The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2005, 03:21 AM   #1
Swede

Too Much?

Here is a 72' I'm looking at purchasing and I'm wondering if $14k is too much to pay for this beauty? It has a brand new 350 in it and seems to be pretty much stock with the exception of the front seats. Has AC (not original) and has undergone a frame-off restoration. (Another question: what's the best way to upgrade to 3-point belts to replace the lap belts? Wouldn't feel comfortable having the family ride with the original restraints) Thanks for any info you can provide!

Swede
Attached Images

Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 04:49 AM   #2
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

Well, for around here, no thats not too bad a price. Is the interior as cherry as the outside? How in depth was the resto? Have you been under it and scoped out the area's he didn't do? I think I'd have to drop the price a couple G's for tires and wheels, but from what I see, it looks like a decent price. Can't help you on the seat belts, but post some underside and engine compartment shots if you can. Jeff.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 06:27 AM   #3
Swede

Here are all the pics I have of it... Haven't actually seen the truck in person, as I am over in Germany right now (and will be back in the States in a couple of months), but I have a buddy going to check it out for me. According to the owner (owns 3 body shops), the resoration is "perfect" and the interior is as good as the exterior... We'll see what my friend says after he takes a look at it, but the pics seem to show a pretty flawless ride... I'll make sure he checks the underside out... don't want any surprises.
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2005, 06:29 AM   #4
Swede

One more of the engine compartment...
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2005, 07:34 AM   #5
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede
pics seem to show a pretty flawless ride.
They always do. Glad your having someone look at it for ya.

Does your buddy know blazers/cars pretty good?

Things to check out/look over:
Torsion boxes, there's more there than just rockers
Windshield frame (very important)
Radiator support (under battery area)
Firewall - inspect carefully
Lower inner kick panels
Rear of floor in bed and around wheel housings

Being it's had a resto most of these ares will have been attended to.
Good luck
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 08:48 AM   #6
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

Like Vtblazer said, just tell your buddy to be really thorough looking it over. There are all sorts of places for rust and rot to hide in these trucks. The engine compartment looks ok, looks like it has been driven. The tachometer is not original, its out of a Camaro. It does not look like it has a tilt column either. All these things will bring the price down, which is good for you. Then again, if you like it, its your money. Like we said, just be careful, especially not being able to look at it in person. Hope you get back home soon, I just came back from the Gulf myself. Jeff.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 08:55 AM   #7
jakeslim
Premium Level Member

I think 14k is too much. Part of the fun of owning these is to put a little of your own work in. You can get something in almost as good as shape for 8k-10k. It won't be a frame off resto, but in looking at this one, looks like its not a true restoration since interior is not original(seats cover) and exterior is missing emblems, and engine is obviously not stock looking.

77 K5 - 383, auto, 6" lift, D60 front, 14b rear, 39" tsl's,
jakeslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 04:10 PM   #8
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Ride, need more pic's than that to convince me to go $14K, jmho,
can you get a pic of the glove box door (option sheet) and underneath it?
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T

Last edited by LUV2XCLR8; 08-01-2005 at 04:10 PM.
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 04:11 PM   #9
Pop's72
It's ok to stare...

It all depends on what kind of look you are going for...

If you want a stock or custom looking truck try to figure out how much more you are going to need (time and money) to get it to where you want.

If the Blazer checks out as advertised and is close to the look you want then it may be worth going for...
Pop's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 06:00 PM   #10
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Looks like a very nice rig. I'd say it is definatly worth $10k range, possibly more, but it is hard to tell from the photos.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 12:26 AM   #11
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Looks like a very nice ride but with a new motor that carb looks like it could use a rebuild or least a clean up...

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 02:37 AM   #12
Swede

All,

Thanks for the advice! I'll send this info along to my buddy (as he doesn't know anything about late model Blazers; loves his CJ's) and hopefully, we'll be able to drive the price down with his inspection. Thanks again! (Also, still haven't heard from anyone about putting 3-point belts in... ideas?)

Swede
Old 08-02-2005, 07:16 AM   #13
Huck

Blazers were originally designed to accept 3 point seat belts. the tops---both the double wall and single wall design---have mounting holes in them for the shoulder belt mounting but the option is so rare that you will never find originals. You can very easily retro fit later model 3 point seat belts to original blazers. I will basically be a un-bolt and rebolt. Just need to find some in a junk yard of the right length. Another more critical upgrade would be a good roll bar as the tops on these are not designed to withstand a rollover. Not suggesting that you plan offroad but a side impact hit could creat that situation and with 3 point seat belts, you are kind of tied down. When you remove the top, you could have a mounting position for the front bucket seat shoulder belt on the roll bar there by protecting the front folks. For the rear, you would need either a rear roll bar or ejection seats ^^^.
$14K is big money for a Blazer that is not a totally show truck or a totally frame off show quality original. A body shop owner could hide a lot on an old blazer so be careful. A new GM 350 can be bought for around $1,400. so don't be too impressed with that. The body is the key on Blazers. Where did it spend it's life?? If the owner says no rust--does he mean that any rust was cut out and removed--replaced?? How? With new metal?? They don't make exact replacement for many metal parts of Blazers--firewall, windshield frame, rear quarters, floor--all this is unique and not remanufactured. Even repop metal is Tiwan stuff and not up to original in strength, thickness, fitting~~~all things to consider. Good luck and welcome back home~~. Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 07:26 AM   #14
Huck

Another thought

If the owner is saying this is a perfect restoration---the drivers side door has a 71 or older door panel on it. The door may not be a 72 as they are unique.
72 doors have a screw hole dimple right below the vent window for strength. They also have a plastic contoured door panel with different mounting then 69-72. They also use different window crank and door opening hardware then 69-71. Now really a big deal buttt---did the owner tell you what he did to the Blazer----details??
Another thought--if you are moving to Colorado Springs--that area has lots of 69-72 Blazers around. You shouldn't have a hard time finding an original there in decent shape for around $5-6,000. They are advertised on e-bay all the time. My first choice would be to find a really strong original example with some nice options and do a frame on restoration. The end result is usually better as I then know what I am deal with. Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 08:11 AM   #15
Swede

Huck,

Thanks alot for the great info! I will certainly be bringing this up to him when we talk next. I don't know what all went into the refurbishing process, and I'm not sure he does either, as he bought it off one of his employees recently and that employee did all the work. I guess the best thing to do is get in touch with the person who did the restoration and see what he has to say. So, given that this is not original, what would be a good price to start at?

Thanks,
Swede
Old 08-02-2005, 08:19 AM   #16
jakeslim
Premium Level Member

8k would be a starting point.

77 K5 - 383, auto, 6" lift, D60 front, 14b rear, 39" tsl's,
jakeslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 09:18 AM   #17
HatGuy

Have your buddie take a magnet with
him to check for thick Bondo areas.

Welcome home in advance
And thank you or your
service to our country.

I was at Ft Carson 01/1967 till 10/1968
Is that were you are headed?

http://www.pbhats.com/BLAZER/index.html
HatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 10:57 AM   #18
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

check it out, dont just blow it off

If the work on the paint is good, it may not be totally out of line. Ive got considerably more in the paint alone on mine. To do it right will cost alot... If someone else has already done it, it will SAVE you bucks.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 11:57 AM   #19
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

I found a better rig for you and it is less expensive, all original and only 30K miles. The picture in the listing sucks though. Worth looking into. You could ship the truck to Colorado and still come out with less into it than the black one.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/car/87975109.html
FS FAMILY treasure: 1972 GMC Jimmy 30k orig miles - $10000
Reply to: anon-87975109@craigslist.org
Date: 2005-07-30, 6:07PM PDT

This is an all original Jimmy down to the factory chaulk marks from the factory line - stored in Grandpa's barn since it was driven off the of the showroom floor and only taken out to take Grandma to the store when it snowed.

Financial needs require the sell of this family treasure.

The top has never been removed, all parts of original and it has 33,000 original miles. Grandpa ordered the options are from the dealer only, no aftermarket accesories have ever been installed. The truck is the original paint with the yellow body, some wood trim and white top. The body is straight and with some polishing, she could be ready to win you a number of car shows this summer.

My sons and I have really loved having her and the attention we get when out about town - everyone always has to stop and and ask to take a peak at "Jimmy" where we go.

I don't have a recent photo, but it is very close to this, only not as bright of yellow color.

Please call too see Jimmy as he has to be sold ASAP to help the family.
253-921-6096 or 253-891-0948
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L

Last edited by bouncytruck; 08-02-2005 at 11:58 AM.
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote