The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2004, 06:09 PM   #1
ecameron87

Hard top into a half top?

Has anyone cut a hard top into a half top with the back open like the 1976-1991 model blazers? I tried searching on it, but couldn't find anything. Any pics of this? I am not currently planning on doing this, but would like to see how it would look.

I do recall many years ago on this forum where someone cut the top like mentioned above and grafted the back 12 or so inches of the top to the front. I liked it, but wondered if there are any picks of just the front half of the hard top on our year blazers.

Thanks!
ecameron87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 06:13 PM   #2
mister.freeze

Somebody posted a deal where they found tops like you want out of metal. It made for an extra short pickup. I'm thinking about hacking mine into a 2 piece deal to make it modular and easier to take on/off.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:05 PM   #3
71 Blazer CST man
Account Suspended

ya if you guys find a half cab/bulkhead, Lemme know!
71 Blazer CST man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 07:01 AM   #4
vtblazer

Tops

I was thinking about cutting off the front of my hard top were it attatches
to the windshield frame and then use my soft top to make some sort of bikini top, I'm trying to get away from the need to drill all those snaps into the body/windshield frame.
Anybody tried that yet?
Never really cared much for the fit of my soft top anyway
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 07:54 PM   #5
Huskerboy2

Coincidentally, I just saw one earlier this week while driving home from work. In fact, I saw it twice this week on two separate days. Once close up and once far away. IMO, it looked like s&%t up close, but when I saw it from a distance, it looked like s#%t.

I guess the guy had a double wall top, because I could see the gap between the walls all the way around. I'm not sure what it would look like if you did it with a single wall top, but IMO it would look like s&%t.

I remember being at the stop light looking at that poor rig, lifted to the point where it was ready to tip over on it's side and not a straight spot on any body panel. I thought to myself, that guy sat there in his driveway one day with a case of beer and said, "What else can I do to butcher this classic"? "Hmmm, where's that die grinder and cutoff wheel"?
Old 06-11-2004, 09:31 AM   #6
ecameron87

I just saw one yesterday on a 1974 Blazer. It was clearly an offroad blazer all beat up with some nice Custon bumpers on it. He cut the top too far back so that 6" of the side windows were still showing. If he would only cut it closer to the front it would look better.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:50 AM   #7
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

There is a thread on CK5.com about this. Sounds like someone has already done this...

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showfla.../1#Post1110141
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 08:31 AM   #8
vtblazer

Cutting op

Huskerboy2, not exactly what I had in mind...
I'm considering cutting only the front 3 or 4 inches off, just enough to let me mount it to the windshield frame as per factory...then have my soft top or bikini top mount onto that part, instead of directly onto the metal frame.
Hoping to avoid drilling all the snap holes. Just finished welding in all the 'extra' holes that the truck already had not looking to make more.
Good link to C/K5 Bouncy, that looks interesting...but I doubt you'll be doing it to your newest one...
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 12:52 PM   #9
BLAZERFAN

I happen to have two such tops. One from a damaged '71, used it on my '70 and on my '72 I picked one up from a guy who had taken the hatch and fiberglassed it into the front section. The first one was something I did after I saw a really nice custom job on
the '72 of a guy I worked with. It was really sweet, totally sealed like a pickup cab. But it was also $1,500.00. So when this damaged one came about I got out my jigsaw and went to town. I never fiberg'd the outline of the cut so yeah you see the gap between the two walls. But it worked fine. Very easy one man on/off. I just cut it far enough back to utilize the first set of mounting holes at the bottom. But I had to flair the cut out at the bottom in order to salvage the mounting hole , and miss the indent for the glass on the side of the top. And the one with the hatch in it also works fine. It's more difficult to remove/install , but one guy can do it. The back of it is flat and does not contour like pickup cab. But both not all that bad looking. Both trucks currently have full tops on. But I'll try to get some pics of just the tops to post
BLAZERFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 01:03 PM   #10
ecameron87

That is exactly what I am looking for. The Guy on ColoradoK5 took it a step further. I am not a full member over there so I cannot post. If you can get pics of just the front section that would be great. My Idea was to put the front half on and get a CanBack top made for the back half or use a 76 to 91 model soft top with it. Just playing around with the Idea.
Thanks alot!
Old 06-13-2004, 06:54 PM   #11
TonyJohnson

The one on ColoradoK5 is mine. I didn't do the work, but will post pics when I get around to pulling the top.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:08 AM   #12
TonyJohnson

Re: Hard top into a half top?

I've finally gotten the truck on the road, but haven't pulled the top yet. I've got an email in to get the bikini top, so I'll pull it then. I may get bored/brave sooner, depending on how hot it gets here...

As you can see, it's a little funky, but is pretty tight sheds all but the most direct/heavy water (like a power spray...) Here's some pics:

Old 07-06-2006, 02:54 PM   #13
ecameron87

Thanks for posting the pics. It is quite the interesting setup. If you can, take a pic of it with the back half off. I always wanted to know what that would look like.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:59 PM   #14
TonyJohnson

Shouldn't be too long before I've got a place to put it... Then it's coming off!
Old 07-06-2006, 05:15 PM   #15
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Hey Tony does that leak? Not that Blazers are water tight
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:42 PM   #16
TonyJohnson