The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2006, 09:34 AM   #1
Rokcrln

rust repair for blazers!

We are looking at picking up a 2wd blazer and doing a DVD set on rust repair as related to blazers. It would cover all the basics, floors, rockers (inner outers and boxes), kick panels, quarters both infront and behind the rear wheel, doors, tail gates and so on. It would be a step by step DVD showing the related areas and ways to go about fixing them the right way.
Seems almost all the stuff out their is for trucks and yes it is close but for all you blazer owners and want to be owners it is not close enough at all. Is their any interest in this.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 03-18-2006 at 09:35 AM.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 10:32 AM   #2
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Re: rust repair for blazers!

YES !!!

2 bad ur in Cali, I'd pay ya 2 use mine as the guinea pig

But like w/ anything else, how much is it gonna cost
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T

Last edited by LUV2XCLR8; 03-18-2006 at 10:33 AM.
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 11:24 AM   #3
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

I am sure that the people who do not have the skills to do rust repair would be all over it ebfabman sold alot of his copys for the trucks and his video is really good (although could use better music imo) and showed me where to start and finish..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:03 PM   #4
IGOR

Yes - absolutely - count me in!

1972 CST K5 - Undergoing frame off, 8.1/4L80E/NP205, 3/4 ton, 8" lift, currently a pile of parts that when assembled resemble a Blazer
1972 K10 - Rust Bucket, TBD
1976 C10 SWB, 350 / T350

My blazer build thread:
https://ck5.com/forums/builds/72-k5-...17-update.410/
IGOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:34 PM   #5
Gillnetter

That sounds great.I would pick one up for sure.We have alot of rust up here!!
1970 SWB 4x4 4 speed 307
Gillnetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 03:06 PM   #6
blazerboy72

If you want to ship it or come over here you can use mine. LOL It just needs the drivers side done. The passenger side is perfect put the drivers side is rusted out from the front bumper all the way to the back bumper.
blazerboy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 03:32 PM   #7
Ochre

I'd want one
Ochre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 04:11 PM   #8
VinceY
Just need a couple more parts.

I am interested. Even though I don't need it quite yet, it's just a mater of time.
1958 Shasta Airflyte Travel trailer (fresh restoration)
1971 C/10 Pickup(Frame off Restoration)
1972 K5 Blazer CST (Daily Driver & My Company Truck)
1976 Honda CB750 Bobber
1988 Jaguar XJ12
VinceY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 10:34 PM   #9
Rokcrln

Well the blazer we were looking at turned out to be a problem waiting for an owner. Half way converted from 4x4, no title (out of state 7 years ago), rear leafs, no motor and from the sound of it not enough body damage and rust to make a good how to DVD. Not that we could not finish everything off but if we go that route it will be from start to finish, 4wd to 2wd conversion (trany, front suspention, rear coils with stock arms and some type of suspention up grades) for a totaly factory look and that would be a DVD by it self. Then all body work and panel replacement and rust prevention how to's ready for paint, second DVD. Then to finish things up we are thinking about doing a DVD just on body mods like fuel doors, shaving fire walls a few diferent ways (from easy to super show) and what ever else might come along. But for now we will just be keeping our eyes out for a good donor victom that needs alot of work. I think it would be better in the long run to find a 4wd and go that route since once it is done their would not be much stock left on it to keep a factory 2wd value. I will keep everyone posted. Also if you have ideas on diferent things you would like to see done in an advanced how to DVD (not a how to weld and build a show car in one step) let us know and we can look into it. Alot of mods can be done on trucks or burbs ( I always have them in my shop) and may not need to wait for just a blazer.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 03-18-2006 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:54 AM   #10
vtblazer

Great to see someone taking notice of blazers.

Has your shop done alot of blazers/jimmys?

Totally different than trucks.

Same only different kinda thing.

Last edited by vtblazer; 03-19-2006 at 08:56 AM.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:23 AM   #11
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtblazer

Has your shop done alot of blazers/jimmys?

Totally different than trucks.

Same only different kinda thing.

I have had a few my self but not alot. They are different but when it comes to rust replacement, panel swapping and what not it is all the same to me. Their are only so many things that change when working on vehicals and trucks and blazers only have a slight dissasembly differance ( and then re-assembly) in some areas but all the checks and balances are the same to me. My mine works a little bit diffferent that most and some time that makes things a bit easier for me.

But you are right Blazers are different and that is one reason why they get left out alot. The other reason is their were not as many built so the after market does not have as much $ to make off them as compaired to the trucks. But at the same time being that thay are convertable it is that much more important that they are restored in the correct way.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:09 PM   #12
krue
Designated A-hole!

I'm in! I'm definitely gonna need all the help I can get.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:15 PM   #13
13lazer
13lazers' blazers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln
Well the blazer we were looking at turned out to be a problem waiting for an owner. Half way converted from 4x4, no title (out of state 7 years ago), rear leafs, no motor and from the sound of it not enough body damage and rust to make a good how to DVD. Not that we could not finish everything off but if we go that route it will be from start to finish, 4wd to 2wd conversion (trany, front suspention, rear coils with stock arms and some type of suspention up grades) for a totaly factory look and that would be a DVD by it self. Then all body work and panel replacement and rust prevention how to's ready for paint, second DVD. Then to finish things up we are thinking about doing a DVD just on body mods like fuel doors, shaving fire walls a few diferent ways (from easy to super show) and what ever else might come along. But for now we will just be keeping our eyes out for a good donor victom that needs alot of work. I think it would be better in the long run to find a 4wd and go that route since once it is done their would not be much stock left on it to keep a factory 2wd value. I will keep everyone posted. Also if you have ideas on diferent things you would like to see done in an advanced how to DVD (not a how to weld and build a show car in one step) let us know and we can look into it. Alot of mods can be done on trucks or burbs ( I always have them in my shop) and may not need to wait for just a blazer.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
i have a 1972 cst k5 with all the typical damage, floor, inner rockers, door jambs, and quarter panels. otherwise its a very solid and complete loaded orange cst blazer. quality sheet metal work is whats gonna kill me here. i was thinking about completing the frame with everything upgraded and fresh , motor, tranny/t-case, 8 lug axles, and the new 3/4 ton rear leafs. (all in my posession right now) then i was gonna offer up a body swap to someone who had a clean body and an old crappy not yet updated running gear. this project might suit your needs, and im looking for a good way to get out from under it. im in l.a. and i have access to a flatbed trailer so i can transport this body at will. i am looking to get this blazer body out of my grandma's garage asap. i know i will never get back all i have invested, i am reasonable and i'm just looking to minimize my loss. let me know if anything sounds good to you. otherwise count me in on your blazer dvd. i might need it.
later
13lazer
n0smog@yahoo.com
p.s. there are a bunch of pics showing the body damage posted on my member gallery on ck5. i use the same username there. its the orange one not the grey one. later

Last edited by 13lazer; 03-19-2006 at 02:24 PM.
13lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 03:04 PM   #14
Rokcrln

13lazer
Thanks for the offer but if we are going to do this we would find a basket case (with in reason) blazer to start with. This way we will not be out of pocket as much. Also I would only be looking for a 4x4 inrder to do a conversion DVD out of it.

Also on a side note we have had a few people contack us on doing a "Tip & Flip" dolly for the blazers and as of right now it is not in the plans. But I do have a customer who has a factory 2wd blazer I will be doing frame work on in a few weeks and we might toss this idea around a bit more. It would be a larger dolly that would require two people min. to Tip & Flip it and it would only go to the drivers side and passenger side. Not the front or back like the 67-72 (see sig. below) cab model does. We will keep everyone posted if this starts to take shape.

What is the weight of a striped blazer body?
Also is anyone making rocker boxes for you guys yet?
And if not is their a need for new rocker boxes?

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:39 AM   #15
ClassicJimmy
FNG to resto/mod world!

I'm sooooooooooo interested! Count me in!
04 Nissan Titan ECSB Off Road - sold & missed
13 Ford F-150 Ecoboost (work truck) - sold
16 Ford F-150 Ecoboost (work truck)
ClassicJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:35 PM   #16
jcfoote60

I have a titled 72 donor here in Idaho. It has all the classic problems with the tub, but a good frame. No drive train other than differentials. This is my first buy and a lesson learner. bad flloor pans, rockers, front lowers on bedsides, around the wheel wells and spotting around the rear bed area. Too much for me to consider fixing so I moved on and bought other rigs to restore. Come to find out later the guy was a fisherman in Seattle and took the top off in April and put it back on in October....leaving it on the dock during that time in Seattle. You get my drift. Not sure how I would get it to you but I am willing to join in this great adventure. what a cool idea so I am in.

JC
jcfoote60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:40 AM   #17
Rokcrln

Thanks guys but last night (early this morning 1am) I bought a factory 2wd that will work great for a demo doner. It needs all the clasic stuff with out being a rust bucket. Plenty to do and I will be STUCK with a 1970 2wd when done . This will be down the road a bit as I have several customers vehicals in the shop before my own get to join in the fun. I will start off by building the TIP & FLIP dolly for the blazer first to get everyone started.
Also were is the post showing how many 2wd were factory built??

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:49 AM   #18
SLIMJIM

Here is the post about 2wd #'s.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=188820

SLIMJIM

Last edited by SLIMJIM; 03-21-2006 at 09:49 AM.
SLIMJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:56 AM   #19
punk27

are there dvd's out there for 67-72 chevy/gmc pickups?
punk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 04:09 PM   #20
krue
Designated A-hole!

www.ebfabman.com

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:06 PM   #21
East End K5

YES Get me that DVD at ONCE!.......

[B]1972 Chevrolet K5 Blazer RIP
1986 GMC Sierra K3500 1TON, Long Box, V8350 RIP
1980 Chevy Silverado C30 Cab and Chassis, 454 TH400HD. RIP
[B] 1995 Chevrolet Tahoe 2D [B]
East End K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:38 PM   #22
72CSTC5
Account Suspended

Rokcrln, yes they make rocker boxes for these vehicles. Good luck on the project. They made a handful of the 2wd 70 Blazers. Rare of the rare for these models. I have one of the rare "rust free" 2wd rust free versions. The only fab work I got to do was shave the entire body and cowl, firewall, rollpan, tailgate skin and so on and so on. I do not know if you are a big fan of metal to metal panel bonding adhesive but you may want to list it as an alternative to welding some patch panels in your DVD for those people that do not have welders out there. Just my 2 cents.
72CSTC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:23 PM   #23
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72CSTC5
Rokcrln, yes they make rocker boxes for these vehicles. Good luck on the project. They made a handful of the 2wd 70 Blazers. Rare of the rare for these models. I have one of the rare "rust free" 2wd rust free versions. The only fab work I got to do was shave the entire body and cowl, firewall, rollpan, tailgate skin and so on and so on. I do not know if you are a big fan of metal to metal panel bonding adhesive but you may want to list it as an alternative to welding some patch panels in your DVD for those people that do not have welders out there. Just my 2 cents.
Yes I am not a big fan of glue! I will try to work it in as we go because you are right about the welding thing. Thanks for the advice!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:36 PM   #24
Rokcrln

Ok now that we have a project blazer it will still be awhile before we get started on the DVD set. I wil have the TIP & FLIP dolly out for it in a month or two. Then we will start colecting all the parts we need for the body side of the build. Here are some before pic's so you can see what we will be working on since this build will not be fully posted as we go.

It will be getting new rockers both inner and outer.
Both kick panels.
Both front floor sections and while they are removed we will cover rust repair and prevention on the rocker boxes.
The passenger side quarter panel will be replaced.
Drivers side rear corner and tail light housing will come out as well.
Fire wall smoothing.
Hood mod's
Full suspention build up.
Brake up grades
Motor and trany swap (LS1 and AOD)
A/C install along with fitting the dash with stock vents.
Posibly suicide door build as well as many other options and up grades. I also have my 71 PU that will be playing a part in the DVD sets and if their are any other things that people want to see just post it up.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2006, 10:38 PM   #25
Rokcrln

A nother 5 pics.
Attached Images