The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2007, 06:48 PM   #1
mattstoc

'72 Carb Help

I need guidance here. About 10 years ago, I had the engine replaced in my '72 Jimmy. While they were doing that I had them replace the carburetor (this is different than how I remembered in my earlier posts - I reread my receipts). Fast forward to present day. My truck had been sitting for the last 6 year. Over the last 2 years my body guy has started it to move it around his shop. Everything sounded ok. I got the truck back this weekend. I drove it about 15 miles, got a full tank, and showed off to neighbors. When I got back to the house it was idling to fast. I turned the idle adjust and things seemed to get better. Took it for another ride (put a little more throttle to it). When I got back it was really idling fast (I would guess 2k rpm - but I don't have a tach). The throttle arm was fully seated against the idle adjust. The thing was nasty dirty - slime, rust, dirt daubers, etc. I took off the air cleaner and cleaned the hell out of it with spray cleaner and a brush. I sprayed the body with WD40. It started right up and then proceeded to rev WAY WAY up. I thought the engine would blow up – I ran back around and turned it off.

I have now pulled the carb. I took it to a rebuilt shop and they basically said it was not worth it to me to have them rebuild it. He and I talked about a few things. One thing I mentioned was that the mechanical choke components weren't hooked to anything. (that is why the long lead in above). He suggested an electric choke carb. I went to a few auto parts places - this appears to be a very expensive carb.

Any ideas on how to proceed? Does the choke not being hooked up cause any problems beyond hard to start and ornery in the cold (it was running fine)? Is an electric choke a good change? If it is does anyone have a model to suggest or what year and model vehicle to tell the auto house. If not, what is the proper way to hook up the choke (a picture here would be helpful)?

Thanks in advance. I hope one day to learn enough to contribute answers and not just questions.
mattstoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:45 AM   #2
Mike C

Re: '72 Carb Help

JET Stage II Q-jet. They cost $349 from SUmmit and it's worth every penny.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:04 AM   #3
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

You said you replaced the carb with the engine 10 years ago, what did you get? Edelbrock, stock Quadrajet, Holley? It sounds like you stuck with a factory QJet but I'm not sure. I'm no carb genius, but for the time and effort saved I would just go get a new Edelbrock with electric choke for $250-$300. It will bolt right on and run great right out of the box. That's my $0.02

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:17 PM   #4
mattstoc

Thanks for the responses.

I called edlebrock and ended up with the same solution that critter recommended. Performer series with an electric choke. Takes an adapter place. I bolt it on this weekend.
mattstoc is offline   Reply With Quote