The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2002, 07:34 PM   #1
Paul Clark

After market stuff

This might be opening a big can of worms, but -
How many manufacturers are there turning out parts for these trucks? Does every vendor actually have a different company supplying them, or is it all the same stuff made at the same place (Taiwan?) with different vendors selling it all at different prices?
Not a slam at anyone. Just curious.
Thanks
Paul Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 09:04 PM   #2
smitty62

Paul, it's not all Taiwan stuff. This outfit makes the repro panels themselves--(at least they say they do) surplussupplyco.com Their prices aren't any cheaper---better? I don't know.

Stepsides look like real trucks!
Smitty

smitty62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 09:16 PM   #3
Tim Christian

Smile

A lot of stuff only has one manufactor(sp) and then some stuff has more that one(but not much stuff) They are a pretty good mark up on the parts.
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 09:37 PM   #4
Paul Clark

Let me be more specific.
How about mirrors, insulation, grills, seat covers, stereos and stuff like that.
Doesn't it all come from the same place(s)?
Not flaming anyone. Like I said, I'm just curious.
If I want a grill that's not factory, do I just shop around for the best price, or is there a difference?
Thanks
Paul Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 01:53 AM   #5
lofly'a

i know where you're going with this paul, and i'd like to know too. i'd love to see everyone rate parts according to fit, finish, and quality, but i'm afraid that we would disagree. i've seen one member rave about a repro part and another talk about how sh***y it fit. i'm not a very good authority because i do a lot of custom work and have only had experience with rockers, cab corners, and rubber trim.

-2003 YUKON (Wife's)
-71 gmc swb fleet (current project, gonna shave everything, bags, stuff w/ 20's, gen III powertrain)
-48 3100 SWB - 12/31/23 LONG TERM Project
lofly'a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 06:27 AM   #6
Tim Christian

The best advice I can give is buy it from someone that will let you return it if you don't like the way it fits. On a item like a grill it would probably be easer local but not in all cases. I know I bought some polished bed bolts from GMCPaul once and I was not happy with them was not a problem he took them right back. Also if I am not happy with some I buy ffrom David King he will take care of ya but it is always best to ask before you buy if you can send it back and how it would be handled.
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 07:34 AM   #7
GMCPaul

Mirrors-3
Insulation-2
Grills- 2 maybe 3 The tawain manufacturers have been working together in many cases which is a great benefit sharing technology and techniques I feel, Apex, Chang Yuang, Tri-Plex, APBT, etc..... they all offer the part as theirs but I believe its only 2 companies doing them possibly 3.
Seat Covers- 4
Stereos- 2
Some parts are limited to just 1 manufacturer, others parts I know have over a dozen.
In my list above those are the number of manufacturers I know about. In some cases there may be more as we still find new manufacturers regular doing these parts.
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote