The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2002, 05:25 PM   #1
JHickson6
I Love This Stuff!

Exclamation Need Help in Surrey, BC! Please!!

I Need Help Please and it's not beacuse I am addicted to my truck!! I have written about this before and I still need help. I bought my truck in Abbottsford, BC and I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Why on earth would I buy some thing so far away, well it was a damn good deal and I had spent a long time trying to find this exact style of truck. It's a 67 C10 Fleetside with the small back window. Luckily my uncle lives in Abbottsford an agreed to take a look at the truck for me as well as negotiate the deal. The truck was driven to a storage compound to be stored until I could find a way to get it back to Winnipeg. I found Sea-Rail Canada to be $300 - $500 cheaper than most companies and the truck was towed to their compound in Surrey BC. to be shipped by rail to Winnipeg. When they tried to get the truck on to the train car it wouldn't start. My Uncle took a day off work and went down there to get it running, He knew that it just needed a couple of shots of gas in the carb and it fired right up. Now the problem was that it would not come out of gear and go into neutral. My uncle fiddled around with it and its linkages, even hit them with a hammer, but they would not budge, "They're rock solid!", he said. Sea-Rail would normally tow non-running vehicles on to the train but the box of the truck is loaded full, I mean full of parts, engines, and trannies and everything else. The only way to get my truck on the train is to get it in running condition. All it needs is for the column shifter linkages to be freed up. This is why I am looking for someone to give me and my uncle a good hand in getting this truck to shift. Please I need someone who is willing to help out a fellow trucker, otherwise i'll have to fly out there and do it myself, and my good deal will be no longer!

Thank You for your help guys!

JHickson6

My Rides
1967 C10 In Pieces for now
1985 Ford B700 SourPuss Bus - BIG BLUE
2003 Silverado CITY WORKER YELLOW!!
JHickson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 05:36 PM   #2
GMCPaul

Thumbs up

Worn linkages can enable a person to engage Reverse or First and then without coming out of one of those gears to engage 2nd or 3rd also. This causes a truck that can not be shifted and dies when you try to move it by letting clutch out.
To solve the problem remove side cover, you will see 2 shifter forks that slide over 2 collars (syncros) slide the 2collars to their middle position ( this place Reverse - 1st in neutral and 2nd - 3rd in neutral) now align forks connected to cover with collars and reinstall. You are now in neutral ready to start truck and place in gear to drive her on.
Welp back to work for me!!
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 05:37 PM   #3
bigvinnie

damn, man!!!... can't believe you're still mucking with this problem..... at worst you can disconnect the shifter linkage at the trans altogether and manually shift the gears right at the trans..... either that or it's easy to disconnect the driveshaft so you can get the truck rolling....

Both of these methods are VERY simple and will work to get you rolling..... GO FOR IT!!!!!

72 Stepside Project
bigvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 08:47 PM   #4
68 Stepside
huh?

Or...you can unhook your shifter rods at the column. The front rod controls first and reverse. If you loosen the nut on the arm that holds the rod, be sure to grab the plastic nut that holds the rod into the eyelet. Now, once you have the rod loose, you can engage first gear by pushing the shifter rod down. To put it into neutral, lift up slightly until you feel it "click". To put it into reverse, pull up on the rod until you feel it "click". Rinse, wash, and repeat as necessary...LOL

Best of luck to you.

TJ
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 10:12 PM   #5
CoryM

Jhickson, Im near surrey. i am busy as a surrey girl on a saturday night though for the next few days. If it can wait till maybe mid-next week I can probably help ya. Email me with the details.
CoryM

"Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high."
Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, Canadian Army
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2002, 02:43 AM   #6
bowtie

You have mail

I use and accept Paypal
bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote