The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2008, 04:05 AM   #101
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Re: I fought the law and the law won

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67_C-30 View Post
If that were the extent of it, it would be more tolerable, but where I live the code enforcement officer will walk into your backyard and write you up for things out of sight of anyone. Having a fence or keeping things out of sight isn't good enough anymore. We were at my brother's having a birthday party for his 6 yr old little girl and the kids had all sorts toys out in the yard *LIKE YOU DO AT A B-DAY PARTY!) playing with them, and the CE officer pulled up told me brother he was going to have to clean the yard up. My brother's yard is very nice and neat, and he has no old or junk vehicles, but he is being harrased out of the blue without cause. These pricks walk onto your property and look around at their leisure and there's nothing you can legally (there's that word again) do about it.

I would never compare what is currently going on to Nazi Germany, BUT if anyone here thinks we are not slowly but surely losing rights guaranteed to us by the Constitution, I'll have some of what you're having!
Time to get one big @$$ed overly protective dog and let him roam BEHIND the fence line.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:36 PM   #102
blazer72
Freedom isn't Free

Thumbs up Re: I fought the law and the law won

Quote:

I would never compare what is currently going on to Nazi Germany, BUT if anyone here thinks we are not slowly but surely losing rights guaranteed to us by the Constitution, I'll have some of what you're having!
I could not agree with you more.
blazer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:46 PM   #103
jayharrell
Gettin By on Gettin By

"Is it legal to put a privacy fence around your place and paint a nice junk yard scene on the outside?"

i like that idea.

"Adios to all the concrete; Gonna get me some dirt road back streets"
jayharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:48 PM   #104
blazer72
Freedom isn't Free

Many members have made reference to intances like that and that it was considered art - so it was ok. I considered having a mural painted on my fence at my first property. I've considered just painting the backside (the complaining neighbor's side) a bright orange or green. Something extremely gaudy.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:08 PM   #105
jimfulco

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72cheysuper View Post
Is it legal to put a privacy fence around your place and paint a nice junk yard scene on the outside?

Screw some real junkyard parts (doors, fenders, etc.) on it for a nice 3-D effect.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:57 PM   #106
blazer72
Freedom isn't Free

I guess instead of conventional privacy fence panels, I could use steel bed floors.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:30 AM   #107
bowtieboy93

i have to say i disagree with shane

i believe anyone can do anything they want on their property (legal permitting)

my neighbors have recently just built a go kart/ quad track in their backyard and no one complains. they let everyone who has a quad in the are to come over and use it.
the housing around this are is booming as much as anywhere else and i have 2of the ugliest houses as my neighbors.

the neighbors shouldnt complain, if blazer 72 was planning on building a fence and the trucks werent causing any harm to anybody, why would it matter? they arent gonna sit there forever. the neighbors can just as easily put up a for sale sign in their yard as you can.
1991 GMC Sonoma, IROCS s10 grill
1963 Ford Galaxie 351/C4
bowtieboy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:41 AM   #108
odog

I agree with 67_C-30 and something needs to change

Last edited by odog; 06-14-2008 at 12:43 AM.
odog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:51 AM   #109
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieboy93 View Post

That's the thing though, they have made things that shouldn't be against the law illegal. They are writing new laws everyday to restrict something. Its like the issue of operating a business in a non-commercial zone that came up in this thread. It was not uncommon for Doctors, Lawyers, small stores and service shops, barbers, and the list goes on and on to operate businesses from part of their home years ago, but now everything is zoned in certain classifications, and unless you are get grandfathered in (which they have written laws to cut out most of that now) you cannot do that anymore. We have the right of Free Enterprise, but we have that right ONLY where they tell you can have it. They restrict you to a commercial zone where the cost is astronomical and all your utilities and services are doubled JUST because it is commercial. The service is no different or no better, it just says COMMERCIAL on the account. They have just about cut out the guy who does something on the side from home to make a better life for his family and make a little extra money. That's ILLEGAL now because of zoning. Being a small business owner myself, I know this all too well.
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:07 AM   #110
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

As bad as the above is, think of kids these days. They have it tough in some ways. Xero tolerance at school, etc. A friend was telling me tonight that her/their HOA has made a rule against kids playing by the creek catching crawdads and poking things with sticks. Her son is 10.

Apparently the HOA is concerned about the environmental damage from 10 year olds with sticks... Huh!?

Sorry if its off topic!

Last edited by 72lb4x4; 06-14-2008 at 01:08 AM.
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:34 AM   #111
bowtieboy93

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72lb4x4 View Post
As bad as the above is, think of kids these days. They have it tough in some ways. Xero tolerance at school, etc. A friend was telling me tonight that her/their HOA has made a rule against kids playing by the creek catching crawdads and poking things with sticks. Her son is 10.

Apparently the HOA is concerned about the environmental damage from 10 year olds with sticks... Huh!?

Sorry if its off topic!
i work for a fish company in Ladner (not far from the border) and HOA is not allowing us to fish somethings in Ladner yet they are allowed to in Blaine Washington 30 mins away. they say this due to depletion of fish. I dont think theyve caught on that fish dont know what a border is!
1991 GMC Sonoma, IROCS s10 grill
1963 Ford Galaxie 351/C4
bowtieboy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 05:20 AM   #112
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arad68 View Post
"Qoute" (And James yours right. We are supposed to live in a free country....but yet we are slowly losing the right to be free. Living in a neighborhood where the neighborhood association... its like living in Nazi Germany here. You cant park on your lawn... God forbid you have a trailer or truck your not using right that minute when they see it. Half of the neighbors here want to do away with the nazis. If I had a way to get a place in the country...I would be out of here.) "Unquote".

It is not always about some one not liking junk in front of your house. Many crimes are commited with unregistered vehicles. It is a big problem for the police. It is nice to have them around.

I live in a subdivision that has an HOA and they are really cool about people with project vehicles as long as they don't spend an "extended" amount of time in the driveway or street. There is a difference between a junker or parts car/truck and a project vehicle. I have parted out numerous vehicles at my house and have had no complaints. I get it done quickly and don't make a weekly thing out of it.

As to far as this country turning into a Nazi state of some type, I don't think so, as I have seen first hand the effects of a dictatorship on it's people and I really resent this type of comment. This country is nothing like that or is it turning into it.

Although I respect different points of view, I really have to agree with Shane and others on this point.
Well in my situation....it would be different if I had vehicles in the drive with no plates and they didnt run...stuff like that. The project truck is in the garage. The dd is in the driveway...and drives everyday. The only other thing in the drive is the trailer. As of yesterday...finished. What I am talking about is an old man that has nothing better to do then whine all the time ab out everything and get the neighborhood association guy all riled up.

Sorry to have offended you on the Nazi statement. But the neighborhood guy acts like hitler to everyone. Thats why I called this Nazism. It wasnt directed at anyone but this neighborhood. Once again I am sorry to have offended you.

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 05:49 AM   #113
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
If that were the extent of it, it would be more tolerable, but where I live the code enforcement officer will walk into your backyard and write you up for things out of sight of anyone. Having a fence or keeping things out of sight isn't good enough anymore. We were at my brother's having a birthday party for his 6 yr old little girl and the kids had all sorts toys out in the yard *LIKE YOU DO AT A B-DAY PARTY!) playing with them, and the CE officer pulled up told me brother he was going to have to clean the yard up. My brother's yard is very nice and neat, and he has no old or junk vehicles, but he is being harrased out of the blue without cause. These pricks walk onto your property and look around at their leisure and there's nothing you can legally (there's that word again) do about it.

Well man, The the thing is....when you get in trouble for parking on your lawn...in the backyard??? If a cop in the state of Illinois thinks your lying to him or her...you can be arrested and charged with a felony for lying to a cop. You have freedom of speech...but if you tell a cop to go f' himself...you can go to jail for disorderly conduct...or verbally assaulting a police officer.

Everyone should be able to get along with their neighbors. But it seems there is one neighbor that will always cause some kind of crap for everyone. This is the first time I have ever been a neighborhood like this. Now I have seen after my mom and dad was divorced...my mom moved into a trailer park...where the rules were so damn stupid...Say if you had a flat tire in your driveway....you couldnt change it there. You had to drive it to the parking lot and change it...and possibly ruin a wheel getting it there. I was doing a tune up on a 70 GTO I had. Plugs wires cap rotor. No biggie. The land lady came over screaming at me I couldnt do that in the drive. I asked her what the f' her problem was and told her she screamed in my face again I would clobber her. I was 17 at the time with a hot head. I know there was no excuse for that. So to add fuel to the fir...I decided to take the whole front end off the GTO and put it in the yard...front yard. The land lady never said anything to me again about minor repairs.

I have problems with people who think they are in charge...people who think you will conform to their standards. I dont think its right. If you are following the law...as in you have your trucks...cars...whatever...and they are plated...then why is these people allowed to bother you?

Guys I am not trying to offend anyone...even though I did one person. I am not the only one in this neighborhood that calls this little Nazi Germany. To fully understand whats going on here...you would have to live here. Not all of this town is like that. I was told if it cant be seen from the street then there is nothing that can be done about it. We wanted to put up a privacy fence....the nosy neighbor wont allow it. He said and I quote...I want to be able to see whats going on over there. Aint none of his damn business whats going on over here.

And James....I got Vicodin all week long cause of my screwed up arm. I was cutting the frame for the trailer and somehow got a piece of metal embedded deep in my arm...and it got infected. They had to cut it out of me...so yeah I have been in real pain.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:23 AM   #114
haysonj

One of my neighbors has about 6 cars in his driveway and yard most of the others have at least 3 so they didn't say anything when I did the frame off resto in my driveway. In fact they were always over to see what I was doing. Felt like a community project. I just love good neighbors, known most of them since their kids were in diapers.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:37 AM   #115
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by haysonj View Post
One of my neighbors has about 6 cars in his driveway and yard most of the others have at least 3 so they didn't say anything when I did the frame off resto in my driveway. In fact they were always over to see what I was doing. Felt like a community project. I just love good neighbors, known most of them since their kids were in diapers.
Thats the way neighbors should be!

Old 06-14-2008, 10:00 AM   #116
milled

I'd like to see those code inforcement officers visit my old home town of miami. Spefically a place called liberty city and inforce code!! They would be carried out.

Bottom line every year ledislators write more laws inorder to restrice commerce, collect more tax revenue and keep everyone looking the SAME. And they have 1000's of cops willing to inforce any law with deadly force. I think it totally SUCKS and in some situations its enoulf to crack even normal people. Our biggest threat is this new NAZI-save the world party. Thats why I live in the county and if they restrict that then I'll keep moving till I discover freedom.

The bad neighbor thing is fixed by selling you're spread to a large latin american family and the rest is history, they'll wish you were back!
Old 06-14-2008, 10:17 AM   #117
Shane
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieboy93 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane
If it isn't illegal, then by all means, do as you wish and enjoy your freedom and your land. Just as jayharrell stated in an earlier post, if it is illegal and you don't agree with said law or ordinance, then get involved with local politics and have the law / ordinance changed.
Where do we disagree? You said exactly the same thing I did.

Last edited by Shane; 06-14-2008 at 10:39 AM.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:28 AM   #118
hdflstf

I've got a couple of neighbors that hate my truck too. It's a daily driver. One goes nuts if I park it in front of her house (on the public street) the other doesn't want me to park on the street in front of my own house - says I need to put it in the driveway. It's ok for her son to park his POS car in front of their house though.
Funny thing is that when something is broken, needs fixed, or they need to borrow tools, I'm the first place they visit. I'm supposed to drop everything to go help. Guess I'm too good of a neighbor to say no D'oh!
hdflstf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:34 PM   #119
Arad68
Trucks N Tranzams

Quote:
Originally Posted by caminokid View Post
Well in my situation....it would be different if I had vehicles in the drive with no plates and they didnt run...stuff like that. Guys I am not trying to offend anyone...even though I did one person. I am not the only one in this neighborhood that calls this little Nazi Germany. To fully understand whats going on here...you would have to live here. Not all of this town is like that. I was told if it cant be seen from the street then there is nothing that can be done about it. We wanted to put up a privacy fence....the nosy neighbor wont allow it. He said and I quote...I want to be able to see whats going on over there. Aint none of his damn business whats going on over here.

The project truck is in the garage. The dd is in the driveway...and drives everyday. The only other thing in the drive is the trailer. As of yesterday...finished. What I am talking about is an old man that has nothing better to do then whine all the time ab out everything and get the neighborhood association guy all riled up.

Sorry to have offended you on the Nazi statement. But the neighborhood guy acts like hitler to everyone. Thats why I called this Nazism. It wasnt directed at anyone but this neighborhood. Once again I am sorry to have offended you.
Thanks for the apology...That goes a long way showing you have great character and with me if that really matters.

I definitely agree about the old man minding his bussiness, He needs to.

It's never easy dealing with an HOA or the code enforcement officer. I was able to do it by displaying that I didn't fit the stereotype of the people they were trying to change. I presented myself as an honest, law abiding guy with a decent hobby and convincing them that I did care about their cause. In essence I showed them there was room for both of us in the big picture. Now they leave me alone knowing all of this.

I also believe that we are losing some rights promised to us by the Constitution as far as privacy and freedom, but I also feel that it is necesary in weeding out the people that have ill will to our way of life and who we are.

Sorry to hear about your arm I hope it heals better than new.

'68 Chevy LB 383 TH400/GV/373 posi
'56 Chevy 4WD SWB
'64 Chevy short stepside
'79 Trans Am 455/TH2004R/12blt/4whldisc
95 Kia (Wifes car)
2002 S-10 extended cab pickup
"God punishes small sins immediately"

Last edited by Arad68; 06-14-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Arad68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:17 PM   #120
ckhd

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer72 View Post
I've been considering having somebody paint the mural of exactly what the trucks look like just to piss them off.
Now that's funny!

If I had any painting talent, I'd offer to come paint it for you for free!

1968 K20 fleet
1969 K10 swb fleet
1972 K10 Suburban
1972 C10 lwb step
1992 K1500 'burb
1995 K2500 'burb
1997 C1500 'burb
1999 K1500
2000 K1500 'burb

Why do I own so many Suburbans?
ckhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 04:54 PM   #121
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arad68 View Post
Thanks for the apology...That goes a long way showing you have great character and with me if that really matters.

I definitely agree about the old man minding his bussiness, He needs to.

It's never easy dealing with an HOA or the code enforcement officer. I was able to do it by displaying that I didn't fit the stereotype of the people they were trying to change. I presented myself as an honest, law abiding guy with a decent hobby and convincing them that I did care about their cause. In essence I showed them there was room for both of us in the big picture. Now they leave me alone knowing all of this.

I also believe that we are losing some rights promised to us by the Constitution as far as privacy and freedom, but I also feel that it is necesary in weeding out the people that have ill will to our way of life and who we are.

Sorry to hear about your arm I hope it heals better than new.
Its healing pretty good. As long as I have the pain killers in me...I can do what I am supposed to do. I had the neighbor pacing in his yard today. I took the trailer apart to get the Posi out from under it and put a non posi back in. I even took the bed off...I guess out of spite. It made it easier to get to the trailing arm bolts. The whole time I am out there...the neighbor was pacing back and forth to his garage. When I was done...the trailer was back together and I cleaned up the stuff that was in the trailer...put it right back in it. Nothing left on the ground. I was hoping he was going to come over and tell me I wasnt going to do that....I had everything planned out in my mind of what I was going to say to him. If I was to tell you guys what I was going to say....there would be alot of $^%&^(*()&)(_*)(^&^$^#%#@!

Last edited by caminokid; 06-14-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:16 PM   #122
Arad68
Trucks N Tranzams

Quote:
Originally Posted by caminokid View Post
Its healing pretty good. As long as I have the pain killers in me...I can do what I am supposed to do. I had the neighbor pacing in his yard today. I took the trailer apart to get the Posi out from under it and put a non posi back in. I even took the bed off...I guess out of spite. It made it easier to get to the trailing arm bolts. The whole time I am out there...the neighbor was pacing back and forth to his garage. When I was done...the trailer was back together and I cleaned up the stuff that was in the trailer...put it right back in it. Nothing left on the ground. I was hoping he was going to come over and tell me I wasnt going to do that....I had everything planned out in my mind of what I was going to say to him. If I was to tell you guys what I was going to say....there would be alot of $^%&^(*()&)(_*)(^&^$^#%#@!
That's really funny!!! Sounds like you had a good time. Who knows, In time you might get a laugh out of the old man!!!!

'68 Chevy LB 383 TH400/GV/373 posi
'56 Chevy 4WD SWB
'64 Chevy short stepside
'79 Trans Am 455/TH2004R/12blt/4whldisc
95 Kia (Wifes car)
2002 S-10 extended cab pickup
"God punishes small sins immediately"
Arad68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:41 PM   #123
blazer72
Freedom isn't Free

Well, after 16 hours of cursing, grunting, sweating (90+ degrees), a sunburned neck, and wishing very ill will to the neighbors, 192 feet of 6 foot privacy fence is up.

Grand total: approx. $1600 fencing materials, 24 corona lights (bottled), and 3 gallons of sweat.

I even had a professional fence installer stop by and want to trade a truck for labor - I was in a bad state of mind - I almost did it - but he wanted my best cabbed truck, and my dad's stepside bed. Just couldn't do it. I offered him my extra Jimmy/Blazer, but he wants a stepside.
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2008, 05:48 PM   #124
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

I reckon it's time to "uglify" the other side of the fence.

I've always been partial to fluorescent greens, oranges, and purples; all kind of mixed an matched in no particular order.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:52 PM   #125
blazer72
Freedom isn't Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jay View Post
I reckon it's time to "uglify" the other side of the fence.

I've always been partial to fluorescent greens, oranges, and purples; all kind of mixed an matched in no particular order.
I like the way you think - we should have a beer sometime.