The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2004, 07:31 PM   #1
skid

Anybody Install a 31 Gallon 2nd Gen. Gas Tank?

I just reinstalled my original tank with all new hoses (except the fill hose) and figured I had my gas tank leak fixed. I thought the vent hose was leaking when the tank was full because I found a crack in the hose. Well, it appears the tank is STILL leaking where the fill pipe goes into the tank. I inspected the tank closely but saw no leak point, but with the tank all cleaned up and painted, I can definately see it coming from that area.

At least when I take it down this time, I won't get dirt in my eyes cause I scraped off all the mud and hosed it all off with the garden hose. I still have to drain the tank though...

Anyways, rather than fixing my original tank, I was thinking of installing a 31 gallon tank from a 91 Blazer. I can buy a new one for just over 200 Canuckian dollars. It has the baffles, etc. for an in tank fuel pump, as I am planning on going fuel injected in the future anyways. I know that the filler is on the wrong side, and the straps run the opposite way, but I have heard that you can flip the tank the opposite way and add a crossmember for the straps.

Has anyone tried this?
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 10:40 AM   #2
Mudder

The older style sending units will not work with the newer fuel injection tanks. The pump and sending units for the newer tank are very expensive compared to the 175.00 for the older sending unit. There is a small tray made into the newer tank that wont allow the older sending unit to be used.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote