The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2007, 09:07 PM   #1
myersjeremy

Rough Running

I do not understand what is going on with my truck. I installed the carburetor and adjusted it by ear to what seemed to be a great idle and revved great, as long as it is in park. As soon as you put it in gear it begins stumbling. If you give it some gas it will spit and sputter and shoot some black smoke then nearly die. I finally gave up when it died after the last adjustment and seemed like it didnt want to turn over. It was really straining the starter. Hooked the jumper cables up and it still didnt want to turn over so I pulled the diesel over and jumped both batteries off the diesel and it still didnt want to turn over. Maybe this is a combination of problems all rolled into one but I am about ready to dig a hole and bury the truck........Any ideas??????
myersjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 09:26 PM   #2
Srubydo1986
The Crazy Machanic

Re: Rough Running

i have some one.

vacum lines any. id say the rear one for the auto trans (cause i think you have one maybe)

Also you may have fried the starter But if it keeps turning the day after all that your fine.

But if you bury your truck let me know ill dig it out an drive it

* 1970 chevelle 2dr sedan Latest update June 24 2007.

*1957 4 door stationwagon - pink all original needing a good restore (body great, floors bad)

newest additions
1965 shortbed fleet great granddads. Been told im nuts to bring it back from the dead (still going to happen) plans-all stock with a turbo 292 inline 3 speed column shift. and thats it

big block 427 and 5 speed trans and ford 9 inch theyhave no home yet thinking what to put them in

and a 79 c60 trash truck um no idea i have one

Last edited by Srubydo1986; 04-25-2007 at 09:27 PM.
Srubydo1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:07 AM   #3
ocbaud
Garage Queen Material

ditto on checking the vacuum line to the tranny. i dont think it being unhooked would cause it to run that bad though.
ocbaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 01:12 AM   #4
xtreme80
Wishin' I had more money!

This is most likely two things...

First, is that your timing is off. Make sure you hook up a good timing light and time it correctly to spec. If you don't have a light, try retarding the timing a little to see if this helps (retarding it is clockwise on the distributor, and you don't have to do it much, just a little bit to see if it's improving or not)

Second would be that you're flooding the engine, making it harder to turn over once it does flood. After it sputters and dies, get a light and look down into the top of the carb. Try to see if it is unusually wet with gas in there. If it's flooded, you've probably got a float problem.

The vac line to the tranny wouldn't cause it to not turn over very well. When I put my new carb on, I accidentally left that unplugged, and it started fine, it just wouldn't hardly move down the road without the vacuum.

I'm going to guess it's a timing problem though.
xtreme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:27 AM   #5
69BBsuburban
Right in front of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme80 View Post
This is most likely two things...

First, is that your timing is off. Make sure you hook up a good timing light and time it correctly to spec. If you don't have a light, try retarding the timing a little to see if this helps (retarding it is clockwise on the distributor, and you don't have to do it much, just a little bit to see if it's improving or not)

Second would be that you're flooding the engine, making it harder to turn over once it does flood. After it sputters and dies, get a light and look down into the top of the carb. Try to see if it is unusually wet with gas in there. If it's flooded, you've probably got a float problem.

The vac line to the tranny wouldn't cause it to not turn over very well. When I put my new carb on, I accidentally left that unplugged, and it started fine, it just wouldn't hardly move down the road without the vacuum.

I'm going to guess it's a timing problem though.
Yep...sounds like a timing issue...........
'68 Dodge Charger R/T
1930 Ford Model A
69BBsuburban is offline   Reply With Quote