The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2006, 06:19 PM   #1
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

Smile Inspection

Hi all. How's everyone doing? Not been posting much but read about every day. Been doing OK myself, nothing too major going on right now. Anyway, I thought I would tell you a funny story that happened to me today.

My inspection sticker has been out on my truck since July.

You see, they quit doing emissions inspections on vehicles older than 99 in North Carolina, in my county anyway. December 2005 was the end of it. My last emissions inspection was July 2005. Right after this I removed everything emissions related on my truck. I'm talking every last drop of it. I had dealt with this crap and trying to have a faster truck at the same time. It can be done to some point but you still have the ugly engine bay and cats to deal with.

I replaced my Edelbrock EGR intake to a Performer RPM Q-jet. Replaced my Edelbrock emissions legal headers with Hooker long tube Competition ceramic coated ones. Removed the cats and old exhaust and finally found a place who would install a true dual exhaust for me. Removed the air pump and charcoal canister along with all the hoses and junk. My Billet Specialties pulleys work for me.

Anyway, way back I was trying to get the guy who done my emissions inpections to pass me with two cats. He wouldn't do it saying the truck came stock with one and a y-pipe so it had to be this way now. I finally did talk him into passing it when I told him I had found someone who would if he didn't. He didn't want to loose my money I guess.

Like I said, my inspection ran out in July of this year. I hadn't been much worried about it since I very seldom drive it. Today, after a doctors visit, I decided to try and get it inspected. I was told by a local auto parts shop where to go. I go there this morning and walk up to the guy and ask him about inspecting my truck. He said no problem. I said well it's not exactly legal. He then blurts out "Hell no. I don't know you." He then takes off on a cursing rage about he is in trouble now with the state about being caught and would probably be fined or maybe loose his license to do inspections. He said he mistakenly put a non emissions sticker (yellow) on a OBD II vehicle for a car lot. The state caught this and are investigating him big time.

I say fine. I don't want to get you in any more trouble. I say I will find someone else to do it. He then says what are you driving. I tell him and goes out to look at it. He asks to see under the hood. I show him. I make a little more small talk and say well, I guess I'll go if he can't help me. He says, pull it in over there (other bay) and I'll inspect it for you. I give him my registration card, he types everything in the computer, removes my old sticker and puts on the new one. He gives me the receipt and I say what's the damage. He says 10 bucks. I give him a 20 and shake his hand. He grins and says thanks.

To end this novel, I now am finally emissions free, even visual. Hoorah.

I got a big kick out of him raising cane and then saying pull it in over there and I'll inspect it for you.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:20 PM   #2
kevinr1970

Re: Inspection

I got a little lost?
If they stopped doing inspections in December 2005, why did you have to have it inspected?
Or is emissions and visual(?) two different inspections?
1991 GMC CrewCab Dually 4x4, just going to fix things up for now
1982/1989 K5/GMC Jimmy 2wd
1987 GMC 1/2 ton swb 2wd Crew (sold)
kevinr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:14 PM   #3
chevy_fatman
Where's my beer?

He only mentioned emissions, If it's anything like here in PA, at least in some areas you gotta have 2 inspections, safety and emissions, the second for newer cars which means 2 stickers for any vehicles newer than '76

How do you make the invisible, visible?.........You take it away.

Last edited by chevy_fatman; 11-17-2006 at 09:18 PM.
chevy_fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:36 PM   #4
kevinr1970

The only thing we do locally is emissions. And its back 25 years so this is the last year for my '82. Yay!
What do they look for in a safety inspection?
1991 GMC CrewCab Dually 4x4, just going to fix things up for now
1982/1989 K5/GMC Jimmy 2wd
1987 GMC 1/2 ton swb 2wd Crew (sold)
kevinr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:59 PM   #5
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

OK, to help the lost I will explain.

Up until Dec 31 2005, they had safety/emissions inspections (just one sticker) in my county of NC on all vehicles newer than 25 years. So my inspection is due in July and I had to get one final safety/emissions inspection in July of 2005. So this year, 2006 all I had to have was a safety inspection but, they also do a visual inspection of all emission equipment. It all must be there and in working order or at least look like it works. They don't test it but just look to see if it's hooked up and on the vehicle. They don't do a tailpipe inspection on any vehicles older than 99 any longer here, just a visual when doing the safety.

Hope this explains it a little better.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:43 PM   #6
mySAVIOReigns

Although to this day, no one has believed me except for a handful of about 10 people, my truck was built without a cat and with no A.I.R. pump. The reason is, the guy I bought it from lived in a town next to mine, was a farmer, and ordered it that way. As some farmers will let you know, you can't have a cat on a truck in the field full of hay - it can catch fire and burn it all up. So anyways, I try telling the inspection guy this. "Nice try, buddy," he says.

So, after heading to the junkyard and buying all of this crap, then being forced to put it on there, then going and having a cat put on, I finally got inspected.

According to Texas law, I should be free in like 4 years

-Stephen
1985 Chevy Silverado, 1/2 ton
mySAVIOReigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 12:08 AM   #7
84 400
Sb 400 club

here in MA emissions laws suck (grrrr i don't like this state) . here the law is 84 and newer have tailpipe emissions and saftey test and it is one sticker. for emissions it is a visual and a tail pipe 84 and newer and it deos not go up. It should but this state has its head up its azz. anyways if you don't have a cat you stand a 10,000$ fine if the cat is required equippment for that year. however younger then 82 and it all good just safty. Saftey for those who asked is that the seat belts work if the vehical came with them. also it must have operational lights tail lights and body must not have holes. they can fail you for bad brakes no ebarake weak frame alot of rust so on and so on. basically if it had tail lights ebrakes and other such equipment form the factory it must have it and be working. Also the thing that never made sence to me is that if it blows some blue smoke they can fail you for saftey???? go figure. Sounds like you found a nice guy at that shop and your state (NC) sounds much more practical then this state
1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 12:40 AM   #8
SanitysBane

A little "tip" was all it took to get my vehicles inspected.
SanitysBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 02:13 AM   #9
magnethead
7000 #'s of american IRON

Quote:
Originally Posted by mySAVIOReigns View Post
Although to this day, no one has believed me except for a handful of about 10 people, my truck was built without a cat and with no A.I.R. pump. The reason is, the guy I bought it from lived in a town next to mine, was a farmer, and ordered it that way. As some farmers will let you know, you can't have a cat on a truck in the field full of hay - it can catch fire and burn it all up. So anyways, I try telling the inspection guy this. "Nice try, buddy," he says.

So, after heading to the junkyard and buying all of this crap, then being forced to put it on there, then going and having a cat put on, I finally got inspected.

According to Texas law, I should be free in like 4 years
that's where origional paperwork always helps.
magnethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 07:29 AM   #10
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Thumbs up Re: Inspection

Welcome back Mike,

It's good to here you and your truck are free i know you have been fighting this for along time and now you have no more emesions to worry about.

Thats a kool story i guess this guy will be your new inspector from now on unless the state pulls his inspectors permit.

You know were gonna need pic's of this new exhaust sys. of your's, Right!

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 10:01 AM   #11
bigblock73
yeller

I am sooo glad MN has no safety OR emissions testing. We haven't had safety inspections ever as far as I am aware (or as long as I have been driving), and our emissions testing was dumped about ten years ago.

But Mike, that is cool...now this means you better start driving/working on that truck some more now.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 10:56 AM   #12
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Lol Mike, you turned that around well.. Fayetteville started doing all the crap you been talkin bout for years now as well. IT SUCKS. Friends shop takes care of us, but they did get busted and its ugly what the state does to the shop owners when they go after em. Re open, new name dba as and back in business, with the state watchin every move

Anyway welcome back and glad you found someplace to do it. Last year I drove on a dead inspection for 8 months for same reason..
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote