The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2004, 10:18 PM   #1
TugOwar

Windsheild install not going so good

Trying to install new windsheild with new gasket, following instructions layed out by GMC Paul here.

I can get the gasket inside the lip at the top, around both top corners and part way down each side. The the instructions say to continue from the bottom center and work toward the lower corners, but I can't get the windsheild close enough to the cab for the gasket lip to catch on the inside.
What am I doing wrong? All help appreciated.
TugOwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 11:31 PM   #2
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

Are you using the string method? Double a string inside the gasket and pull it out from inside to pull the gasket and glass into the frame? Thats the only way I have ever seen it done and have not done it myself. Good luck though, Jeff.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 11:34 PM   #3
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

I have not done this yet... But have been reading a lot to decide if I was gonna try it. Is there any chance the windshield has slid down too far? You got it pretty warm over there with mid 80's temps. Still, the gasket is pretty flexible? You have a 2nd set of hands pulling the string while you are pushing the glass? Hope this helps. What brand gasket are you using?
Old 10-23-2004, 11:58 PM   #4
Solver

I was never able to get the gasket to go in when I started at the top. I always set the windshiled in the bottom and work up so I am not fighting the weight of the windshield.
Also had a professional come out and put in a couple for me and he started with bottom in first also.I am sure both ways probably work but I watched and he did it that way so I felt better. Just something you may want to try
  • 1972 Cheyenne Super 10 LWB-green
  • 1972 GMC 4x4 LWB-White
  • 1971 Cheyenne 10 LWB-Ochre
  • 1971 Cheyenne 20 Longhorn-Copper
  • 1971 Cheyenne 20 Longhorn-Black
  • 1969 Custom 10 LWB-lt blue
  • 1968 GMC 3/4 ton-green
  • 1968 1/2 ton swb stepside-silver
  • 1967 Chevrolet CST 10 LWB-green
  • 1967 Chevrolet custom 20 LWB-Maroon
Solver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 12:00 AM   #5
TugOwar

Yes using the string/rope method described by Paul. Got the gasket from Wes so whatever brand he sells. The best available I think.

Actually I'm on the inside pulling the rope, my son on the outside applying pressure. Once we get the top, corners and part of each side in we go ahead and slide the gasket as far up on lip as possible and slide the glass as far inside the gasket as possible. Son is leaning out over the hood trying not to cave it in while applying pressure.

It was quite warm today and humid. About the time we started the install a freak storm dumped 1/2" of rain and cooled things down somewhat but still 80+ degrees.
I'm hoping for hot sunshine tomorrow so we can let the wildsheild and gasket get good and hot and try again.
Still though I don't see why it wouldn't go in as it was.

Thanks for the replies guys, any other suggestions appreciated.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:04 AM   #6
TugOwar

Solver, the last time we tried before it got too dark we decided to try it bottom first. We got the bottom seated pretty well and up one side but when I got to the top corner it looked impossible to get the rubber to pull inside because it was so high. Thats when we called it quits for the night.
Old 10-24-2004, 01:29 AM   #7
incoma

I've always worked from the bottom first. The corners are tough, but can be managed with a bit of pressure on the outside and some finness (spelling) with a screw driver.
incoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 07:37 AM   #8
68lwb

I put one in my truck back in March in Indiana. Was maybe 60 degrees in my garage, so temperature where you are should't be an issue. My wife pushed from outside, really just applied light pressure. I put the rope in the window gasket channel with a big loop at the center bottom and then the loose ends in the center top. I sprayed armor all on the gasket to lube it. If you start at top center it should go pretty easy until you get to top corners, and you have to pull pretty hard, this is where the loop in the bottom will help. You can pull from the bottom center around the bottom up to the top corner and you will have string on both sides of the corner to help work through. Make sure you have the window centered left to right. Good Luck!
68lwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 08:05 AM   #9
HOTFUN

Solver has it right
I have put a number of these in and I always start by setting the bottom groove in the pinch weld with the ends of the rope in the center bottom. I use plenty of wd-40 around the edges so the glass can be slid inside the rubbber moulding too. At first it will look like the glass will not fit under the drip ledge but as you pull the glass in with the rope and apply pressure from the outside where you are pulling the rope it walks right in. I work back and forth with both rope ends not gettting further than a foot ahead on each side. When you start up the sides make sure you shift the glass to center it in the opening and rubber by tapping it with the palm of your hand.
'72 Cheyenne Super K20 project
'73 Sierra swb 4x4 frame off in paint stage
'74 Cheyenne Super swb w/16k actual
'71 & 72 Cheyenne K10 4x4 swb's
'70 426 HEMICUDA conv SHAKER 4 sp Dana 60
'60 Impala conv 327 PG fac ac loaded 3rd owner
'72 GMC K2500 4x4
'59 Apache CST BBW fleetside swb 283
'73 ElCamino SS LS1 T56 true SS bucket tach
'76 ElCamino SS 52k survivor
'87 Grand National 41k True 2nd to last built in 1987.
'86 K30 454 SRW fleetside CA since new
'88 Trans Am GTA 39k bought new
2018 DEMON plum crazy @ 840HP! "Need for speed"

Last edited by HOTFUN; 10-24-2004 at 08:34 AM.
HOTFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 08:14 AM   #10
HOTFUN

Another trick I use is I pull the rope end in a circular motion so it doesn't tear the rubber and this will walk the lip in. I also use a plastic glass knife when I get to the top corners to help pull the inside lip around the pinchweld. And if your glass needs a little pursuasion down or centered, hit the face of the glass from the outside with your palm(like you were falling down on it with your hands out) in a downward motion. If the gasket and glass are well lubed it will slide in the gasket. Good Luck!

Mark
'72 Cheyenne Super K20 project
'73 Sierra swb 4x4 frame off in paint stage
'74 Cheyenne Super swb w/16k actual
'71 & 72 Cheyenne K10 4x4 swb's
'70 426 HEMICUDA conv SHAKER 4 sp Dana 60
'60 Impala conv 327 PG fac ac loaded 3rd owner
'72 GMC K2500 4x4
'59 Apache CST BBW fleetside swb 283
'73 ElCamino SS LS1 T56 true SS bucket tach
'76 ElCamino SS 52k survivor
'87 Grand National 41k True 2nd to last built in 1987.
'86 K30 454 SRW fleetside CA since new
'88 Trans Am GTA 39k bought new
2018 DEMON plum crazy @ 840HP! "Need for speed"

Last edited by HOTFUN; 10-24-2004 at 08:35 AM.
HOTFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 09:01 AM   #11
purple gas

I am sooo glad I know a guy who runs a glass shop, and ows me a favor when I need to replace my rubber. I'd phone him and ask for some professional tips for you, but it's not even 7 am yet, he's a retired cop, and I'm sure he has a gun, he'd most likely shoot me...Good luck
purple gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 09:23 AM   #12
GMC AMI

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by incoma
I've always worked from the bottom first. The corners are tough, but can be managed with a bit of pressure on the outside and some finness (spelling) with a screw driver.
Be very carefull if using a screw driver any where near the edge of the windshield. One false move here will send a crack right up through the
windshield and your day will be shattered! Then you might wish you were in a coma
Old 10-24-2004, 09:30 AM   #13
TugOwar

It seems the consensus is. start by setting the bottom edge on the pinchweld, then work across the top to the corner, then across the bottom and up the sides to the top corners, do the top corners last, use lotsa lube on both the glass side and cab side of the rubber.

I'll give it another try today. I sincerely thank you all for the help and the good luck. I'll let ya know how it comes out.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:48 AM   #14
boilrman
70 Chevy 3/4t

I have put in a couple of these. We used Windex as a lubricant. We put the string in at the center of the bottom of the glass with about 10" sticking out and taped it to the glass. Take the string all the way around and then OVERLAP the two pieces of string where they meet by a foot or so and then tape it to the windshied as well. Make sure the string is in the deepest part of the gasket. Then while holding one end of the string in one hand take the other end and start pulling. As mentioned above, rotating the string in circles does help. Top corners are the worst, just keep working at it. A person on the outside applying light pressure as you move around. Good Luck
Kokomo,IN
boilrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 11:00 AM   #15
724wdcopper
graphic designer

my dad owns a body shop, and they use liquid dish soap to lube windows. when we put mine in, the dish soap and plastic glass knife did the trick. still tough, and you have to watch how hard you push on the glass, but we did get it in.
724wdcopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 04:12 PM   #16
TugOwar

WHEEEEEEEEW!!!!

Well went out this morning and put the rope back in the channel in the rubber, and WD-40'd the crap outa the gasket. Over lapping the rope for about a foot seemed to help when getting the lip of the rubber started.

We set the bottom onto the pinch weld first, eyeballed that the winsheild was centered, then started at the top center pulling. I was so sure that the rubber wouldn't stay inside the cab once we started working toward the outside. Shows ya what I know, it stayed inside just enough to hold it's self.

We worked from the top center toward each side a little at a time till both sides were a couple inchs from the corner. Then started at the bottom center and worked out to the bottom corners and up each side. Now we only had the corners left. Having the rope looped behind the corner and being able to pull both sides made the corners a cinch!

I had to put my knees up on the wiper cowl and crawl across pushing the top all the way in. A couple of places along one side didn't want to seat completely but a little pushing and pulling handled it.

The one place I'm unhappy with is the inside top edge about 3 inchs from each corner. Kinda has like 2 or 3 little "waves" in the rubber. In other words the rubber isn't laying flat. Maybe time and/or heat will flatten it out. dunno.

Anyway the glass is installed, looks good. So much nicer than my old, cracked, cloudy windsheild. Thats probably the most nerve wracking thing I've done in a while and I'm not itchin to do it again any time soon.

But I have Wes to thank for a good quality gasket, my local glass shop for a very flexable windsheild, and all you guys for great advice and a helpful attitude. I really appreciate it.

Now if you don't mind I'm gonna go admire OUR handy work!

P.S. This windsheild had a PPG sticker on it. The same PPG as the paint company. Is that significant?