The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2004, 10:01 PM   #1
zzChevy
BANNED

pulled column questions

I just finished pulling my tilt column out of the '85 in preparation for the swap I am going to be doing with an '86.

Believe it or not, removing the column was fairly simple. Took less than an hour. Once removed I was able to determine the high low/beam switch and ignition switch. Do you know what the white thing is at the base of the column just before the firewall? It has two prongs and is adjustable from about 12-2 o'clock. I can't figure it out. Nothing else goes to it.

Im thinking it might be the neutral safety switch.

Some of the benefits I will be getting from the swap is regaining my cruise control and remove the slop while shifting as well. How can I tell if the swapped columns cruise will be vacuum or electric?
Thanks
zzChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 10:22 PM   #2
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

you hit the nail right on the head... NS switch.

if it helps any, my 86 has vac actuated cruise.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 10:54 PM   #3
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

That white thing IS the neutral/safety switch for an automatic transmission. Go to the Chevy dealer and print their section of the shop manual for the cruise control. The Cruise control is usually a vacuum/ electronic unit in the 85 and 86 Chevys. The control unit on the engine is run by vacuum, where the controls are a little of both. The switch that is worked by the brake pedal is a vacuum breaker to shut off the cruise control when you apply the brake pedal. It is installed and adjusted just like the brake switch. The cruise unit is a small box on the firewall just above the gas pedal (inside the cab). The speed sensor is a wire that is attached to the speedometer cluster on the back of the instrument panel. In the old models it was a sensor mounted on the driveshaft of the vehicle, or a control box on the inner fenderwell that the speedo cable went through. The vacuum unit on the engine has a couple of hoses mounted on it and a four or five wire plug for the feedback circuit, as well as the rod to the carb linkage.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 07:33 PM   #4
zzChevy
BANNED

Thanks piecesparts. Any idea as to why the Neutral Saftey switch is adjustable like that?
zzChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 10:01 PM   #5
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

There is always room for adjustment on anything. The column will have some error in th amount of play the transmission has in it, and a different transmission will be either a little looser or tighter than the last one. With that in mind, you may have to adjust the switch to ensure that your backup lights and your transmission neutral start position is right so that you don't have to wiggle the column around to find the right spot. Ther are also two different types of neutral safety switches in the world of pickups. One will have the neutral switch ONLY, and the other will have the Neutral safety switch and the backup light switch for your truck. The number of wires attached will be a good hint as to which one it is.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote