The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2007, 05:41 PM   #1
Jvan

big block w/ 6 speed in 1st Gen. Blazer

I'm in the initial stages of planning my restoration which is mostly rust/ body repair. The engine and 3 speed manual worked fine when parked. I had thought to leave the engine alone since I thought it was original but found out that PO installed a rebuild bj Jasper in NC. PO also changed from 3 on the tree to a floor shift conversion. Now I'm thinking about installing a modern big block w/6 speed manual from GM. Since there are sometimes interference problem which can be resolved by moving the engine forward and repositioning the tranmission mounts, I was wondering if I moved the big block forward 2 inches or so, how would the 6 speed transmission line up. Has anyone done this? I know anything can be done for the right price but is this a simple swap.While I was at it, if I bought a complete doner truck, I could use the rear end with factory disc brakes.
Jvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:53 AM   #2
vtblazer

Re: big block w/ 6 speed in 1st Gen. Blazer

I'd say start by researching a big block install first.
Seen em go in nice and seen em be a total biatch to get to fit.

Next get some tranny dimension's, compare stock tranny length's to what you hope to install.

Your already into custom mounts for the entire drive-train, so after you decide on the motor/tranny location's start looking around for the brackets that will be needed next.
Several good companies making custom cross members now, sounds like a doable install to me.

Good luck and keep us posted on your findings/progress.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:42 PM   #3
Jvan

Re: big block w/ 6 speed in 1st Gen. Blazer

tHANKS FOR THE SUGGESTIONS. i'M ONLY IN THE PLANNING STAGES AND CONSIDERING ALL OPTIONS. iF THE ENGINE WAS ORIGINAL i WOULD HAVE KEPT IT, MAY STILL KEEP IT FOR AWHILE SINCE IT'S IN GOOD SHAPEBig blocks and 6 speed pickup have been around for awhile so I thoght someone have have already done the swap.
Jvan is offline   Reply With Quote