The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2007, 08:25 PM   #1
oldno7

powdercoating the frame!

Hey! I'm going to be coating the frame soon, and would like some info on what I need to do before hand. I'm going to put a rear fuel tank in! I"m running a 400 turbo! I want to drop the rear 6 inch! I also would like to change the crossmember! Well advice would be great. oldno7
Old 02-07-2007, 08:30 PM   #2
bowtieboy93

Re: powdercoating the frame!

for a 6 inch drop u will prob need to c notch the frame or even put in a drop bridge for the fuel tank it might be a prblem because of how far the bridge(if you need one) will come back.
bowtieboy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:31 PM   #3
1969k10stepside

To powder coat it,it mostly needs dis-assembled.If you were going to notch the frame I would do it before hand but most everything else should be done after.Other stuff you need powdercoated most likely will need done seperatly.I would test fit everything first,drill holes,weld,ect and have it powdercoated.Then install everything for the final time(hopefully)
1969k10stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:40 PM   #4
BCOWANWHEELS

after all the modifying and test fitting lastly sandblast it all and dont touch it with your bare hands. take it straight to the coater. make a appointment for the coater so he knows your comming with the blasted frame. get it coated as quick as possible. do all extra parts at the same time so it all color matches.
BCOWANWHEELS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:52 AM   #5
uno67

do all the modifications before hand. if your gonna drop it that low your probably gonna want to relocate the shocks, and a c-notch which means taking off rivets and i would do that before or your gonna damage your pretty powder coat. and depending on which tank you use in the back you might have to remove more rivets. i would do all the mods first and then tear it apart and get it sandblasted and powder coated.
uno67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:06 AM   #6
Joe67
67 is sold

If your truck is a 67-72 you do not need a rear c-notch for a 6" drop.

Your project sounds alot like mine, rear fuel tank, 6" Early Classic static drop.
For the drop there are no mods required to the frame itself. I would mockup the rear tank for installation and drill any necesary holes before powdercoating. You will need to remove one or two rear braces to install the tank, depending on what size/model you go with.

My chassis was already powdercoated and assembled when I bought it. When I mounted my rear tank, I just drilled the holes, sanded, primed and painted them up before I mounted my fuel tank.

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:41 PM   #7
fishmunger

i would notch it if you plan to carry anything when you're done. I hit all the time with only a 5" drop--i had about 300-400lbs in the bed. I notched it and relocated shocks, problem solved.
fishmunger is offline   Reply With Quote