The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2006, 09:25 PM   #1
DriverDown

Unhappy Bolting in buckets...

I know this has probably been done to death, but I couldn't seem to narrow the search down to just 73-87 trucks... so I apologize in advance...

I picked these seats/console up from an '86 Suburban for my '84 Silverado (and the fabric, although still dirty, matches better than the stock bench!). I should also be able to get my hands on the brackets that are welded to the floor for the inside bolts, but I'm still not quite sure how to go about bolting them in. I'm stuck with unruly brackets and a lack of proper measurements.

I pulled the bench and was at least able to get a good look before having to bolt it back in for work tomorrow bucket seat-less. From what I've read, I'll need new seat brackets. I had hoped to be able to just pull the "rail" out of the bench seat bracket and slip it into the bracket on the bucket(s), but it doesn't seem to want to come out and I can't see the trick to it short of drilling out a rivet or two. So much for that idea... So do I HAVE to find the rare pickup brackets? Also, once I do get to the point to bolt them in, is the idea to "simply" drill a hole in the floor and bolt them in with a nut/washer/bolt or should I have a shop weld in the appropriate threaded insert and bolt them in like my factory bench seat mounting points...?

Lastly, I have really nothing to go on for positioning the center console... is this just done to personal preference or are there factory measurements available?

I'd appreciate anything you guys could offer from experience or if someone could just point me in the right direction...!?

Thanks...
DriverDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:44 PM   #2
86swb
Born a Chevy Man

Re: Bolting in buckets...

I also have some bucket seats and colsole I want to put in my '86 but they are the low back seats and I also have the brackets that needs to be welded to the floor. I will be installing these someday and would also be in need of advice on the best way to go about putting these in. I am sure someone will be on here who has done this with some great advice on how to do this.

*1986 Chevy SWB Silverado
*1984 Chevy Longbed Silverado

New Kia Sportage (Wife's car and she loves it)

CHEVY, American made w/pride!

If you can read this, YOU NEED TO THANK A TEACHER!
If you can read this in ENGLISH, PLEASE THANK A SOLDIER!
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND BLESS OUR FIGHTING TROOPS
86swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:53 PM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

This will make some good reading for you guys...

Buckets

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 12:57 AM   #4
DriverDown

Thanks for the great link - I have actually read that page several times - which is why I insisted on the tabs when I purchased the seats/console... but with pickup seat brackets as rare as they are, I'm hoping there are alternatives...(?) One possibility I'm pursuing is locating a second set of bench seat brackets - if I could modify them to bolt to the buckets, then, after the tabs are in place, I'm thinking I'd be looking at two holes to drill in the floor rather than three. This doesn't take the console into account.

Also, the page referenced doesn't address whether I'm safe just sticking a bolt through the floor or if I need to have a shop weld in a threaded insert... or the factory correct positioning of the console... these are probably simply questions, but I've done very little to my projects that didn't use or re-use a factory mounting location, so I don't have the experience.

Last edited by DriverDown; 11-20-2006 at 12:58 AM.
DriverDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 09:15 AM   #5
beaterC10

I used Blazer buckets in my truck, they are very similar to the buckets you have. I modified a set of bench seat rails for each seat. I had to shorten the section of each rail that attaches to the seat to accomodate the seat structure. I was able to attach the rails to the seats using the existing seat brackets. If you dig around in the foam on the bottom of the seat you should find additional threaded inserts in case you have to fab brackets or have to re-locate them.

To install the seats I positioned the seat using the factory front outside and rear outside holes and drilled the holes for the inboard seat slide. You should be okay using bolts, washers, and nuts to attach to the floor.
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote