The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2004, 08:25 PM   #1
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Stereo problems

I have 2 problems,and both are starting to really make me wanna throw the thing in floor and monster truck it

#1 Alternator noise.How do I get rid of it? Never had it before in the 75,and this is all the same stuff.Same engine,alternator,stereo,amp,same wire most of it.And it is terrible.So bad I unplugged the ground beside the road so I wouldn't have to listen to it the 3 miles home.

I have all the power wires ran to the battery,on a 2 seperate 12g wire,and then the stereo,and amp connected to that inside the cab.
Then the remote on connected to the fuse block to a switched terminal.

Problem #2.It cuts out at high volume.I have rewired,and checked the wiring 3-4 times,and it still does it.Sounds like it's stuttering,like it's a bad ground.I don't thinmk that's it though.I have the a ground strap to the frame from the cab,and from the engine to the cab.The stereo ground is connected to the bolt that holds the seat down.Should be a great ground.

The stereo operates fine with out the amp.I tried a different amp and it does the same thing.I think it's a big POS

any ideas,cause I'm about to go midevil
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 08:36 PM   #2
Alexis
Member since 2000

You're ****ed!

Sorry dude just had too. The reason it might be cutting out at high volume is cause it draining to much power and the alternator can't keep up with it.

Engine noise, means your RCA wires too are close to some power wire(s). Or your Radios a POS. If you ran the RCA away from all power wire, then you need to ground the RCA wire better. Take a little wire and slip it under the lip of the rca, ground the wire to the radio.

Sometimes running the power wire next to something that puts out high voltage can create noise. Like having the wire ran next to the coil. I'm afriad to ask the details on your wiring. I use to do custom audio..........most of the time I had to re-wire whole systems. I first started by ripping everything out literally and starting over. good luck.

Also how far is your ground from your radio?

Last edited by Alexis; 10-22-2004 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Re-edit my award winning commentary
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 09:22 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

In addition to what Alexis said, you may have what is called a dirty ground. Try running a bigger ground wire off your amp, and relocating it to another (clean) area. You would think that under the seat would be good, but relocating it may suprise you.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 09:56 PM   #4
Alexis
Member since 2000

Just adding more.........

What kind of amp do you have? What size power wire are you using? Is the ground equal? What kind of radio are we talking about? How are the RCA? Are they too long or too short?. Sometime running the RCA differently solves the problem. Electronics are wierd.
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 10:29 PM   #5
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

I have an old Panasonic cassette deck.Using a pyramid 240 watt 2 channel amp,and used 12g wire on both the hot and ground wires.
The rca patch is about 6 feet long.Not much length left over.

The power wire is connected directly to the battery,as in clamped in the terminal with the positive cable.This usually solves the alternator noise for me most of the time.

The amp is under the left side of the seat,and the sub is under the right,maybe the problem is with this.

Like I said I have used this whole setup in the other truck without issue.Maybe it's a sign to buy a CD player
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Old 10-22-2004, 10:47 PM   #6
longnlow72

an amp sub hooked to a tape deck lol
72 Chevy lwb, cowl hood, shaved antenna, shaved bedrails, blazer tank, sidemarker fill, 1pc windows, flowmaster 40's, alpine deck, infinity 6x9's, infinity 4"ers, 2 jl audio 10w0's, grant wheel, keyless entry and alarm, more waiting to be done...
longnlow72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 02:20 AM   #7
djracer

Brainchild,
I've been in the carstereo bus since 1986! The first thing I'd try is a new ground, also what size fuse is in that amp if its 20amp or more I'd go to atleast 10 ga wire. I wouldn't use an existing bolt of any kind for ground. I'd find a spot 12 inches or less from the amp if possible and scrape all the paint off the floor and put in a new screw with a star washer. You can pm me for my phone number I'd be happy to help. I also sell and install car audio still.

Special Thanks to All who have helped on the TRUCK!

My Pass Time Show http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...Chapter1-0.mp4

So Far my best Times are:

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
5.785 1/8 @ 118.65 with a 1.336 60ft
9.168 1/4 @ 142.58 with a 250 shot dead out of the hole!
djracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 02:24 AM   #8
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnlow72
an amp sub hooked to a tape deck lol
Yeah well it run what ya brung month here in MO.cause all my cash is tied up in this
I'm wanting a nice CD player,but it just isn't gonna happen right now

DJ, I will do some scraping/sanding/cussing tomorrow,and see if I can get a good ground.That is exactly what it acts like,I just have never had a problem getting it to work before.
Rusty Member #13872

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Old 10-23-2004, 02:26 AM   #9
71Longbed
Not Mine But A beauty

i had the same problem with the cd player cutting out my sound the problem was that my speaker was a little loose on the door and it would cause it to ground out and cut out the sound some im almost positive its a ground problem
71Longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 03:45 AM   #10
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

lol 71 I was trying to help you fix yours,and inherited your problems.

I guess I could blame it one you:p
Rusty Member #13872

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Old 10-25-2004, 07:32 PM   #11
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

w00t! I got it fixed finally

All it took was a Kenwood Cassette player
Pioneer Mosfet 200 watt amp
a pair of pioneer 6x9s
and a new roll of wire

I trashed the whole system except the Sub.Now it sounds great.
Rusty Member #13872

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website