The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2006, 07:34 PM   #1
C10 Club Tennessee

Fuel Gauge Problems...AGAIN!!!

Okay, here we go again. Just got off the phone with board member Byrd who was trying to help me with this thing, but we couldn't resolve anything. So I figured I'd bounce it off some other brains.

For those of you who don't know or don't remember I have replaced the Fuel Sending Unit and also bought a fix-a-gauge fuel resistor. It was working for a while, but now has stopped.

One thing is the resistor is HOT as hell when the key is turned on.

I have read ALL of my other posts when I originally had this problem and nothing is helping me with the problem I have now. Byrd and I thought that maybe the sending unit wire was kinked or broke. No such luck.

I put a test light on the fuel gauge spot on the fuse box and it has power when the key is on. I didn't remember it having power the first time.

Before anybody asks-YES I have pulled off the sending unit wire and it goes to about 3:00 on the gauge. I've grounded it and it goes back to empty.

Any help would be appreciated, trying to get it ready for Maggie Valley.

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:23 PM   #2
Mechdawg

Re: Fuel Gauge Problems...AGAIN!!!

It sounds to me like your fix a guage resistor has gone bad on you. The original factory resistor was a wire wound type capable of handling roughly 1 and a half watts. If your replacement resistor is rated at less then that then the extra wattage going through it will be disapated as heat and may make the guage work for a little while but eventually the heat will kill the new resistor and your gauge will stop working. See if you can find an original style factory resistor if you havnt seen one it looks like a small strip of cardboard with a wire fillement wrapped several times around it. Hope this helps. If you cant find one pm me I think I may have one on an old cluster I could send you.
Mechdawg is offline   Reply With Quote