The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2004, 03:27 PM   #1
DMNCLNR

Valve help

I posted this in the engine-drivetrain forum, but got ne responce. I am kind of stuck at my brothers til i get this fixed.
My valves were ticking, and i took up the cover to see if there were any obviously loose ones. well what i found was that the #1 cylinder, the very first valve's pushrod was spitting oil about 5 feet in the air. Now the only thing i could think of is that the others are plugged, (which is causing the ticking) and causing a ton of pressure to come out of the one? does this sound right? should i take the pushrods out and blow them out to see if they are clogged??? help me!
Wanted: any early V.Ws any condition!
DMNCLNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 09:19 PM   #2
chevman-67

Lightbulb

well heres my advise! try it or not.I have put lots of cams and seen the same thing before that 4 or 5 rockers were spraying lots of oil and others not. start your engine and adjust your valve lash to 0 degrees.take 1 side off at a time ( do both).loosen 1 rocker at a time untill you can here the ticking sound and retighten it untill the tick is gone.Then tighten it an additional 1/4 to 1/2 turn to seat the pushrod in the lifter. Do this to each 1.Somtimes when the rocker is loose it will tick and shoot oil across your garage you should notice that the oil will not shoot out as bad when adjusted.It should spurt out of all pushrods but not that bad.You should use a splash pan or a piece of tin cut the length of your head to help stop oil from getting on your manifolds as this can be dangerous!!If this dont help then try cleaning the pushrods and check all rockers and balls for a crack or wear.You may have a broken rocker.If not start looking into some workin the top of your motor eg. cam& lifters.hope this helps good luck.
gm's are #1

1967 chevrolet short step
1988 chev 4x4 1/2 ton
1989 gmc 1/2 ton
1991 chev 1/2 ton 4x4
1993 Jeep grand cherokee 4x4
And yes a 94 Ford Mustang.
chevman-67 is offline   Reply With Quote