The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Member Dealings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 02:01 AM   #1
Cruising Brent

Hot Rod Cartoons

i just wanted to tell you about a service I recieved from a board member. I was thinking about buiding a Rat Rod and wanted an idea of what it would look like. I contacted Rob the ToonMan from the board, he is also a friend of mine, and he hooked me up!!!! He drew the 26 Ford coupe just as I wanted it! It is so cool! I highly reccomend him if any of you are needing some Hot Rod Art!

Cruising Brent
Old 01-14-2005, 03:32 AM   #2
ToonMan

Thanks Brent!!!! You should've posted a pic pf the drawing!!! I will do it for you!!! I will dig out the drawing I did of your 55 stepside too!!
Thanks for the kind words!!!
Rob the ToonMan
Attached Images

56 Chevy Cameo----Custom, [Turquoise]
67 Chevy C10 Short Fleetside (Black & White)
63 Trailorboat-------Teardrop Style Trailer
69 Honda CM90
Old 01-14-2005, 03:48 AM   #3
67chev

Toon...that looks awesome!! I posted a request a while back to get a drawing done of my '68 shortbed. The last I heard, the guy was still working on it, but it is a little different than yours. Just curious if you would be willing to take a stab at drawing my truck. What all would you need to make it happen? You can email me at timandmariela@cablemt.net to give me specifics, if you would like. I would sure like to see my truck drawn out. Thanks in advance!! Tim
Old 01-14-2005, 08:55 AM   #4
Blue Beard

If you look close at the date on the drawing, it was Christmas Eve.
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Old 01-15-2005, 02:33 AM   #5
Warbones
Navel Inspector

Yeah shoot me pm too on pricing. Thanks

1967 CST C10 Long Bed with a 283
Old 01-16-2005, 08:34 AM   #6
ToonMan

Yes, My art has no Holidays!!!!

'68 Shortbed....No Problem!!!!!!

Here is my multi Year Chevy Truck collage.

Enjoy!!!
Attached Images

69 Honda CM90
Old 01-16-2005, 08:42 AM   #7
ToonMan

Brent, Since you have talked up my art, I will mention your writing abilities.
This Article is from 'Cruising the Avenue' Magazine, March 2004 issue.
Enjoy!!

Get Your Ride 'Tooned' up with Automotive Artist Rob Butler
By Brent Simpson

One of the coolest things to go along with the Hot Rod world has always been Automotive Art. Especially the radical cartoons of Ed 'Big Daddy' Roth, or CAR Toons Magazine. One modern version of these two legends is Oregon Automotive Cartoonist Rob Butler. Rob has been drawing cartoons since he was in the fifth grade. He started out drawing Semi Trucks, Big Rigs of all configurations. It was obvious, even then, that Rob tended to exaggerate the drawing, stretch it, squish it, or shorten it. It still looked like what it was supposed to, but definitely a caricature of the truck.

Before long, the old car bug hit Rob, and his art went along for the ride. Rob's parents had many classics and he would draw them. Once Rob bought his '56 Chevy Cameo the ball started rolling! Rob would draw the Cameo many different ways and then color them to help decide what color to paint the pickup. Rob went on to design a logo for his truck club's jackets, and also illustrate their monthly newsletter.

In 1994 Rob was approached with his first 'Professional' job. Rob's boss hooked him up with a guy, Bill, who was building a super trick '67 Nova for the Portland Roadster Show. He gave Rob 300 pictures of the car in various stages of build up and asked for 5 cartoons showing the work. Rob did the drawings, and Bill used them as his display at the show, where the Nova won Best in Show.

In 1996 Rob knew it was time to get more serious about his art, and he wanted a name to draw under. Since he'd been called Bigfoot since he was 11 (and he had size 14 feet) he thought he would follow that theme. After considering the possibilities, Sasquatch Artworks was born. Along with the new name, He wanted a company logo. So he drew a walking Bigfoot and placed it on his business cards, and later had it tattooed on his leg. Unbeknownst to him, this would open up a whole new line of customers! Bigfoot researchers saw his card art and asked if he could do more. Rob complied, drawing many Bigfoot cartoons, including a new character 'Squatch'. Rob ended up illustrating Bigfoot newsletters from all over the US, and several books on the subject, as well as designing T Shirt logo's for events. He also did an interview on local radio station KEX, and made an appearance in the TLC documentary 'Sasquatch Odyssey'. Another feather in his cap was when his art was shown on the Travel Channel, and Discovery. He even ended up doing numerous window paintings for Oregon based comic book publisher Dark Horse Comics.

For as much as Rob loves drawing Bigfoot, his artistic heart lies with the Hot Rods. In the fall of 1999 Rob started drawing Classic Rides again. He drew friends cars, just for fun, but after 2 months had a 2 page spread in a national magazine, and soon others followed. The national exposure helped Rob immensely. He made friends with ChevyTrucks.org owner Wayne Osborne, who built the Sasquatch Artworks website. (www.chevytrucks.org/Squatch-Art) The site has brought Rob a great deal of work from all over the U.S. and Canada. Rob also made friends with New York Hot Rod legend Ed 'Croozer' Fitzgerald, who gave Rob the nickname that has stuck to this day. Rob, The ToonMan. A name which surely seems to fit!

One unique service Rob provides is to do a drawing of an unfinished vehicle, totally based on a description of what the owner wants it to look like when completed. In most cases, the drawing ends up hanging on the shop wall as an inspiration while the car is being built. A very neat thing for those building radical customs!

Today, the bulk of Rob's work consists of drawing people's rides for them, converting those drawing into professional style T shirt transfers, doing limited edition prints, event flyers, greeting cards, and working on two sets of new cartoon characters-Hot Rodders 'Chuck & Arbee', and Rob's very own crew from the Star Trek universe.

If you are interested in having Rob do a cartoon of your favorite ride, contact him through his website.

www.chevytrucks.org/squatch-art

69 Honda CM90
Old 01-18-2005, 12:05 AM   #8
Cruising Brent

Hey ToonMan,
Thanks for the Plug on my writing! I appreciate it!! Thanks also for posting my Rat Rod!
Later,
Brent
Old 01-19-2005, 05:11 PM   #9
ToonMan

No Problem!!

69 Honda CM90
Old 01-30-2005, 03:30 AM   #10
Cruising Brent

ToonMan
Did you ever find the drawing of my 55 Stepside?
Brent
Old 01-31-2005, 10:00 AM   #11
Zumo
Hot Rods For Life

Awesome work Toonman!
Los Muertos Custom Bicycles
Old 01-31-2005, 01:03 PM   #12
784X4GUY
Did someone say MUD?

Very nice art work man, if I ever need anything like that Ill be in touch...Later Mike

Mini trucks are for guys who cant get it up!
Old 03-16-2005, 03:29 AM   #13
ToonMan

I will be here if anyone needs anything done!!!

69 Honda CM90
Old 08-05-2005, 02:09 AM   #14
ToonMan

Brent,
I just did an awesome shirt design for a local Cruise!!! Farmingto Marketplace!!!! 4 different Hot Rods on the shirt!!! It looks pretty cool!!!!!!
I am also making an appearance at a show in Tualatin on Aug 14. You should see the new sign I am making for my booth!!!!!! It is way too Cool!!!! I love it when I get a special request to make an apperance!!!!! Inflates the head a little!!!!!!
Maybe i'll see you there!!!!!
Rob

69 Honda CM90
Old 10-04-2005, 05:01 PM   #15
ToonMan

Brent,
Did they like the shirt I designed for the show you were doing??
Let me Know!!!

69 Honda CM90
Closed Thread