The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2007, 09:15 AM   #1
84_chevrolet
Truck CRAZY!

anyone ever do any dash pad mods?

Has anyone ever taken the top layer and the foam off their dash and fiberglassed and smoothed it out? Is there any way 2 customize the dash pad any way? just curious and any pictures or anything would be appreciated. Mine is cracked and exploring my options
84_chevrolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:21 AM   #2
BaddBusa2005

Re: anyone ever do any dash pad mods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84_chevrolet View Post
Has anyone ever taken the top layer and the foam off their dash and fiberglassed and smoothed it out? Is there any way 2 customize the dash pad any way? just curious and any pictures or anything would be appreciated. Mine is cracked and exploring my options
I would like to know this as well, I am going to try and do a dual guage pod on the center of the dash....booooost and wide band. I figured i would try it on my old cracked up dash. If it looks bad, oh well...
Old 05-03-2007, 09:38 AM   #3
FlatBrokeRacing

Hey guys,
I just recently stripped mine down to bare metal and painted it red. Not sure what direction I want to go in quite yet. You can check out my thread titled "New guy from BAMA" in the welcome area. All pics are posted..Send me a PM if there is anything I can help with...
FlatBrokeRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:06 AM   #4
neverfinished

I stripped all the foam off, sanded it smooth, glassed in the big seam that's next to the instrument panel and then covered it in black fabric. It was probably overkill to sand the foam off and do the glass work but I didn't want bumps or a big seam showing anywhere. I plan on putting AC in so I left the vent holes open rather than glassing them shut too. There is a spot over the ash tray that would work for a gauge pod, there is enough room behind the dash pad that you're not going to have to move anything. I plan on making a custom instrument panel that mimics the factory panel but gives me all the gauges I want without having the tach strapped to the steering column.
neverfinished is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:20 AM   #5
FlatBrokeRacing

Neverfinished,
You got any pics of your progress. I would love to see what all you did.
FlatBrokeRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:41 AM   #6
bigblock73
yeller

I have this one on my site, not exactly what you have in mind, but a neat mod (for the times) I think.

bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:54 AM   #7
liljon285
That Guy

That looks pretty sick but how can i do that on my 78?
Old 06-13-2007, 04:33 AM   #8
knightlife
Dark Heart Motorsports

I'll try and post pics of what I did to my dash (before I install my gauges). and then toss on an after pic

<BR>

<BR>

tada...blue marble nagahyde wrapped in speaker box carpet...I got annoyed with the cracks and the stock look.

2005 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.0 powwwaa!!! custom jumpseat install w/ captain seats, Hypertech tuner, MSD Blaster Coils, CB and twin antenna's, all electric interior, touch screen in dash. custom center console, with jump seat replacing original console. 1500 HD!

Last edited by knightlife; 06-13-2007 at 08:47 AM. Reason: posted the pics I said I would
knightlife is offline   Reply With Quote