The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2006, 08:50 PM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

What did you get done? 12/10

I had a fairly productive weekend even though I was on call. Saturday I got up early and spent some time cleaning trucks. I got my 06 Crewcab detailed and finished detailing the interior of my 04 Dodge Quadcab so I could take pictures. I put my Dodge in Truck Trader last week and needed to ad some interior shots but had been getting home after dark.

I pulled the rear wheels off of my 84 Z-28 and inspected the rear suspension. Unfortunately every piece of chrome has rust on it, but the painted surfaces look like they may clean up. I went to my local tire shop and got two tires to replace the dry rotted tires I had. I scored two like new 15's for $20.

I spent the rest of the day taking my daughter Christmas shopping and running service calls. Saturday night we went to a Christmas party.

Sunday I was back up early again. I got the two fresh tires back on the car so I could set the rear on the ground. I jacked the front up and pulled the front tires so I can replace them too. While jacking I heard a pop and saw something fly. I found the remains of dry rotted urethane sway bar bushings scattered under the car.

While I was under there I pulled the drain plug and let the old oil drain out and dropped the old filter. While the oil was draining I replaced the gas struts on the hood. It actually holds its self up now.

I spent the rest of the day running service calls ....

What did you get done?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 12-10-2006 at 09:04 PM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:06 PM   #2
killthewabbit
Spear and magic helmet!

Re: What did you get done?

Saturday I got an early Christmas present - a new instrument lens for my 78 stepside. I put that bad boy on and made a blog post about it. If you're so inclined, you can read the post here.

Today I didn't do much of anything, except watch my Titans pull another one of those late comebacks. Nice to see them doing well now.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:16 PM   #3
dswancutt

Well, my 78 k-10 managed to die on the way to my uncle's farm. Running about 60 mph in the hills north of town and it just died. Managed to pull it over to the side of the road, just cranks over but that's about all. Pulled it back home, I have fire at the plugs and the fuel pump works. I think I have a weak HEI module. Well, gives me something to work on next weekend.
dswancutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:49 PM   #4
pcmcobra

Had my oldest girls 7th birthday party, she had a slumber party, so I had 8 7 year olds laughing and screaming all night, lol. I just stayed on my pc and played call of duty all night...with headphones.
Been watching ebay for a serpentine kit, got a little too high for my cheap a$$
lol
pcmcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:56 PM   #5
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

Tweaked on the electric choke some more, got it a bit closer I think. Saturday my stereo randomly quit working Traced the amplifier issue to the System Control wire coming loose, not sure why my head unit is sporadically not working. Gonna pull my seat after my finals Monday afternoon so I can work on it.

Non-truck, cleaned the yard Saturday afternoon, currently watching DEM SAINTS and writing a 2000+word English essay
2009 Kawasaki KLX-250S too many mods for this signature
1999 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder, 17" Motegi Wheels 215/45/17 Sumitomo tires, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, KYB GR2 shocks, Acura TL 20mm rear swaybar, debadged, blackhoused headlights, Short-Ram Intake
Cardomain of the Accord
cliffsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 11:51 PM   #6
AspecialZ
Street Rod Restoration

Sold my summer toy....I'm still up in the air about how I feel about it N2TRUX, nice Z!
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2006, 12:45 AM   #7
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

well, i removed insurance from the truck on friday. its not like i drove it much(or at all now) and it should help with money since i just got laid off on friday too
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:51 AM   #8
SCOTI

I worked late again Fri night & went back in early sat am until about 2pm. I got home & did a little rattle can detailing on my lower ART arms (touch ups basically) in anticipation of installing them today. I played around w/my buddy buckets & console to determine the location of my air-switch mounting (I'm torn on whether to cut up the original center jump seat/console to mount the switches??????). I also got my electric fan install 'kit' paid for & hopefully it will arrive before next weekend.

Today mother nature rained me out so not much was accomplished.

How about an unofficial poll: Dash instrument gauges? How important is it that they all match? (co-ordinating the font & color of all the engine & air-ride related gauges in my 68 is my goal)
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:55 AM   #9
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspecialZ;
Sold my summer toy....I'm still up in the air about how I feel about it N2TRUX, nice Z!
Thanks! It "was" a nice Z many years ago. Now it's just another black hole that will never be worth what I will have to put in it. The true test will come when I try to see if I can get it started. If the motor is still in good shape then it might be worth the effort. If not, then it will probably be sold for parts.

Too bad you sold your Camaro. If I were buying one, that's exactly what I would want.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 12-11-2006, 07:42 AM   #10
n2billet
Village Idiot....

If memory serves me correct you bought that Z for pennies on the dollar from a very good friend I say loose the hood and the rear aircraft wing, install a simple interior, buff the little jewel an inch to her life, mount a set of chrome/billet wheels and lay down some fresh lines on the graphics and drive the thing! Just my two cents, I know you didn't ask but you got it anyway!

It's good to see her out in the sunlight after a loooong rest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Thanks! It "was" a nice Z many years ago. Now it's just another black hole that will never be worth what I will have to put in it. The true test will come when I try to see if I can get it started. If the motor is still in good shape then it might be worth the effort. If not, then it will probably be sold for parts.

Too bad you sold your Camaro. If I were buying one, that's exactly what I would want.
n2billet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:42 AM   #11
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2billet;
If memory serves me correct you bought that Z for pennies on the dollar from a very good friend I say loose the hood and the rear aircraft wing, install a simple interior, buff the little jewel an inch to her life, mount a set of chrome/billet wheels and lay down some fresh lines on the graphics and drive the thing! Just my two cents, I know you didn't ask but you got it anyway!

It's good to see her out in the sunlight after a loooong rest!
That's correct, I got it "donated" back to it's original owner from a good friend.

It's going to have to be a project of passion if it goes back together. As AspecialZ can attest, there is not a lot of value in 3rd gen F bodies right now. For the cost of the interior alone I could buy a nice driver.

Keep in mind, that it's going to take more than just "slapping" a simple interior in it....

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 12-11-2006 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:35 AM   #12
bodydropped

ken just do what my dad did to sir galahad just wax it and drive it (which i drive it more than him)

this weekend was fun sat mornin it was like 29 and its a pain in the butt to try and crank a blown show truck in the cold. i took my dads show truck to work to get it cleaned up for a local crusie and well it ran perfect after i filled the tanks up and when i got to work it started to run like it had a miss. i ended up pullin all the plugs out and come to find out they were clean but i had a loud vaccum noise but it was still runnin like crap. after work i called my mom and said i wasnt drivin it home so i wouldnt risk of killin it since if i did my dad would kill me. she drove it home and parked it, dad came and looked at it and was scared but after new plugs it still ran rough but then i was lookin and one of the rear blower bolts that hold it down was missin. after puttin it back in and checkin the other 3 that were loose it ran perfect and by that he laid a nice pair of burn out marks in frt of the house. i drove it to the cruise and got a little happy with it, i so want to build my blower engine with the throttle response it has i want one. other than that my weekend stunk
bodydropped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:59 AM   #13
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

My wife and I spent the weekend tent camping and fishing with another couple. We had sleet Friday night and rain Sunday, but it wasn't too bad. I only caught one catfish the whole weekend. It was 17¾" long. We had a good time.

A lowered SWB Chevy looks funny wet, dirty, and loaded up with camping gear.

Slonaker
Old 12-11-2006, 12:29 PM   #14
hiway
Mad Scientist

I say hull it and make a drag car outta it...and I got nuthing done in the shop.

86 1/2ton on tons! sbc/465/208/D60/14/35's
81 Postal....with 468 bbc
97 Merc Marq comuter
07 Suburban
02 Danger Ranger
hiway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:16 PM   #15
82c10
needin' money

i actually did somerthing to my truck, i bagged most of the trash from the bed of it, now i may get the rest of it cleaned out next weekend, other than that, i changed the oil in my car, and waxed part of it
Old 12-11-2006, 01:48 PM   #16
1987 Shortwide

Saturday I began organizing and cleaning in my shop, it's still a mess but significantly better than before.

I also picked up my new daily beater. I've become much less hard-headed about being pure chevrolet lately, I like going fast and getting good deals. I picked up a 1992 Talon TSi AWD for a whopping 1,000 bucks. Now I can shift gears, enjoy the boost, and launch at 5K rpms without chirping a tire. The other one in the picture is my wife's, we picked it up not running with a fully forged fresh rebuild a few months ago for 500 bucks.

Sunday I cleaned a bit more and started building my airbrush booth for smaller items. Got one of 3 lights mounted.

The exhaust fan for it:

Then in the evening I basically got the golf cart I've been working on finished. It's ready for clearcoat now. Byrne is the owner's last name.

T'was a busy weekend.
My 87 buildup
Daily Driver: 99 Sierra SLE 4X4. Black on Black and harder than hell to keep clean.
1987 Shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:17 PM   #17
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

well on satureday i went to a friend of a firends house and put a down payment on a late 70's chevy for the motor for my 68,,plus a few parts i need for my 84..most of the body looks rough,,but didnt really look close at the truck..im after the motor..after that i will post parts for sale if there are any worth selling...other than that didnt do to much...
Old 12-11-2006, 03:12 PM   #18
SSC's76
No No

I was really tempted to go into the shop and do some painting on my 82 fire bird but it was too nice out side. I rode my harley most of the weekend went into work sunday did a full service on the bike again to get all the dino juice out and rode the rest of the day.

Next weekend I'll do some work to my new tailgate, it's got some dents that need fixed before I get all crazy and re paint it.
Gen VI 454, Muncie HD 3 speed With Modified OE Hurst Shifter, 3.73 12 bolt, GMPP HO roller cam, Hooker headers, Performer intake with modified Q-jet, Accel distributor. Best 1/4 12.3 @108. Funnest run 19.84 @88 full 1/4 mile burn out.
1997 K1500 ext cab 5.7 stock except muffler
SSC's76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:40 PM   #19
Russell
Professional Grade

I got my rear shocks installed, and finished up the rest of the wiring on my truck -- Once I get some front shocks, bolt my box down, and figure out my fuel filler (didn't like the wheel tub idea much) I could technically put it on the road.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:24 PM   #20
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Lately I have been focused on getting House stuff more than truck stuff so the majority of the weekend was spent getting prices for new flooring, carpet and windows.
I did work on Jimmy finishing up the bodybushing install and I worked on a replacement crossmember for my project truck.

Oh, and after way to much time sorting the harness for the 6.0L, I went and ordered a harness for it.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com

Last edited by Captkaos; 12-11-2006 at 06:25 PM.
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:12 PM   #21
Russell
Professional Grade

Well, I lied -- I've got an update as of now :P

My truck now has all four shocks installed, and good to go, and I am well on my way to relocating my fuel fill door -- I did some more, closer looking, and it looks like I can literally graft the door from up front to out back. Those little bumps on either side of the box up front are to make clearance for the fuel fill, and I can just cut them out and move them back. I might even have it done as soon as this weekend...

Basically just need to bolt my box down, and I could technically go for a mechanical inspection, and start driving / tuning it
Old 12-11-2006, 08:32 PM   #22
boatpuller

i managed to fill the bed with xmas decoration boxes
Attached Images

boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:37 PM   #23
84 400
Sb 400 club

did not do much truck related..... dad and bro came up to my school and we went to a hockey game in which unh beat st lawrance 2 to 0. then i kept my dad up at school and he went and looked at guns while i studyed for finals. we then got him home for his suprise 50th birthday part. it was alot of fun. his freind from high school came into town and i fired up the truck for him but did not drive it because it has no insurance and the road is full of salt. but heck i did start it up for the fiorst time in a fe3w months. i also looked at the inch of dust on it and felt sick.

Ken the z looks like it was once a sweet show car and now in need of some love. atleast it is not body rotted but then again texas does not really get that so good luck.

87 short wide while i am not a fan of the "rice" style cars you got a good deal on the talen. good luck with it nothing like shifting your own!! did you find any interest in the bbody yet? good luck with that
1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:20 PM   #24
Grande Rojo
paper or plastic?

nothing truck wise, lots o' Christmas shopping though
Grande Rojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:56 PM   #25
1987 Shortwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84 400 View Post

87 short wide while i am not a fan of the "rice" style cars you got a good deal on the talen. good luck with it nothing like shifting your own!! did you find any interest in the bbody yet? good luck with that
Not too much luck yet... I actually dropped the price to 4500 today.

I used to hate imports too, and for the most part I'm not a fan. I just became infatuated with the feeling of the +G's on your body when you launch those all wheel drive turbo cars. When I test drove it I did a light 4K launch, spit the little tray from below the radio out at me. "Yep, that'll do"
My 87 buildup
Daily Driver: 99 Sierra SLE 4X4. Black on Black and harder than hell to keep clean.
1987 Shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote