The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2002, 05:49 AM   #1
Project1970
14.1 @ 96MPH

700R4 shifter/column options?

Just wondering...I want to be able to manually select L1 for the sake of dragracing...and I can't do it with the stock column (not to mention, while Park lines up, Reverse is on N, Neutral is on D, Overdrive is on L2, Drive is on L1, and 2 is on the edge of the indicator). I can't select 1.

Are there any good ratchet floor-mount shifters that would work well in a low-hump cab with a stock benchseat? Or what vehicles could I get a column out of that would be a bolt-in or near-bolt-in? Would going to the ever-popular van-tilt column get me a 700R4-compatible shifter? I really don't care about tilt, the stock position fits me great...

Or is there something I can do to my current column to get to L1? Not too much, hopefully, since I don't want to put a whole lot of work into it...it really needs to be rebuilt and I'd just as soon get another column in better shape. Besides, my backup light switch is kinda far off as a result of the shifter being so far off..

I'd love to do an Ididit, but those are just plain expensive...I'd come out money ahead with a nice no-shifter column and a ratcheting floor shifter, my guess.
Old 09-22-2002, 10:57 AM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

There's been ppl on here able to get all gear selections.
As for the indicater, you can polish off the numbers/letters, and paint your own on there, or find some stickers that will do it.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 11:19 AM   #3
XXL
Seņor Member

As longhornmail points out, the issue of the naming being wrong is just a matter of relabeling things. But to get the truck into low, you're going to have trouble since the linkage won't swing around far enough. In my search for a column to fit my needs (which I have since abandoned ), I ran across several cable-type linkages for columns. They were all one-off pieces adapted from floor shifters (like from an F-body). Just a thought...

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 05:55 PM   #4
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

OD SHIFT INDICATOR

Kugel makes an adjustable linkage kit, for column shifts. It allows you to change the amount of movement at the indicator vs. the trans. You can get all gears & P/N/D lines up. It's SS. I think 22" rod is right for trucks. It eliminates all of the factory rods, mounts & brackets. If you are adding AT it saves $$$ & allows more adjustment. Note: IMO nothing fits like an original column!
Old 09-22-2002, 08:41 PM   #5
nate68

lokar makes a similar kit to what pickmup described.

to get to all gears you have to cut just a tiny bit from the detent (i think thats what its called) only like an 1/8 of an inch or so. it made a big difference when i switched to the lokar linkage (nice and smooth, no more binding bad design stock linkage) so now everything lines up except 3rd (which ends up being inbetween 2 and D) and of course only 2 people ever drive my truck and we know where things go
Old 09-23-2002, 02:20 AM   #6
sam's 72

I don't understand?? I just installed a 700r4 in my truck and I can pull it all the way down in 1st gear, am I not reading something right? Now my indicator does not line up with my numbers, but it dont cause a problem to me.
Sam
Old 09-23-2002, 06:07 PM   #7
gabet40

same thing happened to me when i first put my 700 in but all you have to do to correct it is loosen the clamp on the shifting shaft thats by your master brake cylinder and raise the column so you can get the maximum throw. just make sure your column doesnt go past park and that your tranny stays in park. it was a trial and error for me, about 1/8" at a time. now theres no play in any gears, the reverse lights come on with out having to lift up on the shifter, i can activate the starter from nuetral, and best of all, i can hit low
if my dig cam was workin id take a pic but.....

Former owner of:
69 1/2 ton, change from long/fleet to short/fleet, shaved door handles, shaved tailgate, 4/6 drop, power windows, 700r4
72 blazer, 350 with Holley Commander 950 DFI, crane energizer cam, 350 tranny, dual sanderson blockhuggers/magnaflow exhaust
gabet40 is offline   Reply With Quote