The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2004, 12:17 AM   #1
Joe R

Question about my 72 Cheyenne Super Camper Special

Hi guys,

Forgive the newbness of my question and what I am about to ask. I hate to come to a new message board and start off by asking about selling my truck but here goes. I put my truck up on the members section of the Chevelles.com board to get some suggestions about prices and if I was asking to much or too little. One of the guys said my price was low. Not sure how to say this but I was wondering if I could get some opinions from you guys. Here is the rundown of what I have.

72 3/4 ton Super Cheyenne, camper special package, 400 BB, turbo 400 tranny, power disc brakes, power steering, no A/C. Most of the original parts are still on it, did a little resto work to the interior. New decals on the dash cluster and glovebox, new door panels (old ones were to far gone), lower door carpet to cover ugly speaker holes. The paint is about 8 years old so it has some chips and scratches but still shines since it was garage kept up until I moved (one of the reasons I'm selling it ). The bed has a bedliner and is pretty rough underneath, the liner is starting to crack a bit too. Basically I'm just looking for opinions. I was going to ask $7500 for it but now I dont know. Here a couple quick picks hopefully it will let you guys see them from my Chevelles.com account. Please feel free to be brutally honest, and dont hate me cause I'm selling It took me 2 years to finally do it, the loss of the garage room for it put me over the edge. But dont worry everything else I still have is GM only

Sorry for the long winded speech here are the pics.

http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/70...e/DCP_0165.JPG

http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/70...e/DCP_0169.JPG
Joe R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 03:04 AM   #2
Jemost 72
Southern Bowties

First, Its a beautiful truck! Here's an opinion for you:
1) Super Cheyenne [+]
2) 400/400 [+]
3) PS and PB [+]
4) Shiny paint [+]
5) No A/C, big [-] if you're in the south
6) 3/4 ton - This will narrow the buyers market, but, since its a Camper Special, it will be a [+] for some1 looking for a 3/4 ton.

You didnt give any info on the condition of the engine/tranny-original with how many miles, rebuilt, or crate motor. That would be a major factor for me to spend that much on it. I think the price will depend on finding the right buyer thats looking for a truck like this. The original quality of it would attract me, cause I'm a stocker. Here's my opinion on 1/2 ton prices:
Under $1000-parts truck, unless you get lucky.
$1000-$5000-decent powertrain, decent body/driving fixer-upper
$5000-$10000-Good drivetrain, good body, good paint
$10000-$15000-Fresh drivetrain, fresh body, fresh paint
$15000 and up- Accurate restoration or customization, all new.

Just my thoughts, anyone disagree?
Old 07-10-2004, 08:23 AM   #3
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Once you price it, you have set the upper limit. I have never been involved in a deal in which you went up on the price in trying to sell it. You can always lower it....and, I don't go to auctions.

I think your price is probably a fair price. You're in California, right? Most of the time, that usually means a fairly rust free vehicle. When you compare the price of your truck, with new trucks, then factor in depreciation....you have a good truck for a good price.

All you can do is see what happens. If you get a lot of hits and it goes quickly, you might assume that you had it priced too low. But, it may be that you had it price right and it just sold quickly.

I am sure that gasoline prices factor in to the equation....with you guys having some of the highest in the nation. Take the engine and body combo, and you have a fairly weighty vehicle that never did get great mileage. That may drive some away.

But, you have very nice looking truck. I wish $1500 would make mine look as good as yours, but it's gonna take more. I've got $6K in mine, and no chance at getting much of back.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 09:28 AM   #4
Joe R

Thanks guys, the drivetrain is in good shape. The motor I believe has maybe 50k on the rebuild, still the original block and tranny. The tranny was rebuilt about 20k ago, frontend was rebuilt about the same time with rubber bushings. The springs do need replaced the front, I have them just never put them in. Yes gas is a killer over here right now and this truck is lucky to get 8-10 MPG. No A/C is a real pain. My thing is I would really want to sell it to someone who will take care of it. So I want to price it high enough to weed out the goofballs but not to high that I scare off a good buyer. I'd take a hit on the price to sell it to someone I know will take care of her.

I will probably leave it as is, right now I just listed it in the local paper, if I dont get any interests I might throw it on Ebay to see if I can get some interest. Unfortunately it doesnt do the poor truck any good sitting in front of the new house exposed to the weather and the neighbor kids with their basketballs

Thanks for all the input guys, appreciate it.
Joe
Old 07-10-2004, 03:43 PM   #5
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Where in CA are you located? I'm coming to Sacramento, at the end of the month, for a weeklong visit with my youngest son.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 04:50 PM   #6
Joe R

I'm in Modesto, about an hour or so south of Sacramento (depending on how fast you drive )