The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2002, 06:09 PM   #1
Dandeluxe

Question code no. ? p1870 for a 1997 sub 1500

does any body have a code book that can tell me what code this is on a 1997 chevy suburban 1500 4 wd

1969 cst swb corvette hugger orange with 400 hp sbc

I started out with nothing and i held on to it
Dandeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 08:26 PM   #2
Jwill41

1870 is something to do with the tranny. Mine is a 97 c1500 stepside 1/2 ton. Sometimes it shifts very hard to second. This is what the code is related to. They quoted $300 to install a kit that will fix it. If not fixed it will eventually go completely out and cost a lot more.

Thanks to crowz from another board for the following.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Actually this is a common, known problem with that transmition across ALOT of years.
What you should of felt before this happened was a nice sharp wham in the 1st to 2nd gear shifts at time. This is sometimes followed by a code 1870 being store in the computer. Which causes the service engine soon light to come on. If you take it to your friendly gm shop they will normally tell ya its nothing and erase the code. The code means "slipage".

What happens is the computer on these doesnt do a hard lockup like the older transmitions such as the 700r's did. It does a slllooow slip into locking the torque converter up. The bug in the transmition is that a piston in the valve body gets worn normally around 100k miles. Sometimes sooner. Sometimes later but normally at 100k. When this scars up it takes ALOT more pressure to engage the torque converter thus it slips. This of course kills the torque converter eventually and leaves you where you are now. The fix is actually quit cheap and gm should be sued for hiding this if ya ask me but doesnt look like its gonna happen. Anyways heres the link for the kit to fix the prob.

http://superiortransmission.com/prod...on/4L60E_V.htm

If the person rebuilding your transmition doesnt install this kit you will have a burnt up torque coverter again VERY shortly after getting your trans rebuilt.

Trust me on this

The odds on him knowing about it arent to good from what Ive read on the net.

For anyone else getting the hard 1st to 2nd shift right now that happens after driving the truck for 10 miles or more at 60 mph then coming to a stop and starting off again or if you have a code 1870 in your computer you really need to get one of these kits installed NOW. If you dont you will be visiting the trans shop soon enough.

67 1/2 ton GMC short step side
68 1/2 ton Chevy long fleet side
72 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban
99 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban

founder (and only member) of the primer/clearcoat club

Last edited by Jwill41; 08-19-2002 at 08:35 PM.
Jwill41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 08:55 AM   #3
Jwill41

Your welcone Dandelux. Mine is going in the shop soon for this. They quoted me $250-$300 to do it.

67 1/2 ton GMC short step side
68 1/2 ton Chevy long fleet side
72 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban
99 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban

founder (and only member) of the primer/clearcoat club
Jwill41 is offline   Reply With Quote