The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-17-2004, 09:04 AM   #1
Dan69 step

Hauling parts/blazer

Will be leaving central Nebraska 12/29/04 with 18' car trailer, heading to Springfield, Missouri. Returning 12/30/04. Anyone need a Blazer or parts hauled in either direction? Am looking for gas money to help out. Let me know.
63 Studebaker Avanti
85 Avanti
66 Studebaker Cruiser
49 Studebaker pickup
3-49 Studebaker 1 1/2 truck
94 White/ GMC coe (cabin hauler)
95 chev
2015 chev Duramax 2500
Dan69 step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 06:36 PM   #2
MIDSTATE 67-72

haulin

need a 71 blazer hauled from libby montana that i just bought but that may be a little out of your way
MIDSTATE 67-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 06:50 PM   #3
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDSTATE 67-72
need a 71 blazer hauled from libby montana that i just bought but that may be a little out of your way

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I'M WANTING TO START A CLASSIC TRANSPORT
BUISNESS FOR THE LITTLE PEOPLE LIKE US, I WAS CHARGED $1700.00
2 GET "GQ" HERE FROM CALI, IMO THAT IS REDICULOUS, GOOD LUCK.

*I WISH I COULD GO FOR YA, I LUV ROAD TRIPS, HOPE IT WORKS OUT
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 09:18 PM   #4
Dan69 step

Midstate, actually I would jump on a haul like that, but right now (due to time constraints) I need to stay pretty close to my route/schedule. I used to do alot of hauling, but have been busy building cabins and haven't had time to get away. Really enjoyed the windshield time with either the step side or the 2wd Blaze.
LUV2XCLR8, as I said , I hauled all over, and it is really tough to compete pricewise with the big companies. But when it comes to service, yes I can compete. Now with fuel as it is, it really adds to the cost of shipping. Not to mention DOT, insurance, etc. I did have alot of fun and enjoyment seeing the country and visiting with alot of different people.
63 Studebaker Avanti
85 Avanti
66 Studebaker Cruiser
49 Studebaker pickup
95 chev
2015 chev Duramax 2500
Old 12-17-2004, 09:28 PM   #5
crews
It just doesn't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV2XCLR8
THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I'M WANTING TO START A CLASSIC TRANSPORT
BUISNESS FOR THE LITTLE PEOPLE LIKE US, I WAS CHARGED $1700.00
2 GET "GQ" HERE FROM CALI, IMO THAT IS REDICULOUS, GOOD LUCK.

*I WISH I COULD GO FOR YA, I LUV ROAD TRIPS, HOPE IT WORKS OUT

Been there- done that....Not a profitable venture. One would think there are enough people across the country that need the service that it would be very easy to make money...but it's not.

The insurance you are required to carry, the DOT issues and the BS at every point of entry in every state make it a total hassle. When I was doing this, I was LUCKY to get .50 a loaded mile and fuel was much more economical then.....

Unfortunately the rules and Federal Goverment BS have made transporting a very cut-throat business.

If you don't like me- TAKE A NUMBER; There are people ahead of you!!
crews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 10:43 PM   #6
Blue Beard

How about a relay team to move across the country.

You could get members to help city to city...
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 11:57 PM   #7
bad_turbo
turbo enthusiast

thought about starting my own car hauling business too. I do that for a living now in socal, but I work for somebody else and drive their truck. Seems like the only way you could make money at it would be to do it locally(within 1000 miles) and you would need to be hauling both ways.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:18 AM   #8
Dan69 step

Actually we did do a relay system a few times on the board here. I helped get a pickup from Washington to Georgia I believe, then a truck from PA back for WES on the board. I got to meet Mudder 67. If you're going anyway and want to cut fuel costs , then the relay system can work fine.
I had always hauled for enjoyment and to make a couple extra bucks, not full time for a living. Since I was hauling maybe once a month, my insurance agent(State Farm) discouraged me from taking out a policy due to the high premium. Said it was too expensive for the amount of hauling I was doing. An insurance company WILL specifically cover a vehicle in transport , the owner just has to state the destination and terms. I hauled some pretty high dollar vehicles(street rods, vettes, antiques, etc) that were insured that way. So it can be done.
DOT can be a whole other subject. I was never stopped by DOT, but I never stopped at port of entries anyway. Never had to pull through a scale either. Technically though, if you're getting paid to transport, you are a commercial hauler and need a DOT #, log book, physical card,etc. Alot of regulations, just like a trucker.
Then the price of fuel has come into play. I used to charge between .50-.95 cents/mile depending on the vehicle, destination, etc., but gas was only $1.00/gal too. Now I'm not sure what you'd have to have to at least cover your expenses , not trying to make a living,too.Take into consideration the wear on the tow vehicle and trailer. Don't want to downplay anyone's hopes or desires, just letting you know some of the realities that go with it. If you get the right haul and are able to double up , maybe not too long a distance,etc, it can really pay out well. I put about 120,000 miles on between the stepside and blaze. Overall really enjoyed it.

Sorry for rambling a bit guys.
63 Studebaker Avanti
85 Avanti
66 Studebaker Cruiser
49 Studebaker pickup
95 chev
2015 chev Duramax 2500
Old 12-18-2004, 09:27 AM   #9
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Wink

Alot Of Valid Points Listed Above, However I Was Thinking Of Doing
This As Supplement Income, I Would Retire From My Job And Just Do
This For Fun, I Know It Is Hard To Compete With The Big Guys, But I
Paid The Amount Stated Above And There Was 5 Other Vehicles Also
In The Same Truck, So That Was Close 2 10k For A One Way Trip, Imo
That Is Ridiculous And Gouging The Lil People, That's All I'm Saying.
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 01:00 PM   #10
bad_turbo
turbo enthusiast

for all your car hauling needs:

http://www.haulingdepot.com/

This website will email you several different quotes from different companies for hauling your vehicle.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:39 PM   #11
crews
It just doesn't matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan69 step
Actually we did do a relay system a few times on the board here. I helped get a pickup from Washington to Georgia I believe, then a truck from PA back for WES on the board. I got to meet Mudder 67. If you're going anyway and want to cut fuel costs , then the relay system can work fine.
I had always hauled for enjoyment and to make a couple extra bucks, not full time for a living. Since I was hauling maybe once a month, my insurance agent(State Farm) discouraged me from taking out a policy due to the high premium. Said it was too expensive for the amount of hauling I was doing. An insurance company WILL specifically cover a vehicle in transport , the owner just has to state the destination and terms. I hauled some pretty high dollar vehicles(street rods, vettes, antiques, etc) that were insured that way. So it can be done.
DOT can be a whole other subject. I was never stopped by DOT, but I never stopped at port of entries anyway. Never had to pull through a scale either. Technically though, if you're getting paid to transport, you are a commercial hauler and need a DOT #, log book, physical card,etc. Alot of regulations, just like a trucker.
Then the price of fuel has come into play. I used to charge between .50-.95 cents/mile depending on the vehicle, destination, etc., but gas was only $1.00/gal too. Now I'm not sure what you'd have to have to at least cover your expenses , not trying to make a living,too.Take into consideration the wear on the tow vehicle and trailer. Don't want to downplay anyone's hopes or desires, just letting you know some of the realities that go with it. If you get the right haul and are able to double up , maybe not too long a distance,etc, it can really pay out well. I put about 120,000 miles on between the stepside and blaze. Overall really enjoyed it.

Sorry for rambling a bit guys.

Dan- I was the one who picked up the truck from Mudder and delivered it the rest of the way to Atlanta. Gentlemans name was Mickey, don't remember his board name though...

The reality of what it costs to run a cross country hauling business is discouraging. When I ran full time, my insurance was 8K a year. That was only the minimum required by the DOT. (1 million in liability) I had a F450 and an aluminum 3 car wedge. I had no problem finding one vehicle going in the direction I wanted...it was filling out the last two spots that took some effort.
I utilized an antique tractor board to try to bid and fill out the truck ( Mickey referred me to this) As I ran the west coast a lot, I had more trouble finding vehicles going west that going east. It was hard to make any money with the truck empty on one leg of the trip. Last, but not least, the fees incurred at every port of entry took whatever money left.

I made a fatal error on at least two aspects: I tried to utilize a smaller tractor to save on fuel..it didn't work. My truck got horrible mileage.
I licensed my truck in my home state, which meant that every state I traveled through wanted a travel permit purchased.

Just my thoughts on this..
Don't get me wrong...I miss it every day. I loved travelling and I loved meeting different people all over the country. I have met a lot of different board members. Great people.
Like Dan stated..when it comes to customer service, you can't beat a small carrier. It is just going to cost you more.

If you don't like me- TAKE A NUMBER; There are people ahead of you!!
crews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 10:40 AM   #12
Dan69 step

Crews, you're right, you've got to have more than one going in the same direction to really make it pay. Yes and it seems there is more stuff going east than west. I utilized the tractor board,too. The only way I made it work ,since I did it as a sideline, was that I was never fully DOT compliant. (No DOT people on here are there?) Like alot of things, you either have to get great big , leaving no room for the little guy.
63 Studebaker Avanti
85 Avanti
66 Studebaker Cruiser
49 Studebaker pickup
95 chev
2015 chev Duramax 2500