The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2007, 07:18 AM   #1
mike63078

wiring help

hello there

can anyone tell me which wiring harnesses plg into the firewall at the fuse box. i have a cab which is wires stock but no wires forward

i saw a front light harness and the engine harness in the brothers catalog if i buy these will i have all the needed wires?
mike63078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 12:32 PM   #2
Russell
Professional Grade

Re: wiring help

Up front there are three seperate plugs that combine into one big one that plugs into the firewall.

The biggest one, which is on the far left, is the engine harness. It has the starter stuff, sending unit wires, alternator stuff, and power feeds for the ignition, and the rest of the truck as well.

The middle one, which is the second largest, is for the front clip, including the lights, proportioning valve sensor and horn.

The third one, which is the skinny one on the far right is for the tailights.

I'd personally just run to the wreckers and find myself a fresher harness from there. Normally the engine and front clip wiring harnesses don't get screwed around with much, so they are usually pretty much a bolt in type deal, without any modification less cleaning. Just get something from a similar year, that has similar options.

The tail light harnesses are frequently boogered up right at the end when some old hick went to install trailer light connectors, but if you're at all handy with a soldering iron, its very easy to replace the connectors out back with a 4 pin weatherpack connector from the rear of an 88+ truck. Usually the tail light harness is in good shape otherwise.