwise, they haven't renewed their copyright since 2004, there are no prices posted, they don't list anything newer than "2000 and up" trucks, all the pictures look like random google images....see where I'm going with this?

Since I know nothing of them, all I can work with is what I see/feel...and my gut wouldn't hand them money.

*its totally possible they are awesome and just can't maintain a webpage, but there are enough other sources for junkyard and turnkey engines, that its easy to pass on a source you don't trust.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:09 AM   #3
fast&low

Thank you for your feedback & yeah I understand what you mean.
If you click on the specials link it will give you more info on the motor/motor Trans combo kits & prices.
As for junkyard motors I don't really want to go that route because I would still have to have the engine rebuild you really never know what your getting out of a salvage yard?
My next option would be Jegs or Pace Performance on a new turnkey.
Thank you for your time
Old 01-05-2015, 02:55 AM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Not sure about you, but up here you can buy pullout engines from "salvage yards" which are cataloged, drained, shelved units. Most have a registered amount of miles and the place I use had a 90day "it runs" policy.

I just hate to see people spend more on just an engine than the whole swap should cost...its not like 99% of folks will ever get that crate engine to 100k miles. A GM 5.3 from Jegs is like $7k...

Old 01-05-2015, 09:27 AM   #5
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Why not go with a board vendor, I have heard some good stuff from these guys. I have no experience purchasing though.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=614503

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:29 AM   #6
fast&low

Thx guy's for taking the time & yeah I need to figure something out i only have till March to figure out witch way to go?
Need to spend a lot more time on the Internet.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:44 PM   #7
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I saw in your other thread that you really want to keep the stock driveshaft, yet in this thread your willing to buy a crate motor. I'd like to suggest a slight paradigm shift; save the money where it makes sense (engine cost) and spend it where its best used (new, correct length DS). Fwiw, having a DS made is usually less than $300.

I know its all confusing at the beginning. It might sound cocky, but there are folks that can do the swap in the better part of a weekend. If you can nail down a plan, the rest falls into place fairly easily.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:09 PM   #8
fast&low

Thank you BR3W CITY
And no I'll take all advice given with no problems this will be my first ls swap so all this is new & very stressful to me. :-/
I'm just trying to make it a simple as possible I have even considered going the carbed ls 700r4 route just to avoid the headaches.
My 69 has a 350/700r4 rt now so what I have read up on it wouldn't be that hard to do that?
But would really love to go efi/4I60E.
Jegs has a turnkey carbureted ls327 with intake,carburetor,controller,& accessory drive kit for 5,600 & I know it's pricey but it's just an option for a Newbe like me.
But thank you really appreciate all the advice so keep it coming pls
Old 01-05-2015, 04:31 PM   #9
jackyl9999

Find a reputable salvage yard and go that route. Your wallet will thank you.

1990 K1500 Daily

jackyl9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:38 PM   #10
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

The EFI is actually easier to KEEP imo. It also allows much easier control over the electronic transmissions (moreso the newer you get).

Do you have a fair level of mechanical aptitude (aka are you comfortable gettin dirty?) Its not a bad idea for those "less comfortable" with a swap to just get a whole donor truck. All the parts are in one place, and they all already work together. You can take pictures for reference and use all "Stock" resources to get parts and repair info. Essentially taking the "hot rod" out of it, your just doing an engine swap.

The computer programming will have to be handled by a professional, but its very easy to have it sent out (or better yet, find a local dyno tuner).

As a point of comparison, I did my 6.0 swap, built 4l80e, all the go-fast stuff like cam tuning injectors etc etc etc and my swap ran just a little more than what you would pay for the engine alone.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:22 PM   #11
fast&low

Thank you guys I have been on the Internet all day & have found a couple of 6.0 truck motors that look really good .
As far as the Computer and harness what do you guys think about the GM performance reprogramed computer & harness it even has a check engine light built in to the fuse box?
Locally in my area the only guys I have seen that sell the motors & reprogramed Computer and harnesses want 2k for a long block no accessories not even the Engine cover & 500 for the reprogramed Computer and harness & that's for the motor only not the trans.
I'm still looking lol want to keep all options open.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:56 PM   #12
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Look further North then I passed on a CG 6.2 for 1800.. Too many miles as I want something under 100K .

And I think the prices here in TX are high In AZ I bought 3 6.2 engines complete for under 1300 each. They make great sand rail engines. Keep looking they are out there.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/4766504808.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/pts/4833245386.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/pts/4805098274.html
GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:12 PM   #13
jackyl9999

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/how...ree-1131506504

Read this article for a idea of what can be done with a little hustle.

1990 K1500 Daily

Old 01-05-2015, 09:44 PM   #14
fast&low

Yeah I read that last year & a couple of other good articles.
Believe me I understand what your telling me it's just its hard for me to trust that the used motor that I'm getting has been taken care of as far as maintenance.
I worked at a Goodyear store for 6 years when I was young if you knew the things I have seen when valve covers were removed or oil pans dropped.
Motors are like a box of chocolates you never know what you're going to get till you get inside them.
Im not saying there are no good motors out there I'm just saying that there are bad ones out there & those are the articles that they don't write.
And thank you I do appreciate your advice & a used motor is an option I just need to fined one I feel comfortable with.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:41 AM   #15
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

^^its all in the mindset. If someone hands me a beverage, I drink it and ask what it was later....sometimes that type of mentality helps you, sometimes it hurts. Don't scare yourself off from a "rougher" project. They are usually the most fun, and knowing you didn't spend 4x the budget feels really good.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:26 AM   #16
fast&low

Your definitely right
Old 01-06-2015, 10:31 AM   #17
jackyl9999

I had the same concerns going into my swap. But I bought from local yard that specializes in Late model GM's. They have a good reputation. They had what I wanted and after looking at the engine I was not disappointed.

Be cautious, but there are great used engines out there.

1990 K1500 Daily