The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2005, 08:03 PM   #1
halffast blazer

finding title holder?

i recently picked up an '82 blazer frame and body without a title. it had changed hands too many times to find out who's name it was in. i filed for a bonded title, but the state wants me to put up almost $4000.00 for the title. is there any way to find out the last registered owner? any info will be helpful. the state was no help citing privacy laws.

Last edited by halffast blazer; 06-24-2005 at 08:04 PM.
halffast blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 09:25 PM   #2
scootybooty

go to the dept of motor veh. give them the vin# and have them do a background search. if that doesnt work file for a mechanics lean and if they cant find last owner within 60-90 days they will isue you a new title
scootybooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 01:26 PM   #3
84 PUMPKIN

Broadwaytitle.com can fix you up for around $150.00
84 PUMPKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:39 PM   #4
Scotts91Blazer

I live in Pennsylvania, not sure if this would work in your home state. A friend of mine had picked up a 65 mustang with no title 2 years ago, the notary service registered the car in Nevada in his name using a PO Box#, then took the registration a few weeks later and filed for a title in Pa using the Nevada registration as proof of ownership. Seemed a little scary to me, how easy it was to title car in his name, but he said they did it for around $200, I remember him saying they did a search to make sure the car hadn't been reprted stolen, and there may have been some liability if it turned up stolen. Might be the same way Broadway title works. Worth checking out and getting more info.
Scotts91Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 10:00 PM   #5
halffast blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotts91Blazer
I live in Pennsylvania, not sure if this would work in your home state. A friend of mine had picked up a 65 mustang with no title 2 years ago, the notary service registered the car in Nevada in his name using a PO Box#, then took the registration a few weeks later and filed for a title in Pa using the Nevada registration as proof of ownership. Seemed a little scary to me, how easy it was to title car in his name, but he said they did it for around $200, I remember him saying they did a search to make sure the car hadn't been reprted stolen, and there may have been some liability if it turned up stolen. Might be the same way Broadway title works. Worth checking out and getting more info.
was this a private company or was it a state office? broadway title can't work in my state(AR).
Old 07-07-2005, 01:22 PM   #6
loblazer

Be careful. Boyd Coddington and some title guy in Alabama just got nailed by State of California for this stuff. make sure your dealing with alegal guy.
I read it on internet. Search Boyd Coddington and read it. Interesting
loblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 01:08 AM   #7
Cmoe

You may want to check with the state again and find out it they want $4 or a bond for $4K? Two completely different things.... In AZ we use to be able to do a bond for the about they want and that was cool... about $300 dollars back in the olden days...
Cmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 07:37 PM   #8
halffast blazer

nope, they said $3600.00, still looking for the holder. i've gotten a little closer but no luck yet.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:35 PM   #9
90\87Formula

Question: Why can it be difficult to change a vehicle title to my name?
Answer: The title law protects ownership rights for more than 15 million vehicles in Texas. Therefore, the statutes require transfer of ownership by proper execution of certain ownership documents. When these specific documents are incomplete or unavailable, Texas statutes provide for the applicant to apply for a tax collector’s hearing or bonded title in most situations

Contact your local tax collector and find out what the "collector's hearing" is.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:06 AM   #10
coolram

Here in SC they use to require a notarized title and bill of sale when you bought or sold a vehicle.Now you and the present owner sign the title and then you go to the Hwy Dept to have it transferred into your name.It does save time for honest sales but to me can make it easier if the sale isn't so "honest".
I agree with Scootybooty in that your Hwy Dept should be able to do a VIN search.Also have you tried going to Carfax and running a report to make sure the vehicle wasn't totaled or written off as salvage.
'70 Monte Carlo SS454 454/TH400

Last edited by coolram; 10-10-2005 at 06:07 AM.
coolram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 10:37 PM   #11
halffast blazer

Re: finding title holder?

well, i finally found the owner. i called him and talked about him filing for a lost title. i told him that i would pay any fees and throw him a few $$ extra. he said he didn't know if he could help or not? like he didn't have time to waste on it. i was honestly stunned. i'm calling again this week, so does anyone have an opinion on how to NICELY coerce him into helping me out? i don't really want to piss anyone off. but jeez
Old 11-01-2005, 01:51 AM   #12
badone07
Project 2 Resume

Quote:
Originally Posted by halffast blazer
well, i finally found the owner. i called him and talked about him filing for a lost title. i told him that i would pay any fees and throw him a few $$ extra. he said he didn't know if he could help or not? like he didn't have time to waste on it. i was honestly stunned. i'm calling again this week, so does anyone have an opinion on how to NICELY coerce him into helping me out? i don't really want to piss anyone off. but jeez
When I was a PI I had bought a Bronco that was in parts, no title. I reported the vin on one of my cases as being parked on the person's property I was investigating. I was a subcontractor so they had access to NY's DMV. After I got the last registered and titled person's name I went an knocked on the door. I also brought pictures of how the truck WAS, not it's present state. The guy was so happy to see someone rebuilding the truck, he applied for the duplicate title. I brought all the necessary paperwork with me. He filled it out, signed it and I mailed it in with the fees. I left him my phone number and he called as soon as title arrived. Then signed it over to me. I did drive it by later so he could see it and get one last ride in it.

Since you now know who the person is, I would stop by his house at a reasonable time and talk face to face with him. Most likely you will get a better response and cooperation, than on the phone. Just bring the necessary paperwork. I would let him know that the vehicle is already done though. Too many jerk offs out there that might get the title and then come looking for you with the authorities, if you know what I mean. Especially if the value is there. Good luck.

1984 C30 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
1998 Jeep Cherokee 4x4
2004 Chevy Trailblazer 4x4 (wife's)
1970 Mustang FB fully tubed (getting 521 BBF & powerglide)
1978 Nova 2dr (going BBCaddy & S.P. th400)
1984 Monte SS (circle track car)

Last edited by badone07; 11-01-2005 at 01:53 AM.
badone07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:30 PM   #13
kevinr1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by badone07
I also brought pictures of how the truck WAS, not it's present state.

I would let him know that the vehicle is already done though.
Did you mean you WOULDN"T let him know it was done?

I have a parts Blazer I got from a guy. The story was that a repair shop had it and the guy couldn't pay his bill but wouldn't give them the title. They didn't want to deal with it so they took the engine and then gave it to the guy I got it from.
He and his friends took some parts then told me if I wanted anything off it I needed to take it all. When I got it it was minus engine, interior, bumpers, driveshafts, etc.

I was going through it one day and found an insurance card with an address so I went and knocked on the door.
After about 3 times doing this I finally talked to the guy and he said that his ex-wife had "stolen" it from him. He was pissed for a minute but calmed down. I told him what shape it was in and told him I needed a title or a release to get rid of it.
He agreed to do that and would call me later. I've talked to him about four times now and he keeps saying he's going to give me the title but for some reason or another he can't do it right then.
Last time I talked to him I told him I was going to leave it on the street to be towed away and it would cost him some money for impound fees, parking tickets etc. He said he didn't want that and would get me the title. Still haven't heard back from him so I think thats what I'll end up doing.
1991 GMC CrewCab Dually 4x4, just going to fix things up for now
1982/1989 K5/GMC Jimmy 2wd
1987 GMC 1/2 ton swb 2wd Crew (sold)
kevinr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 04:05 PM   #14
badone07
Project 2 Resume

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinr1970
Did you mean you WOULDN"T let him know it was done?
Correct. That was a typo.

1984 C30 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
1998 Jeep Cherokee 4x4
2004 Chevy Trailblazer 4x4 (wife's)
1970 Mustang FB fully tubed (getting 521 BBF & powerglide)
1978 Nova 2dr (going BBCaddy & S.P. th400)
1984 Monte SS (circle track car)
badone07 is offline   Reply With Quote