The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2008, 10:48 AM   #26
HoupPhotography

Re: "klunking" when I turn....

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrik View Post
Erm...dunno? Did I mention I'm *not* a mechanic enough yet? =]

Yeah, don't sweat that dude! EVERYONE started somewhere and the benefit for you is techknowledgy. You have more help than you cam imagine right here at your finger tips....
Old 04-06-2008, 03:19 PM   #27
elektrik
Foolish Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoupPhotography View Post
You guys are going to beat me for this......

Check your ask tray, seriously! I had the same problem just the other day, when I would turn I heard a clunk noise, which really irritated me.
Nice Try Houp-I said I wasn't a mechanic, I didn't say I was gullible
elektrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:21 PM   #28
elektrik
Foolish Mortal

Ya, I think I'm gonna try the add oil route, however I get the feeling that I'll have to replace that seal though, cause it definitely looks like alot (if not all) of the oil has leaked out over the years (the bottom part of the differential is oil-soaked).

I'll let ya know and thanks for the support!
Old 04-06-2008, 03:31 PM   #29
special-K
Special Order

Is there a bottle between the passenger seat and door.That one had me worried until I had someone ride with me and the bottle fell out.My son left it there.
A rear end fluid change is always a good thing.If you can jack a wheel up you can check if it`s a posi.If the raised wheel won`t turn,it`s a posi.If it is a posi and a fluid change w/additive doesn`t cure it I`d look at the bushings in the panhard bar and trailing arms.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:39 PM   #30
Sonny

I had a front end "clunk" that eluded me for the longest time. I never could find it so I rebuilt the entire front end. I put it back on the road and the clunk was still there. Come to find out is the tabs on the front disc brake pads were bent out enough to let them move around. It was just enough movement to make a "clunk" when you would stop or go. A little malletization to the tabs where the pads fit tight and no more clunk. Too bad it cost me a couple hundered dollars to figure that one out. On the bright side the tuck has a fresh front end on it...

New Project: 67 Small window SWB

2006 Crew Cab Silverado LT

Last edited by Sonny; 04-06-2008 at 03:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:47 PM   #31
Boog
laying low

Yeah, I remember my first time. Not that first time but my first time experiencing the rear end klunk. Posi rear in my old truck. Turning at slow speed it bumped and bumped. It felt like the driveline was sort of binding up somewhere. Naturally I thought something MAJOR was wrong and an older mechanic told me to change the rear end oil and add a small bottle of GM posi additive. I did and the klunk was gone, for good.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:37 PM   #32
larry may

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoupPhotography View Post
You guys are going to beat me for this......

Check your ask tray, seriously! I had the same problem just the other day, when I would turn I heard a clunk noise, which really irritated me. So, I looked everything over the front end, crawled underneath didn't find anything. So my son and I (he's 4) start heading for home and i hear the "klunk" again, so I turn back and forth hear ir again and look right at my ash try, that can't be where that klumk is coming from there's nothing in there. So for kicks, I open it and sure enough there is a 58 socket in there rolling around making this klunk noise. My son looks at me and say, " daddy I put tools in there in case we needed them......

THe dumb part is, it really sounds like a front end "klunk"
Not too bad at 4 years old. He knows how to keep you on your toes.

Thou shalt be cool and not hassle

Be a site supporter.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool inclines to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2
larry may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:42 PM   #33
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
If you can jack a wheel up you can check if it`s a posi.If the raised wheel won`t turn,it`s a posi.
Ah, that only works if you are in neutral too. If you only raise one wheel while in gear/park, it won't turn anyway. The spinning of one wheel has to have somewhere to go. If one turns, the other has to turn, either with it or opposite...or the driveshaft has to turn.
Also, if you brakes are too tight, this can all be deceiving.

What rear end is in the truck? If it is a locker, no amount of "posi additive" will fix it.
My initial thought from the OP was brakes. Drums in front?
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:02 PM   #34
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

[QUOTE=LBJ;2663439]Grease and add lube oil to everything in sight!

I had the driveshaft making noise in my 91 GMC. I removed it to try to replace the u-joints. They were held in there with some kind of injected plastic. I decided NOT to try to replace them. I just greased them with some newly installed zerks and replaced the shaft. Everything was fine after that.QUOTE]

I was lookin' to see if anyone would mention greasing "stuff".

I had a '76 Blazer with a pronounced clunk when stopping/starting. The previous owner was from France, working here to train bellhops at a new hotel, and didn't know we had paved roads in Arkansas, hence the 4WD. The Chevy dealership knew they had a rube in the hand and proceeded to help them spend a couple thousand bucks to "fix" it. Part-time kit in the front end; replaced the inner axle bearings, new torque convertor bolts (left one of them in the nose of the starter....another issue) and replaced the door jamb switches. Clunk still there. It had a set of 10-inch white spokes and 12.00x15's on all four corners and sang like crazy on the highway.

Pulled off the wheels/tires. Installed 8-inch wide wheels and 31x11.50's. It's now quieter. Still clunks, but not so bad. Took it for an oil/lube. Greased the slip yokes on the front end, plus all the other lube points. Noise gone.

It may not be a lubrication issue, but it's certainly something to be done on a regular basis. Not driving them very often, and those that have been parked for a while, are susceptible to "grease worms" that eat up the grease on your vehicles. Once the "worms" eat all the grease, parts start to wear....or worse.

Feed the Grease Worms!!!

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:56 PM   #35
HoupPhotography

Quote:
Nice Try Houp-I said I wasn't a mechanic, I didn't say I was gullible

No dude, I'm serious..... that actually happened!
Old 04-07-2008, 01:30 AM   #36
tim21391

i had a clunk in the rear end whenever i put it in reverse and when i go from gas to brake to gas again or let off of gas and then go back to it...and when i took off it sounded like metal or something was being stretched so i take it to a guy i know from autozone and he crawled around and figured my rear end u bolts were bad and about to bust off so i took it and had new u bolts put on the rear end and that solved that problem...theres my 2 cents
2013 Mustang V6/6speed w/300 ponies
I may be 23, but i sure do knows 67-72s are sexy!
Its not MPG its smiles per gallon!
build started 11/25/08
build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=2993796
tim21391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:24 AM   #37
elektrik
Foolish Mortal

The "klunk" is more of a "side" klunk-definitely different from the pulsing I feel when I apply the drum brakes (ya ya, gotta look at that some other time-one problem at a time )

Gonna head to the parts store on Friday (day off)..

Last edited by elektrik; 04-09-2008 at 05:24 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:31 PM   #38
tim21391

heres what the guy showed me from auto zone..if u go to your rear wheel..and move it with your hands he showed me my trailing arms ( i think thats what they are called) and showed me moving on my mounting pads and showed me how my rusty u bolts were shiney in that spot and said to hurry up and change them so i did and it solved my klunk...i had a real nasty klunk when i put it in reverse and when u play with the gas pedal goin down the road like give it gas brake gas etc..
2013 Mustang V6/6speed w/300 ponies
I may be 23, but i sure do knows 67-72s are sexy!
Its not MPG its smiles per gallon!
build started 11/25/08
build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=2993796
tim21391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #39
Zonaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Could be a trailing arm bushing or panhard bar.How does it go down the road?When hitting the gas hard,does it pull to one side?If not,it still could be what I mentioned.A bushing would have to be real bad to effect tracking,but can clunk with just enough wear.
I vote for trailing arm bushing, I've rebuilt my suspension, most of what's been suggested, except for these- and I get the same thing.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:58 PM   #40
WorkinLonghorn

Quote:
I FEEL a sort of "klunk" when I let the brake off
That was the original post. Later he said it was probably coming from the back.
I would check the brakes in the back maybe for soaked shoes that are sticking and suddenly releasing.
That would need to be fixed right away.Take a look at those brakes.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 04:23 AM   #41
elektrik
Foolish Mortal

Update:
1. I found out it has factory positraction.
2. I went to the Auto parts store to get some gear oil and the seal.
3. As a temporary test, I added the gear oil to see if the problem went away (before actually "fixing" the seal). The problem *seems* to have gone away somewhat, so I'm going to replace the seal when I have more time, since it looks like it all leaked out (based solely on how it looks from the outside). Indeed, it took half a bottle up to the screw hole, so it was at least low.
4. I say the problem seems to go away somewhat because it's still doing it a little.

More info if I figure it out...
Old 06-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #42
Big Chief

I'm having the same issue. I was ready to replace my whole rear axle, but I think I'll try the "oil change" route first too. Any update on yours?
Big Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:25 PM   #43
Big Chief

El-jay you were correct, at least in my case. I drained the rear end and put in some new posi-lube and gear oil and my gmc is running smooth as silk. Thanks for the help. I even repainted my diff cover and sealed it up nicely so it's all good. Thanks again.
Big Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:01 PM   #44
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Update:
1. I found out it has factory positraction.
2. I went to the Auto parts store to get some gear oil and the seal.
3. As a temporary test, I added the gear oil to see if the problem went away (before actually "fixing" the seal). The problem *seems* to have gone away somewhat, so I'm going to replace the seal when I have more time, since it looks like it all leaked out (based solely on how it looks from the outside). Indeed, it took half a bottle up to the screw hole, so it was at least low.
4. I say the problem seems to go away somewhat because it's still doing it a little.

More info if I figure it out...
Don't forget the Posi lube. It's different than gear oil and you need it for the positraction.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:07 PM   #45
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Chief View Post
El-jay you were correct, at least in my case. I drained the rear end and put in some new posi-lube and gear oil and my gmc is running smooth as silk. Thanks for the help. I even repainted my diff cover and sealed it up nicely so it's all good. Thanks again.
I'm glad that worked for you.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck

Last edited by El Jay; 06-15-2008 at 02:07 PM.
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote