The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2006, 05:38 PM   #1
Kantosensei

Brake questions

I just received all of my brake parts and will start changing everything out tomorrow morning. I have never replaced a brake booster/master cylinder or wheel cylinders. From my Haynes book, it looks pretty straight forward, but the directions from the booster/master cylinder it seems a lot more detailed. I bought the brake booster/master cylinder together from Autozone.

1. Do I need to remove the master cylinder and bench bleed?
2. Will I need to adjust the brake pedal stroke on the master cylinder?
3. Is there anything else I need to know before I get started?

From the instructions, it seems that this could be an all day affair. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I need to schedule my time at the base auto hobby shop by 8:00 p.m. (Japan time) tonight. Thanks--David
Kantosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:32 PM   #2
Aarons72s

Re: Brake questions

1 no, I dont think any one really does this anymore. just install it hook up the lines and put brake fluid in it, let it set for about 10 minutes, lets the fluid ooze through the lines then just bleed as usal. Oh by the way since it is from auto zone if it fails and you have to take it back say you did bench bleed it, or they wont warranty it, that is the way they use to not have to warranty stuff.
2. If it was done properly at the factory then no. The best way to tell is to after you finish installing everything, take it out for test drive and see how it feels and go from there.
3. The only suggestion from here is on wheel cylinders is getting the drums off, that is usually the hardest thing in doing drums. And oh watch out for those drum brake springs, they can be dangerous.
Aaron
Aarons72s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 11:17 PM   #3
72 CustomCamper
huh ???

Re: Brake questions

It would me a good idea to bench bleed the master cylinder. It only takes a few minutes to have the piece of mind that there's no air in it...

Chuck

"I am a bomb technician. If you see me running try to keep up!"
72 CustomCamper is offline   Reply With Quote