The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2005, 10:08 PM   #1
1972ChevyCheyenne

Steering Column Help: NO NOT A TILT CONVERSION

Heres the scoop. I have a factory not tilt column for a three speed auto. On the In park the Gear indicator needle is way over at the screw hole on the left side of the P R N D 2 1 glass. I have the column at the top apart to lube it cause it was stiff after sand blasting. Anyway I need to know how to fix this so the gear indication is right. To me it seems the the thing on the bottom of the column has rotated, because the shift linkage is barley long enough. Also i am assume the part position is with the little bump on the cam the moves the shift linkage is above the plate with the bumps in it. If anyone can make sense of what i said and help me fix my problem, or even a picture of how the bottom of the colomn look in park. Thanks

Jamie
1972ChevyCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 10:59 PM   #2
kelsfine69
18 Till I Die

Heres what I did, took out the whole linkage assembly and installed the Locar trans linkage. Works very well but the L1 and L2 dont really line up. Im happy with it, no more sloppy linkage.
Big Block Chevy w/th400 ,non-tilt column

Last edited by kelsfine69; 01-14-2006 at 05:05 PM.
kelsfine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:09 AM   #3
pjmoreland

You adjust the position of the pointer by moving where the arm that sticks out of the bottom of the column attaches to the shifting rod that goes down to the transmission. When in park, the bump on the arm should not be above the plate. The bump on the arm engages with a bump that is on the plate. Here's how I adjust it:

1) Loosen the 9/16" nut on the column shifter arm enough that the shifter rod will slide inside the clamp.

2) Get inside your truck and move the shifter until the indicator points at "P"

3) Get back out and pull up on the shifter rod so that it slides through the clamp as far as it will go. Be sure not to change the position of the arm.

4) Tighten the 9/16" nut.

This method will get you close, but probably not perfect. You'll know if it is adjusted correctly if you can shift between "D" and "N" without pulling back on the shifter lever. You can re-loosen the 9/16" nut and make extremely small adjustments one way or the other until you achieve correct operation. If your linkage down at the transmission is extremely worn, it might be difficult to get it to be able to shift between "D" and "N" without pulling back on the shifter lever.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote