The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2024, 06:41 PM   #1
Brody54

Mechanic cut frame to fit headers, how bad is it?

Hey all, it’s been awhile and my truck has been getting worked on over a year for an engine/ tranny swap. The engine came from a 69 Camaro but same thing, small block Chevy and turbo 400 out and in. Just higher performance and a 383.

Anyways the mechanic kept the headers from the Camaro and cut the frame to make them fit. I’m not happy at all and looking to get a second opinion. How bad is it, and my concern is the frame cracking eventually.
Attached Images

Brody54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 06:57 PM   #2
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Mechanic cut frame to fit headers, how bad is it?

I don't think I'd call that dude a "mechanic". Especially if a SBC engine swap took over a year. But the frame will be fine. It appears he drilled a big hole to get a saw blade in there. There are a couple of spots that should get welded up a bit. It's unsightly, yet repairable.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 07:23 PM   #3
HO455
Post Whore

Personally I would be concerned with cracks starting in the spots with red arrows and possibly at the yellow arrow too. The photo makes it had to tell if the spot at the yellow arrow has any sharp corners. The mechanic had the rights idea when he drilled the hole at the front end but lost it in execution. Those 2 cuts from the saw blade in the drilled spot are prime places for cracks to start.

And if it was my truck I would weld in a patch piece similar to the green out line in the second photo. The PO of my Burban cut the frame but with a torch which didn't leave any sharp corners. I only had to grind the slag off and make sure there were no sharp corners for cracks to start. Without measuring I don't believe the cutout in my Burban's frame is as deep into the Cee of the frame as yours is, but it is close.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 07:40 PM   #4
57larry

you need to sue "the mechanic"
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 07:43 PM   #5
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Personally I would be concerned with cracks starting in the spots with red arrows and possibly at the yellow arrow too. The photo makes it had to tell if the spot at the yellow arrow has any sharp corners. The mechanic had the rights idea when he drilled the hole at the front end but lost it in execution. Those 2 cuts from the saw blade in the drilled spot are prime places for cracks to start.

And if it was my truck I would weld in a patch piece similar to the green out line in the second photo. The PO of my Burban cut the frame but with a torch which didn't leave any sharp corners. I only had to grind the slag off and make sure there were no sharp corners for cracks to start. Without measuring I don't believe the cutout in my Burban's frame is as deep into the Cee of the frame as yours is, but it is close.
Agree; I would probably weld a shaped plate on top to provide a little reinforement but mostly to clean up the appearance.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 08:01 PM   #6
54blackhornet

Question? Could you drill holes further outside the cut and bolt a plate on top for rigidity and removable ?
Old 01-10-2024, 09:00 PM   #7
Sicklajoie
The Niner

Clean job with mine, looks like the factory did it.
Attached Images

Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 09:40 PM   #8
BRL

FerKrissakes get some headers that clear the frame to begin with!

...then get a new mechanic.

But since you're already in this situation, do like others have said and reinforce the frame, otherwise every time you start pulling some torque out of that 383 the thought will be in the back of your mind.

...just my worthless opinion.
BRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 10:30 PM   #9
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Angry Re: Mechanic cut frame to fit headers, how bad is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post

I agree, he chopped/ butchered your frame, get the correct "truck" headers and get the frame repaired or it will crack. many years ago my cousin bought a really nice K20 with a big block in it and the frame looked about as bad as yours. we pulled the motor and the front clip, cut patch pieces from a parts truck and I took it to the muffler shop where I work and welded them in top and bottom. cleaned the welds on the top side, primed and repainted it. from the top side you could not tell it was repaired but it still had a good bead on the underside.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 10:34 PM   #10
LS short box

I would get in there with a die grinder and get rid of the drill hole and then a make a plate 3/16" contoured as needed to allow room for the header. Butt weld it in and grind flush.
As shown above it would of been much better to pull the header and and die grind the frame a bit until you had good clearance.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 11:36 PM   #11
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

The guy never hear of "tuning dings", methinks. Dents in the headers wouldn't have hurt performance much (if at all), and the frame would have been fine, left alone.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 11:50 PM   #12
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54blackhornet View Post
Question? Could you drill holes further outside the cut and bolt a plate on top for rigidity and removable ?
A bolted plate is not going to give it much strength. It needs to be welded.
Old 01-11-2024, 12:48 AM   #13
3drburb

It should be fixed as said above and you should also look around to see what else the butcher hacked up for what should be a simple install.
3drburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 01:36 AM   #14
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Wow. Someone really wanted those headers.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 12:08 AM   #15
novaX522

My truck has Hedman headers, not sure what they are supposed to fit. Previous owner clearanced the frame. I thought it was a decent job.
I agree with the others, I would use cardboard as a template on yours and make a patch piece and weld it in. From the pictures, it doesn’t look like much clearance is needed for your headers. Also agree not to use that mechanic 🤪 going forward.
Attached Images

novaX522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 06:16 PM   #16
72SB

This would qualify as a "hack" mod. A good welder can box in that area and clean it up. May have to pull the header on that side for welding access. This can be fixed to look right and restore, actually improve, structural integrity of the frame.
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote