The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > S10 S15 Luv Blazer

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
90\87Formula

Changing Throttle Position Sensor

I just bought an '84 extended cab pickup with a 2.8L V6 and auto trans.
How hard is it to replace the TPS. I've got the Chilton's book, but it doesn't go into much detail on removal and replacing.
The reason I want to replace the TPS is because it idles a little rough, hard to get going, some times it trys to die when stopped. When you try to accelerate, it hesitates. If you pump the pedal or floor it, it will gradually accelerate; but not like it should.
I know it's not a speed-demon, even if running right.
I don't have any testing equipment to check codes. No check engine lights come on.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:56 PM   #2
rakerkman

Re: Changing Throttle Position Sensor

I have an 82 S10 with the same problem. I had to order the TPS and it will be here Wednesday. I have a Haynes manual that gives a kind of vague description as well. Once I get it and start working on it I will post what I had to do for ya.

rakerkman

2011 Silverado 1500 EXT 4x4 5.3L 6L80

1969 C-10 Longbed project in parts
rakerkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:46 AM   #3
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

TPS are easy to replace. Disconnect it from the wiring harness. Using a torque hex driver (at least on other GM vehicles) remove the two holding screws. Install is the reverse.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
90\87Formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchemist View Post
TPS are easy to replace. Disconnect it from the wiring harness. Using a torque hex driver (at least on other GM vehicles) remove the two holding screws. Install is the reverse.
It's not on the outside of the carb/tb.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
90\87Formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakerkman View Post
I have an 82 S10 with the same problem. I had to order the TPS and it will be here Wednesday. I have a Haynes manual that gives a kind of vague description as well. Once I get it and start working on it I will post what I had to do for ya.

rakerkman
thanks. I appreciate any help I can get on this. I don't want to be taking off parts that I don't need to.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:31 PM   #6
rakerkman

To replace my TPS I had to remove the carb from the engine. Then I had to take apart enough of it that it was close to a whole rebuild anyway so I rebuilt it. If you decide to do it yourself be careful with the mixture control solenoid on the top when removing it. After removing the three bolts that hold it in use a slight twisting motion during removal to ensure that the small parts on the end do not fall off down into the carb. It happened to me and was a pain in the hind end to get them back out and put back together. i priced a new mixture control solenoid and its like a $160. Another thing that could help that I didn't do and had to trial and error it was marking where all the linkages went on the outside of the carb. I hope this helps you.

Ross

2011 Silverado 1500 EXT 4x4 5.3L 6L80

1969 C-10 Longbed project in parts
rakerkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #7
90\87Formula

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakerkman View Post
To replace my TPS I had to remove the carb from the engine. Then I had to take apart enough of it that it was close to a whole rebuild anyway so I rebuilt it. If you decide to do it yourself be careful with the mixture control solenoid on the top when removing it. After removing the three bolts that hold it in use a slight twisting motion during removal to ensure that the small parts on the end do not fall off down into the carb. It happened to me and was a pain in the hind end to get them back out and put back together. i priced a new mixture control solenoid and its like a $160. Another thing that could help that I didn't do and had to trial and error it was marking where all the linkages went on the outside of the carb. I hope this helps you.

Ross
thanks for the info. I'm still really afraid to tackle this one. I gotta do it though, or that little truck will never get on the road.