The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > 67-72

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 07:30 PM   #1
shifty
Questionable

HOW TO: Poor man's no-weld gas cap delete

This thread contains many posts and will show an inexpensive way to give a semi-stock appearance to a truck with the gas tank removed from the cab.

This is not originally my idea - I owe thanks to another board member ('uncle') for showing me a truck that had a similar mod from the dealer, I just took it a step farther using a stock cap and took photos of the process.

Approximate cost for this modification is $10, tools required are only a drill, file (or rotary tool) and a wrench.

Parts you'll need:
- Stock gas cap; I used Napa part BK 7031220
- 5/16" Carraige bolt that is 2.5" long (20¢ at Hardware store)
- Two nuts to fit that carriage bolt (5¢ each at Hardware store)
- 5" long piece of heavy steel bar; I used 1/4" thick steel that was 1.5" wide
- Optional: Stock gas tank filler-neck gasket, if you don't already have one installed

Here's the gas cap:
Attached Images

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:32 PM   #2
shifty
Questionable

Re: HOWTO: Poor man's no-weld gas cap delete

If you flip the gas cap over, you will see what it looks like in the first picture below. In order to properly drill the cap, I had to cut off the first dimple of the cap, as shown in the second picture below. A cheap and easy way to do this is to shove the cap bottom-first into a bench grinder till it's gone

(I like to make sparks)
(Be sure to wear safety glasses)
Attached Images

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:35 PM   #3
shifty
Questionable

At this point, you should see the steel that holds the bottom assembly to the cap. I found it was best to drill starting at the bottom. You'll need to make a 5/16" hole all the way through the cap - I used a step bit (aka 'uni-bit') to perform this feat.

Drill all the way from the bottom through to the top. I suggest leaving the hole in the top of the cap small so it will still 'catch' the square provision on the carriage bolt - this is why I chose a step bit rather than a standard drill bit.
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2007, 07:37 PM   #4
shifty
Questionable

At this point, you should be able to slide the bolt through the cap.

You will need to use a file or rotary tool to make a "square" opening in order for the carraige bolt to fit flush against the top of the cap. This is easy - I didn't take pictures of the square hole in the top, but you'll figure it out.

Pics of the bolt inserted and sitting flush:
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2007, 07:38 PM   #5
shifty
Questionable

Next, get a piece of steel stock. This will be used to brace the cap from the inside of the cab as shown in the next post.

I used a 5" wide piece of 1.5" wide 1/4" thick steel. I just happened to have it laying around - use whatever you want, just make sure it won't bend under stress.

I drilled a 21/64" hole dead center of the piece. You could use a 5/16" hole if you wanted, I just wanted some breathing room and had the odd sized bit laying around.
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2007, 07:42 PM   #6
2bits

I would love to see a thief trying to take that cap off to steal some gas too haha!
'74 Monte Carlo
'47 Teardrop Trailer

East Texas Classics Local Club
Old 07-07-2007, 07:42 PM   #7
shifty
Questionable

Finally, I am assuming you already have a gas tank filler-neck gasket on your truck. If not, you'll need to buy one. I got mine from GMC Paul's (www.gmcpauls.com). It was somewhere between $5-10, and their service is great... I'd buy 20 more if I had a use for them

Put a small bead of silicone or similar sealant around the bolt to prevent leaks from happening (thanks, cdowns!). Slide the bolt into the cap, and place the cap over the gasket as shown below in the first picture. From behind, slide the bar over the bolt, then tighten down one of the nuts on the back end. once the first nut is tight, take the second nut and tighten it on top of the first one, then tighten the two nuts by twisting opposite of each other. This will keep the nuts from falling off by locking them together. Double-nutting is a great way to secure stuff.
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2007, 07:44 PM   #8
shifty
Questionable

Here is the end result: A semi-stock looking cover for your gas-hole (har har).

It doesn't look that bad up close or at a distance. It's a cheap solution for me to get by until I can weld everything up properly.

Total project time was 1.5 hours, with beer, and I made everything up as I went. Without beer, after reading this tutorial, you could probably finish the job in less than 45 minutes. I personally prefer using the beer method if you are of age, but remember - all things in moderation!!

Enjoy
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2007, 08:25 PM   #9
uncle

Looks better with a painted (to match body color) cap though. WINK WINK! Couldn't resist.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:28 PM   #10
71swb4x4

I did something similar.

I put the cap on the outside, and then used a 5" bolt (anything 5" would work) and used two cable ties to attached the filler cap to the bolt. The bolt is the long way just like the steel bar above, and each cable tie goes around one of the tabs on the filler cap. It does the same as Shifty's, except you don't have a bolt going through the cap, and all you have to find to make it work is two cable ties and something 5" long.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:35 AM   #11
mnunn454

I also did something similar.

I drilled the cap on an angle to accept my automatic power antenna. Then I cut the neck off the no longer needed tank and split the inside end of it into about a dozen "fingers", bending them outward to act as a securing lip. Still need to touch up the paint around the grommet, but here's what the result looks like so far. Works like a champ.

My goal was twofold. Addressing the tank delete hole, plus having a "stealthy" antenna without requiring all the body and paint work of frenching in an antenna mount. Most people just glance at it, recognize it's unusual and keep moving, so I'm pleased with the result.
Attached Images

29 Model A 4-DR Sedan Deluxe
Old 07-24-2007, 01:17 AM   #12
shifty
Questionable

Re: HOW TO: Poor man's no-weld gas cap delete

PS - can a mod move this to the truck FAQ section please (thanks, krue )

here is a picture of a "from the dealer" modification from a truck that 'uncle' purchased recently
Attached Images

Closed Thread