The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2005, 05:07 PM   #1
jetfixr

Weird compression fittings

I got these compression fittings with a transmission cooling line kit. The ferrules are suppose to be compressed on to rigid stainless line. I have been to the hydraulic shops and automotive shops around here and no one seems to be familiar with them. I know I have seen them in aircraft applications, but have never actually ever had to use one, our lines come pre-made with fittings pressed on. Any way the the ferrules are different then the standard brass ones I am used to (Cant be put on backwards). Which way does the ferrule go on to the stainless? Don't want to put it on backwards cause I can't find any spare ferrules for these things
Attached Images

Last edited by jetfixr; 03-26-2005 at 05:09 PM.
jetfixr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 06:32 PM   #2
GSFMECH
On the road

We use similar fittings in the oilfield. The ones we use would assemble just as you have it layed out in the photo. It will take quite a bit of torque to initially compress the ferule.Take it apart after you torque it to be sure it compressed. We use mostly stainless fittings and use a thread lubricant on them to torque them which is not a bad idea.

Castro- 72 SWB. Ochre and White. 496/400 turbo, GV OD ,Dakota Digital dash , tilt, Vintage Air, PS, hydro boost, factory buckets, console, QA-1 Coil over suspension, 20/20"Billet Specialties Magnetos

72 SWB. Med blue. 454/400 turbo, tach, tilt, Stock AC, PS,PDB, factory buckets, console, ECE 4/6 drop w/ 2" blocks and C-notch, 20/20"Coys- Crashed and destroyed by drunk driver Sept 2019. New 72 build in the works.

My new build thread "Castro"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=820934

My old build thread, the blue truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=271489

www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
GSFMECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 06:39 PM   #3
JBstor

i have seen very similar ones. We used to use them to repair trans cooler lines. Those ones had a brass ferrule though.

From what it looks like to me, it would be the same as those.

Put the nut on the line first, then the ferrule, and push and hlod the line in the fitting while tightening the nut. That should do it! See my cool crayon work!

HTH
JB
Attached Images

JBstor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 06:57 PM   #4
jetfixr

Thanks for the help guys!
jetfixr is offline   Reply With Quote