The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2004, 05:12 AM   #1
Bryce M

Bags what should I go for

What should I do now I am looking at getting 2B7s or 2B7 extreme I would like to be able to bounce around a bit but I know to get enough air feed the bags its going to cost me a hell of a lot I dont want a engine driven compressor I may end up with two Viair 450s and how ever much tank I can get underneath this long bed but thats it

Is the extreme a waste of money for me to pay the slight amount extra they are 80 bucks or should I go for em

I was also looking at the Slams Rs-72 s they cost just as much as the extremes but are lighter duty

Honestly guys I need some help I am just starting out with bags

And one more question How can I hook up my bags so I can fill them up with scrader valves so I can play with my chassis till I buy my compressors and valves (I am doing a dual port system can I plug one port with a bolt so I can fill them)
as for the chassis
My plans are to run the stock arms chop the front crossmember and box in my trailing arms I am staying pretty stock
Bryce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 03:31 PM   #2
BaggedC10
Under construction!

If you want to hop your truck (Why anyone does is beyond me.), I would recommend Slam Specialties air springs. They are a competition air spring, deliver plenty of lift, and a smooth, compliant ride. The 7" HS model is rated at 300psi and should meet your needs. BTW, you won't be hopping w/o the aid of nitrogen or helium.

I routed and secured my air line along the frame as I wanted it, inserted a "T" fitting where the two ends of the air line meet (Example: The air line for the front air springs.), installed another short piece of air line, and a schrader valve.
Old 11-21-2004, 04:27 PM   #3
Bryce M

I dont really want to hop but I think it would be cool to pop the front wheels off the ground or the rear I am not looking for lowrider type hopping just a system with a bit of pop
Old 11-21-2004, 08:07 PM   #4
TheFabShop

Smile

The speed depends on other things than bag type.There are a couple of other subjects on here discussing this.Just do some research and you will be pleased with what you find.
TheFabShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 08:28 PM   #5
Bryce M

Obviously there is more to it then the bags
I plan on running good 1/2 inch valves (havent decided what yet) and either 1/2 inch lines or even 5/8 two good sized tanks and 2 viair 450s

If there is a lot I am missing out on feed me some info I have done a lot of searches but you can never know enough
Old 11-21-2004, 09:26 PM   #6
TheFabShop

You should be fine with what you are talking about.1/2" line will be plenty fast just get the valves as close to the bag as possible,run a 175 psi switch,remember to run a water trap inbetween the compressor and tanks.Good luck.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:08 PM   #7
BK
BK Built

good choice

I think you should be good with the slams. Im running slam specialties rs 7 with 3/8" valves, 1/2" lines, valves on the frame right behind the wheels, and i can hop the front tires approx 2" off the ground @ 150 psi, about 3" @ 175(mind you its on a 65 chevy panel). I myself am running 2 viair 450 compressors with a 12 gallon tank, and it provides plenty of air, plenty of fun. I am also running a 175 psi pressure switch, which i like, only the extra 25 psi isnt worth a whole lot, and any pressure switch over 150 psi i believe voids viairs warranty. Just make sure you run big wire and big relays, fuse it, and have a good alternator(450's pull 23 amps a piece).
BK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 11:29 PM   #8
fastbagged68

If you are going to spend 195 a peiece for the Viair 450's I would spend the extra cash on a the Engine driven. The engine driven kit come with everything except the bracket. If you buy the 2 Viairs they draw alot of power and you will need to buy relays, pressure switch, wiring. You get all that in the engine driven and it fills ALOT faster! Run 1/2 valves and 1/2 lines and more then 9 gallons of air. And defenintly run Slam Specialties RS 72. They ride really good. Its all I install. You will be happy with this.
fastbagged68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 12:57 AM   #9
Bryce M

Where has slams for the best prices
Old 11-22-2004, 11:26 PM   #10
TheFabShop

Which ones are you interested in?
Old 11-23-2004, 01:41 AM   #11
Bryce M

I was interested Rs-72s

I am going to run a EDC I was trying to stay away from them because I thought it would be hogging off power even when I wasnt using it but since they have electric clutches Im going to run one Not sure whether I should get a sanden or a york though I have been told the sandens can crank up to 300Psi If they can then I would run 2b7 extremes and a sanden compressor then It should move FAST

Btw has anyone stuck a camaro Power Rack and pinion in Before I just picked up one Remanufactured New in box for 30 bucks Im not sure If I can fit it in though It looks MUCH tougher then a stang 2 rack Which I also could have got for 30 bucks new I may go exchange it and get the stang 2 rack though
Old 11-23-2004, 01:48 AM   #12
TheFabShop

175 to 200 will be plenty fast trust me I have trucks running that daily with conti's no problem.I use the yorks alot with not problem running that pressure.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:15 AM   #13
Bryce M

2 Ply or 4 ply bags

It seems to me like 2b7s are the best bags for the money its 4 ply 300 psi and no balooning seems good to me I have read about the Slams cracking and leaking but I havent read much about conti bags
Old 11-23-2004, 02:51 AM   #14
fastbagged68

No on Extreme 2B7. They are softer then the slams. Slams ride the best. Conitech are good but soft also. Slams have a had a few batchs that have leaked but they are good bags. The 2B7 you need to run boost plate which are a pain in the ass to make room for. Slams crack but the cracks do not cause the leaks. the leaks were caused by there "capping" of the bags. I will almost guarantee it that you will not run over 200psi or even 175. that system will be fast. Probably faster then what you think. Get the york. The sanden compressors are hit or miss on producing the psi to lift a truck. I have heard of guys spending alot on a sanden and it only being able to pump up to 40psi.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:53 AM   #15
fastbagged68

oh ya you should be able to get slams rs-72 for 89bucks. Do not go dual port unless you plan on hopping! The more air fitting the more chances for leaks.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:15 AM   #16
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbagged68
..... Do not go dual port unless you plan on hopping! The more air fitting the more chances for leaks.
fastbagged68 you have brought a lot of good info to this forum. It's good to have someone here with practical experience that isn't biased on one particular brand, and understands that every system should be designed for the owners intended application.

The statement above is exactly what I'm talking about. That shows you think that "bigger" or "more" is not always better.....
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 07:09 PM   #17
Bryce M

I understand how it works In valve goes first bleed valve second and the air just comes back though the line and out the valve much simpler then running runing a a bleed line seperately or running 8 valves to the front alone

Thanks alot for the help fastbagged and everyone else
Has anyone tryed the Extreme 1/2 inch valves and is the Line sized in ID or OD meaning is 3/8 actually half inch and 5/8s is actually half inch
Old 11-23-2004, 09:43 PM   #18
TheFabShop

1/2 is actually od.I have used the extreme valves and like them as well as gc,smc,& parker.I have ran them all with success.I would say go wth which ever ones you can get the best deal on.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:24 AM   #19
Bryce M

Extremes are the cheapest I have seen @ 35 a valve I havnt seen anything cheaper I just wanted to make sure they werent cheap quality wise
5/8 line isnt much more expensive I wouldnt want the line to be the slowest part of the system since its one of the cheapest parts
How many feet of line should I expect to use 100ft or so or what and should I run a stainless braided line off the compressor or is regular line fine
Old 11-24-2004, 01:34 AM   #20
fastbagged68

the line is not going to slow the system down. 1/2 inch fitting are easier to get then 5/8' and 5/8" line is a little harder to route. Stick with 1/2" line. Go take a peice of 1/2 line and blow thru it, take a peice of 5/8 and do the same see if you can tell a difference. What is going to slow it down is placement of valves and 90 degrees fittings. 100 feet of line is more then enough. Could get away with 50'.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:49 AM   #21
Bryce M

The 90s kill you adding one is like adding 10 feet of line when you dealing with fluid
I guess I will assume regular line is fine off the compressor
Old 11-24-2004, 11:07 PM   #22
TheFabShop

The compressors will have a braided line to run from them to the tank.I would highly recomend a water trap between the compressor and tank.I build a bracket off the frame right above the upper control arm where you have a straight shot down to the bag only about 12" of line which isn't much.
Old 11-26-2004, 01:16 PM   #23
Chris~GS

check into www.***************** not pushing them or anything, don't care about brand etc, just what works, i bought their air management system number 4 it's a good deal and comes with everything except the fittings since there are a billion ways to plumb an air system..
Chris~GS is offline   Reply With Quote