The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2007, 10:17 AM   #1
epsorenson

Windshield Washer Pump?

hey guys,
took my blazer in for windshield wipers not working (bought it like this).
mechanic told me i needed a "windshield washer pump"?
he tried aftermarket sources but he says they try and sell him the entire set-up.
apparently it's more cost effective just to buy this part alone.

i was told this is the mechanism that actually powers the windshield wipers. if i'm not mistaken the wipers plug into this pump somewhere (mine is a 3 hole plug by the bay) and derive power from it

as you can tell i have little mechanical understanding so i'm hoping to defer to the pros on this one.

anyone know where to get this part? (is this even the right part)

any help appreciated....thanks in advance

71 Blazer K5
epsorenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
VinceY
Just need a couple more parts.

Re: Windshield Washer Pump?

I put an aftermarket one on my blazer. Works better than fixing up the old. Mount the new pump close to the tank. You can find the part at any autoparts store. Send me a PM to remind me and I will post a picture of mine when I get back home.
1958 Shasta Airflyte Travel trailer (fresh restoration)
1971 C/10 Pickup(Frame off Restoration)
1972 K5 Blazer CST (Daily Driver & My Company Truck)
1976 Honda CB750 Bobber
1988 Jaguar XJ12
VinceY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:22 AM   #3
C10 Club Tennessee

I tried this and it shoots it across the garage This is from Putter

Quote:
Sorry I don't have any pictures yet, but here is the jist of the story!!!
Look for an S-10 in the junkyard (possibly other GM stuff also). The washer fluid bottle will have a pump built onto the side that will pop out. Basically the pump has a 'snout' that enters the washer bottle thru a rubber grommet (to prevent leaks).
If you remove the pump and the rubber grommet...those are the two parts you will need.
You then drill the same size hole in your water bottle (IN THE BOTTOM or lower side), install the grommet, then the pump. You will have to fashion something to secure the pump to the truck so it will not vibrate out (I am still working on that part).
The reason you have to install the pump at the bottom of the bottle is...these pumps will NOT suck. They only PUSH, so you have to allow the water to fall into the pump. Once it enters the pump, it will shoot it across the yard if needed. I tried to make mine pull the water up thru the factory cap, but it will not work. The parts house should have a universal one that pulls-n-pushes, but they are close to $20, and it wasn't that important to me.
Anyway, then just run new washer hose (found at any parts house) from the output of the pump up to the the squirters (using a "T" or a "Y" connector so you get water to both squirters).

As far as wiring it, you can to it two ways. You can run an ignition-switched hot wire to the pump (remember an inline fuse!), then route a ground inside the cab up to the factory wiper motor. On the factory motor, you can remove the DARK BLUE wire from the factory plug (should also contain two yellow wires). Attach the dark blue wire to your new pump ground wire. If you do it this way, it will work exactly like factory (even if you have installed a delay kit).
The other way to wire this is to ground the pump, then run a new HOT wire inside the cab.
Take the same dark blue wire off the motor, and use it as the ground wire of a Bosche relay....which will send power to the pump. Basically, it does the exact same thing, but is a little more involved.
I would wire it up the first way if it were me....but....

Hope that helps,
ERIC

www.gmtruckshow.com

Project "Andes"-Halen's First Truck

Project: Patina Burb

for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Romans 13:4
5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:44 AM   #4
vtblazer

The original way the fluid was pumped was by using a diaphragm that is built into the wiper motor itself, the rubber dries up/cracks and can not produce the necessary vacuum and therefore stops working.

Buy an in-line pump or find a reservoir (washer fluid tank) from a later model chevy with a built in pump and be done with it, as posted above, it'll work better anyway.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote