The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2006, 09:33 PM   #1
bl705k

transfer case noise?

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and first time owner of 70 blazer. It seems you guys know your stuff so here goes. The 70 has a grinding noise coming from the transfer case or transmission especially when I let off the gas. I'm leaning toward t-case because the noise stops when I shift the case from 2 hi to neutral. The transmission is a manual four speed and the noise only appears when in fourth gear. Is it a safe bet to get the t-case rebuilt? Thanks for any reply
bl705k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:57 PM   #2
jamie72

Re: transfer case noise?

check the oil first it my be low, mine was making noise last weekend, and it was low on oil.. hope for an easy fix, good luck, and welcome to the board!!!

member #807

http://www.myspace.com/whitetailobsession
www.antlertalk.com
jamie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:37 AM   #3
tpi72blazer
Tpi72Blazer

Another thing to keep in mind once you check your fluid level is that our NP205 transfer cases are gear driven instead of having a chain like newer models. Given a little wear, you will hear a little "whine" coming from the transfer case that newer chain units typically won't have. The gears make a much stronger setup than a chain, but usually do make a little noise.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:33 AM   #4
krue
Designated A-hole!

Welcome to the board from South Mississippi!

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:40 AM   #5
Jason915

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi72blazer
Another thing to keep in mind once you check your fluid level is that our NP205 transfer cases are gear driven instead of having a chain like newer models. Given a little wear, you will hear a little "whine" coming from the transfer case that newer chain units typically won't have. The gears make a much stronger setup than a chain, but usually do make a little noise.

I would drop all of your gear oil in the transmission, T-case and replace also grease all of the U-Joints and check for excessive driveline back lash also don't forget to grease the driveshaft splines. My Dad's 72 K10 was making noise that he thought was comming from the coupler between the transmission and T-Case and it actually was his rear diff. The limmited slip was shot and the bolt that holds the threw pin in the carrier was out and all bent up. He rebuilt the limmited slip replaced the bolt Now it is fine
Both of my 205's are nice and quite even in low range but I did rebuild the one in my truck. It can be kind of hard to narrow down noises in drivelines but I have found that transfercases get blamed alot but are not necessarily the culprit I will never believe that the chain T-cases are not as noisy as a 205 becasue some of the loudess T-Cases I have heard are 208's in low range. JMO

Good luck, chasing those types of noises down can be a pain

1970 K5 TBI conversion lifted etc SOLD
1968 C20 camper truck SOLD

“To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless.” Jeff Snyder
Jason915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 10:42 PM   #6
bl705k

Thanks for the replies guys. I ended up changing the fluids in the t case and transmission. I noticed the oil level in the t case was high and the trans level was low. I'm thinking there must be a bad seal somewhere. The noise still remains with changed fluids. I'm leaning toward driveline backlash with the hard top off I can hear the grinding noise coming from the rear axle. Thanks again with the help.
bl705k is offline   Reply With Quote