The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2006, 07:02 PM   #1
00StangGT

Cruise control problem on '85 6.2 Diesel

I have a problem with the cruise on my '85 chevy. It will engage only like once out of every 30 times I try. It will also only set if I push the resume/accelerate slider to the left. It will not set if you push the set button on the end of the turn lever. Hopefully you can follow me on that. When it actually does set, it will kick out after like a second or two. Sometimes it will go for a couple miles, but after a bump, it will kick out. What could the problem be? This is my first question on this board. Looks like a really cool place to hang out and get some questions answered. Pardon the Screen Name, but I keep all of mine the same so that I don't forget them. Is there a forum for me to introduce myself and post some pics of my new truck?
00StangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 07:04 PM   #2
00StangGT

Re: Cruise control problem on '85 6.2 Diesel

Stupid me, just went back and looked and saw the Welcome area. I will post something tonight when I get some pics of my beast.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:29 PM   #3
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Two things that come to mind, that may or may not be related to your problem...

Maybe the switch is bad on the stalk? If it is the same one as my truck uses, it is available in the HELP! section at your auto parts store for about $40. I would think a bad switch or broken connection could make it hard to engage or cause it to disengage when you hit a bump.

I replaced the stalk on mine in 2-3 hours. Tie a string to the connector at the bottom off the column, pull it up through the column, and use the string to pull the new wire/connector back down the column.

Maybe the brakelight switch is adjusted too sensitive, and hitting a bump engages it and disengages the cruise? Someone could follow you, and tell you if your brakelight flash when it disengages.

My cruise actually still works, so I have not had the problems you have. I know these ideas are kind of out there...

Slonaker
Old 06-10-2006, 09:26 PM   #4
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Replace the control on the column---The wires on the stalk (column control) are very small and they break easily. I have seen this problem before and the stalk control was the source.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 09:45 PM   #5
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

same with my 92. when it did work it would stop if I truned the wheel. replaced the wires and switch all was well.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:21 AM   #6
00StangGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonaker

Maybe the brakelight switch is adjusted too sensitive, and hitting a bump engages it and disengages the cruise? Someone could follow you, and tell you if your brakelight flash when it disengages.

Winner. It was the switch onthe brake pedal. The switch kinda screws to adjust it in or out. I screwed it in so that it holds more firmly against the pedal. Works great now. My pedal sags about 1-2 mm and that was enough to trip the switch. Thanks alot. The kicker is that I just went to the auto store and bought a new switch for it today. Thought that had to be it. Guess not. Thanks alot everyone.

2000 Mustang GT 5.3L Nitrous Injected

Coming Soon:
Novi 2000 (Mustang)
Fully Built 6.5 Diesel w/ Twin Snails (Chebby)
Old 06-12-2006, 01:00 AM   #7
Russell
Professional Grade

Glad to hear you got it workin again

What kind of cruise does that diesel have? Is is electronic, or run off a cam mounted vaccum pump?