The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-27-2002, 05:03 PM   #1
7T1BURB

Question Windshield Installation Tips/Help

Just spent the day removing the original deluxe (SS trim) windshield from the "Meatwagon" (former funeral home Burb). Cut WS gasket from inside and removed the original WS. Better part of day spent preparing the area to acept new WS....down to bare metal and then primer surfacer....tomorrow I will paint the area prior to installing a new WS. The "removed WS" still has the trim on it and I was wondering if any of you had any tips on removing the trim without damaging it??? (I suspect that I'll have to cut the old gasket away from the trim??) Any "gotchas" on installing the new gasket, trim and windshield?? Appreciate any help....Thanks!!
7T1BURB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 05:19 PM   #2
tom hand
CCRider

*Take truck to glass shop
*Go eat lunch
*Pick up truck
*Write check

That is the 4 easy steps. I did every thing on my truck including the paint, but the front windshied with the trim is a pain. I put all the other glass black in, but wouldn't mess with the windshield. I got a friend that works in a glass shop to put it in on the side, and he broke the first one. The best bet is to find an old glassman to put it in, because most of these young guys have never put one in. If you are really hardheaded you can do it, but if you break it you will wish you paid a pro.
Old 08-27-2002, 05:59 PM   #3
BIG ORANGE

Thumbs up windsheild istalation

I echo Tom Hand's reply you want be sorry,out of all the trucks that I have built I have always let the glass shop install.
I break,I pay
they break,they pay.
Sound smart to me,go figure.

Things happen for a reason!
BIG ORANGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 06:05 PM   #4
bigvinnie

One more vote for having it done by a pro.... I've done several, and the stainless trim makes a difficult job even more of a pain... a reputable glass shop can do this easily.

72 Stepside Project
bigvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 07:05 PM   #5
7T1BURB

The votes are in ..... off to a PROFESSIONAL glass shop!!! Thanks for your advice.
7T1BURB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 07:22 PM   #6
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Hey guys, does that go for the rear window too? Or is it easier than the front glass?
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 08:33 PM   #7
NuBomb

Just reinforcing the earlier votes. I put mine in about a year ago and I'm now planning on having it redone. Went to the glass shop and the guy there said "I remember when these things came out in 67. Had a hell of a time stopping the leaks. Used to install them for dealerships back then." That was the end. I knew I found the place. Hoping to have it done in a couple of weeks.

North Georgia Group

"... And the first rule to being a man is you gotta spend your life doing crap you don't wanna do." Red Forman.

Last edited by NuBomb; 08-27-2002 at 09:06 PM.
NuBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 08:34 PM   #8
Blazer1970

If you search this forum, Junkyard John posted an excellent write up on how to install a windshield. If you follow his instructions, you can do it.
Old 08-27-2002, 08:37 PM   #9
racedvl
Account Suspended

Thumbs up

I installed my rear slider, and it was not too bad.....
racedvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 08:41 PM   #10
Blazer1970

Here it is

junkyardjohn sez
Quote:
OH IT'S NOT THAT TOUGH -- FIRST OF ALL,LOOK OVER YOUR WINDSHIELD LIP & MAKE SURE IT'S FLAT,EVEN (INNER SKIN TO OUTER SKIN) & NO SHARP BURRS OR EDGES THAT WILL CUT YOUR GASKET) WORK IT OVER WITH A DIE GRINDER IF NESSESARY,IF YOU POP FOR A GOOD GASKET, LIKE ONE FROM SOFT SEAL, IT'LL GO ALOT EASYER (YOU WON'T BE SORRY ABOUT THE FEW EXTRA BUCKS) FIRST PUT THE GASKET ON THE WINDSHIELD, (#2) PUT THE STAINLESS TRIM IN THE GASKET,(#3) SRAY SILICONE IN THE WINDSHIELD GROOVE OF THE GASKET,(#4) PUT 1" MASKING TAPE, IN ABOUT 12 SPOTS, ABOUT 6" LONG, HOLDING THE GASKET WITH THE TRIM ALREADY INSTALLED TO THE WINDSHEILD,(#5) PUT 3/16" OR 1/4" ROPE AROUND THE WINDSHEILD LIP GROOVE IN THE GASKET,STARTING AT THE BOTTOM CENTER & LEAVING ABOUT 18 " TAG ENDS STICKING OUT IN THE BOTTOM MIDDLE.(#6) YOU & A HELPER SET THE BOTTOM OF THE GASKET ON THE LIP, & PUT THE WINDSHEILD IN POSITION.(#7) GENTLY PULL THE ROPE THRU, AS YOUR HELPER PUSHES,& SLAPS WITH AN OPEN PALM OF HAND, FROM THE OUTSIDE,(#8) A SMALL HOOK REALLY HELPS AT THIS POINT TO HELP PULL THE GASKET INTO PLACE, PULL THE ROPE ALL THE WAY AROUND.(#9) WITH THE GASKET & W/S FULLY INSTALLED, UNDO THE TAPE & PULL IT THRU THE GASKET TO CAB SEAL, (IT'LL COME OUT) LET IT SET IN THE SUN ALL DAY FOR THE GASKET TO SETTLE IN. IF DONE PROPERLY, IT WONT LEAK SO YOU WONT NEED ANY SEALANT. IF YOU RUN INTO ANY PROBLEMS, START OVER. NOT THAT TOUGH.

Blazer1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 09:05 PM   #11
NuBomb

After talking to the guy at the glass shop, I'm convinced I was sent the wrong gasket. I bought a gasket from GM, but I could never keep the chrome in the groove while trying to do the rope method. I had an experienced bodyman working with me, but he said the new windshield was about to crack. I'm sure it can be done exactly how Junkyard John said, but I still plan on having a professional redo mine. After all the work it ended up leaking between the gasket and the glass. I'm just gonna chalk it up to experience and have it done right.

North Georgia Group

"... And the first rule to being a man is you gotta spend your life doing crap you don't wanna do." Red Forman.
Old 08-27-2002, 09:15 PM   #12
junkyardjohn

Thumbs up

OH IT'S NOT THAT TOUGH. JUST BE PATIENT & DON'T FORCE IT. NO MAJIC INVOLVED. LOL
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 09:26 PM   #13
NuBomb

Majic ----- no. Profanities------YES!

North Georgia Group