The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2006, 05:49 AM   #1
rcbildr

Started to convert----700R4 to SM465

This week I got tired of looking at my 4x4 'Burb knowing I have most of the parts I need to fix it and not being able to drive it. I picked it up a little over a year ago with a bad engine...found a crack in the block...and got it going with an engine from a wrecking yard. My friend and I could tell the tranny (700R4) was going out, and after a few months of driving...well I lost overdrive so I figured it would be best to park it until I could fix it.

I found a vendor on E-Bay that was selling rebuilt 700R4's for a nice price (way cheaper than anyone else) and they had a good feedback rating. So I was going to use them, but I found an SM-465 with the linkage and pedals on craigslist.com for an even better deal...$110, so I had to go get it. I just read (and read again, and again, and again) an article on coloradok5.com (http://www.coloradok5.com/auto2manual.shtml) where this conversion was done on a Blazer with a TH-350, and I figured I could do that conversion on my 85 'burb. I know I wil be losing overdrive with the conversion, but the price was too good not to do it....and most of the people on CK5.com liked going to a manual. The only differences are, I am using the stock T-case (NP-208) and mechanical clutch. Eventually, I would like to convert to a hydraulic clutch.

So far I've removed the transfer case, drivelines, transmission linkage, and the transmission but now I've ran in to a couple problems. The adapter for the SM-465 to the NP-208 has a piece that has broken off. It is the part of the adapter that covers the lower bearing on the transmission. I have the piece that broke off and I think with a good cleaning and lots of JB Weld it will be ok....all it does is cover the bearing and acts as a seal. If that doesn't work I will find another adapter.

The next problem is something I was worried about, but it doesn't seem too difficult to take care of. I saw a listing on ebay that said something like the 4x4's with a TH-350 has a 27 spline output to the t-case and the th-400's (and manuals I think) have a 32 spline output to the t-case. I was thinking that my 'burb would have the 32 spline because it is diesel, but I was wrong. Turns out the 700R4 has the smaller output shaft for the t-case and the SM-465 I have has the larger output shaft. I found a place in Spokane (did a search on google) that knew exactly what I needed so on payday I will be giving them a call for the right part....and then I get to take apart my T-case.

Next on the list to do is to remove the steering column, bolt in the z-bar bracket on the frame, and install the flywheel & clutch.

I'll try to get some pics over the next couple days. Thanks!
1967 Suburban 1/2ton 2wd

My Girlfriends Projects
1985 Chevy Suburban 3/4ton 4x4 with 6.2L diesel, 4" lift, converted to TH-400, Warn Premium manual hubs, & Wildcat 315/75/R16 tires. (daily driver)
1978 Camaro Type LT with a Marine 350 & vortec heads, Rochester Carb, & roller cam
1978 Camaro Z28
rcbildr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:37 AM   #2
rcbildr

Re: Started to convert----700R4 to SM465

Here are some pics of the project....

This is the 'Burb that I'm working on.

Here are the parts I've removed so far. Turns out the 700R4 is not the original transmission. The sticker says it is a rebuild.

This is the transmission I want to use.

Here is the adapter with the broken piece

And the underside of my 'burb.

I still have to remove the flex plate, but I did get started on removing the steering column. I think I have all the bolts out, but it seems like there is something it is hitting when I try to pull it out all the way....this is the 1st steering column I've pulled. I may call a friend over to see what's going on with that next week. Thanks!
1967 Suburban 1/2ton 2wd

My Girlfriends Projects
1985 Chevy Suburban 3/4ton 4x4 with 6.2L diesel, 4" lift, converted to TH-400, Warn Premium manual hubs, & Wildcat 315/75/R16 tires. (daily driver)
1978 Camaro Type LT with a Marine 350 & vortec heads, Rochester Carb, & roller cam
1978 Camaro Z28
Old 07-08-2006, 08:07 AM   #3
rcbildr

Didn't make much progress last week. I was thinking about using and older 10 spline SM465 with a Rockwell T221 transfer case. The price of modifying my drivelines was too much for my budget right now so I am staying with the SM-465/NP-208 set up. I now have the 32 spline input gear and I fixed the broken piece on the adapter...hope the jb weld will hold up. Thanks!
1967 Suburban 1/2ton 2wd

My Girlfriends Projects
1978 Camaro Z28
Old 07-24-2006, 06:08 AM   #4
Bob Gervais
Truckless for the moment...

Looking good! That diesel is going to be great with the manual. I think my 700 is about to give up the ghost as well, perhaps this swap will be in my future too!

Good luck with it, and keep us posted!
1987 V1500 GMC Suburban, 350 TBI, Flowtech dual exhaust, Rough Country 2" spring lift, 56" 3/4 ton rear spring conversion, 33" BFG All Terrains, and the smokescreen engine mod -- Former truck, searching for another now...
Bob Gervais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 07:28 AM   #5
rcbildr

Thanks, I've heard some people on CK5.com really like that set up....I'm anxious to get this finished. Sorry it's been a while, I totally forgot to post another update. I am at a turning point for the project, all the disassembly is done. I ran into a problem with the starter, part of the case hits the flywheel....nothing a cut-off wheel on a grinder couldn't fix. I did some searching around on NAPAonline.com and found out there are 2 different starters depending on the transmission. Then I ran into another headache, my starter had a shim and I managed to lose it. But after a trip to the auto parts store I got the starter shimmed properly, and started to get the transmission in place. The floor pan is stamped for a shifter hole, so I cut that out, and tried getting the transmission lined up with the engine. Turns out I had to cut a little more around the back part of the hole to get the tranny high enough to line up. I fussed around with that for a while and got too tired trying to line up the main shaft with the pilot bearing and clutch....time for a different plan. I remembered that the trucks with a Manual have a removable floor so I figured I would try and find one and adapt it. That way I can use the engine hoist to support the transmission and hopefully have an easier time of getting it to line up. So I did some searching and found a board member here has one and I also found a couple items on Ebay that will make life a little easier. I bought a clutch/brake pedal assembly and I found another center floor too...I figure on having 2 floor sections just in case I mess one up. So far there has been one casualty during this project. I slammed the front driver side door shut and managed to break the glass....found a replacement on craigslist.com.

Right now I'm waiting for the ebay items to arrive and then I will remove my front seats and center console so I can adapt the center floor pan. While I'm in the cab I may try and hang the clutch/ brake pedal bracket too. A couple weeks ago I scored a set of 15" wheels with decent 33" tires and I couldn't wait to get them on. They look cool, but the wheels have something like 2" of backspacing so the fronts stick out pretty good, I think they are going to hit the fenders so I am probably going to have to give it a 4" suspension lift before I can drive it.

I'll try to keep up with taking pics as I make more progress. Thanks!
1967 Suburban 1/2ton 2wd

My Girlfriends Projects
1978 Camaro Z28

Last edited by rcbildr; 07-24-2006 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:32 AM   #6
rcbildr

Made some progress. The SM-465 is now bolted in my 'Burb. I was very busy the last few weeks and this is the 1st chance I've had to actually work on my 'Burb. I was missing it too. The last few weeks I was helping a friend start construction on their house and during the afternoon lunch break I went fishing. The last place I went to, where I parked the road was a little too soft and my Blue 'Burb (it's 2wd) got stuck...at least I caught some fish.

Anyways, the transmission is bolted in, mostly. It looks like I need a different mount for the crossmember and I have a couple more bolts to put in on the bellhousing. But the tranny is in and I didn't have to cut the floor out. Because the SM-465 is so heavy I was thinking aobut adapting a removable center floor from a Blazer. Next on the agenda is to go to the parts store and get the mount I need and then work on hanging the clutch pedal. Thanks!
1967 Suburban 1/2ton 2wd

My Girlfriends Projects
1978 Camaro Z28