The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2004, 08:42 PM   #1
moodybo

Question which conversion is better?

I have got two trucks a 72 lwb(parts) and a 68 lwb. I am fixin up the 68. I want to use the disc brake setup and five lug. I have not decided if i want to just put my cab on the 72 frame or just swap out the front end and rear on the 68 for the 72? I also have a a front cross member complete with whole steering and rear to match from a 73 van! I beleive the van's setup is the heavy duty style. I know i have enough to build two frame setups which one is going to be better? the 72 style or the 73? Whatever i have left i will restore to swb and sell!

What kind of gear would have been in that van rear? I know it was an automatic!
moodybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 11:10 PM   #2
moodybo

58 people looked and no one knows what i am talking about? I am in the right section arent i?
Old 11-11-2004, 06:41 AM   #3
ACES
Life is a gamble

I was hoping someone else would reply, but I guess not. Here is what I would do:

I would take the cab, fenders, hood, from the 68 and put it on the 72 frame.

I honestly don't know squat about the 73 van set up, except that maybe you can use a Tilt column from it, if it had that.

I doubt anyone would want to guess at what gears are in the 73 van. Its best to just take off the cover and find out for yourself.

Sorry I couldn't be more help

The torpid artist seeks inspiration at any cost, by virtue or by vice, by friend or by fiend, by prayer or by wine.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by ACES; 11-11-2004 at 06:43 AM.
ACES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 07:59 AM   #4
SCOTI

Does the van have light duty or HD suspension? Light duty would be the rubber style bushings, HD would be the rubber 'lined' steel inserts similar to 64-72's.

If it has the steel 'lined' bushings there's not much advantage to swapping. I would do whatever takes the least amount of work to accomplish (work smarter not harder). Use the disc set-up from the 72 whichever frame you utilize.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 04:11 PM   #5
kxmotox247

I think I'd use the 72 frame with the 68's sheetmetal. I'm in a similar situation...I've got a 69' frame with 72' running gear and I'm going to swap all my sheetmetal over.
Like Aces said, I don't know anything about van's other than the steering column will fit in our trucks.
kxmotox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 09:29 AM   #6
moodybo

Thanks for your opinion guys! I was wondering if anyone could understand my message! Well what i will probably do is use the 72 chassis(it has had a total rebuild of suspension parts) I will keep the 73 van parts and put them on my 68 frame when i finish the other truck. And sell it or just buy another cab and build another truck! since i am torn between bagging it or just lowering it?

Oh yeah, the 72 has leafs in the back. Should i transfer the the coil setup from the 68 or just buy a 4 link?
Old 11-14-2004, 09:58 AM   #7
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
58 people looked and no one knows what i am talking about? I am in the right section arent i?
Before you throw around comments like that...re-read your original post. You stated that both trucks were lwb! You talk about swapping rear ends, but you don't say why? and then 4 posts later tell us that one is coil and the other leaf. You ask us to speculate about gears in a 30 year old van axle, that appears to be out of the vehicle? Very confused post, that's why there weren't many responses.

So.......after all of that and now that you have provided some more info (which is what I was waiting for) Make it simple...Put the entire (rebuilt) 72 front end (crossmenber and all) in the 68 frame and drive it. I would keep the 68 for the coil set-up. There is no point is swaping the entire frame to get the 72's front suspension and then putting the 68's rear under it.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 10:14 AM   #8
moodybo

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodybo
Thanks for your opinion guys! I was wondering if anyone could understand my message! Well what i will probably do is use the 72 chassis(it has had a total rebuild of suspension parts) I will keep the 73 van parts and put them on my 68 frame when i finish the other truck. And sell it or just buy another cab and build another truck! since i am torn between bagging it or just lowering it?

Oh yeah, the 72 has leafs in the back. Should i transfer the the coil setup from the 68 or just buy a 4 link?

Didnt you read this after you read my second message? especially the part where i said "I was wondering if anyone could understand my message!"

Second i was focusing more on the front end not the rear .

the reason i asked in the first placeis i know that balljoints for th 73 are differant (maybe sturdier) and the drop spindles cost less but will bolt up!and i know i have the thicker brakes on the 73 as to the 72.

I would like to strip and paint both frames but i want to get the chassis setup i am going to use most of the time setup first!

I know it is confusing but bear with me! If i use the 73 i will just put the van setup on my 68 frame and if i use the 72 setup i will put the 68 metal on the 72 frame after i repaint it! you understand?
Old 11-15-2004, 12:55 AM   #9
67ChevyC10Stepside

use the 68 frame put the 72 suspension on it...