The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2007, 10:22 PM   #1
Duro5341

Parts Jobber - Rant

Hey guys.....

Ever get sick of your local jobber always screwing up your order...

The truck is a 86 K10...

Well I called my friend yesterday that owns a parts store, and we talked for about 20-25 minutes about what I needed. I am replacing the whole steering linkage on my truck, because the front draglink, and left outer are gone, and the rest is pretty siezed.........so i'll replace everything.

I have the style where there is a long hollow tube along the front of the axle, and 2 outer tie-rods thread into both ends, with a pinch nut at either end like newer tie-rods...and I specifically told him I was replacing everything. So he has one of his employee's drop it off on his way home from work, because it's on the way. I tell the guy to put them in the back of the truck, as I won't be home....so thats fine

I get home around 9:30pm, and look through the parts and he orders me the other solid style bar, that uses the adjusting sleeve between the 2 outer tie-rods, everything thing else is right....but he doesn't send the F^&king adjusting sleeve for the front tie-rod bar. And of course I am supposed to use the truck on sunday to go fishing. So know I have to call a million places first thing saturday morning, and hope to god someone has one in stock or I am screwed for the weekend.

I told him I was replacing everything, and just bill it to my credit card, and send it out.........I guess he figured I didn't need the adjusting sleeve....DAH

I am just sick of people doing this.....if you can't do your job right, then get out of it. I have no patience for peoples mistakes, this is what I am paying you for, so do it right the first time. Now I have to source out another part, because they got lazy, and hope to god it fits....or there's gunna be tools flying around the shop

God I hate how this always happens on a weekend, when half the stores are closed, or run by stupid highschool kids.....who have no idea what a tie-rod, let alone what a adjusting sleeve is.

Thanks for reading
Duro
-1979 Monte Carlo, 350, 200r4, 3.73 posi
-1987 GT T-top Mustang - slow moving project
Duro5341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:38 PM   #2
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Re: Parts Jobber - Rant

I feel your pain Duro, I NEVER go to a chain parts store without looking up my own parts/numbers first (on-line) then calling to verify if in stock before driving down.

I pulled the oldest trick in the book on a punk kid, Told him I needed a muffler bearing for my truck....And he fell for it
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:45 PM   #3
Duro5341

Aww the classic Muffler Bearing...nice. I love getting the new kids to do a computer scan(check engine light) on my truck. It takes them 45 minutes before they ask me where the OBDI connector is

This isn't a chain parts store.....I go to apprentice school with him, and he really only deals with shops....not much retail. And he's around 50 years old, so I know he knows his ****, and he was looking though the parts book as I was talking to him....so he knew what I was explaing, and could picture it....HELL he owns a 79 C10 for that matter, he baught it new...it's a one owner truck

So we'll see how it goes tommorrow morning I guess, or no final fishing trip of the season for me...being it's hovering about 10 degrees Celcuis now

Duro

Last edited by Duro5341; 11-04-2007 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:53 AM   #4
Mr79C10
It Is What It Is,,,,

WOW, and he's a friend too?
79 C-10 project
.........................__
..............._____ l __\___
..............|_(O)_ |___(O) ]
FAQ INDEX Thread
The Kulture
My Rat Den
Mr79C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:01 AM   #5
Duro5341

Ya so I was less than impressed. So I ordered the adjuster from another local Jobber, and i'll get it within the hour, so we'll see if it's right, or tools abe flying for sure

Duro
Old 11-05-2007, 12:43 PM   #6
crawdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duro5341 View Post
Ya so I was less than impressed. So I ordered the adjuster from another local Jobber, and i'll get it within the hour, so we'll see if it's right, or tools abe flying for sure

Duro
Is it all that much trouble for you to just go to the parts house yourself and get the item? At least that way you'll know if you have what you want.

2012 Silverado LT 1500, 5.3, 6 speed auto
'86 SWB C-10 Silverado
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:48 PM   #7
1974ChevyC10
Overworked and Underlaid

ok as a "parts jobber"i used to work for a parts store in arizona here for a year or so i have to chime in on this one.i hate the fact people automatically assume because were younger in age or have a computer to store our inventory were automatically stupid.we did use the books we were sent by our different suppliers for special orders and yes i was one of the ones in the store who knew how to read and use them.i also knew how to properly put them in our order system yes big surprise it was computerized makes for much more efficient tracking of orders and it made for better completion and turnaround of our orders.i worked with alot of younger people and some older folks too we had a good mix of people there and most of our customers were quite happy with the service provided.the biggest thing i hated was when someone came in and gave the wrong information for a vehicle we would give them the part listed based on the information they provided and there back because its the wrong part.big surprise huh.we can only work with what you tell us about your vehicle i dont know what you drive by looking at you nor do i know what is in your vehicle i can tell you what is in my vehicle but without owning yours i cant begin to tell you whats in it since depending on what year it is it could have untold number of motor swaps,tranny swaps,rear end swaps and other types of parts swaps over the years plus lets not get into the mix gumbo of weird factory parts swapping that has happened over the years with parts from one year put on another vehicle.what im saying is try to see the fact that the person you think to be a dumb**** may just be trying to put themselves through school,may be trying to feed a family or take care of a certain obligation or may be just simply using it as a second job to help get by so be easy on them there people just like you and me

The Beast-1978 C10 LWB

Red-1978 C10 LWB

(Uncle Mike)Michael Henry Millett 11/5/1957 to 03/08/2012
Gone but will never be forgotten-RIP

(Uncle Chuck)Charles Manning Gulbronsen Sr 1956-2012
Taken from us to soon but you will live on in our hearts-RIP
1974ChevyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:14 PM   #8
cjracing15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1974ChevyC10 View Post
ok as a "parts jobber"i used to work for a parts store in arizona here for a year or so i have to chime in on this one.i hate the fact people automatically assume because were younger in age or have a computer to store our inventory were automatically stupid.we did use the books we were sent by our different suppliers for special orders and yes i was one of the ones in the store who knew how to read and use them.i also knew how to properly put them in our order system yes big surprise it was computerized makes for much more efficient tracking of orders and it made for better completion and turnaround of our orders.i worked with alot of younger people and some older folks too we had a good mix of people there and most of our customers were quite happy with the service provided.the biggest thing i hated was when someone came in and gave the wrong information for a vehicle we would give them the part listed based on the information they provided and there back because its the wrong part.big surprise huh.we can only work with what you tell us about your vehicle i dont know what you drive by looking at you nor do i know what is in your vehicle i can tell you what is in my vehicle but without owning yours i cant begin to tell you whats in it since depending on what year it is it could have untold number of motor swaps,tranny swaps,rear end swaps and other types of parts swaps over the years plus lets not get into the mix gumbo of weird factory parts swapping that has happened over the years with parts from one year put on another vehicle.what im saying is try to see the fact that the person you think to be a dumb**** may just be trying to put themselves through school,may be trying to feed a family or take care of a certain obligation or may be just simply using it as a second job to help get by so be easy on them there people just like you and me
I agree man. I worked at a chain store to get thru school. What I hated was when a customer would come in and want you to read there mind.

Last edited by cjracing15; 11-05-2007 at 07:19 PM.
cjracing15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:31 PM   #9
WLPTMP

i just had that problem with a customer tells me he wants the thing that runs the 4 wheel drive on a chevy.so being a wise ass i said sure its a $100 oh well then he's like "howed you know what i need?". he next tells me the application and what part he needs. half hour later he comes back with the part and a big attitude. says he needs the part that bolts the transmission that runs the 4wd after about 20 minutes of trying to decifer what he needs we convince him to let our shop work on it. he comes the next day our tech finds the problem it was bad vacum hose. all this time spent because of bad backyard buddy diagnoses.
WLPTMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:24 PM   #10
78chev

Dude, you need a nap.
No, I'm just kidding. I understand your frustration. We've all dealt with this kind of thing.
There are a lot of 73-87 experts on this board and still it's hard sometimes to figure out a specific part # or repair protocol.
78chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:57 PM   #11
Duro5341

Quote:

I didn't mean all highschool kids in general, there are a few good apples.....but it only takes one to spoil the bunch. This is the way the world works.......everything is stereo typed. I am a Mechanic Apprentise, so automatically I am an asshole, just out to screw old people, and young blond girls out of all there money.

I know the guy personally, and showed him 2 days prior what I was doing, and told him I would call and order all the parts.......he also has personally worked on my truck, so he know it inside, and out. Second of all I told him I was replacing everything from the pitman arm, to the steering knuckles, all the parts inbetween. I believe the steering arm adjuster falls between these two parts. And he personally owns a mint 79 C10, and his father, uncle, and Grandfather have always owned GM 4X4's....from the 50's up. So he knows what parts are needed.

I am not asking the jobber to read my mind, I am asking him to do his job. I would rather him ask me 50-200 questions, and send the right part...then assume that it's right, and have it be wrong. He may be right 80% of the time, but it's that 20% that make the difference, and bad news passes ears faster than good news. People will tell there friends when someone screwed up, but never when the job was done perfectly.

Anyways the local jobber had the peice, unfortunetly I had to settle for an economy brand adjuster (an adjuster is an adjuster right, hunk of split steel with 2 clamps). So everything went smoothly, and the alignment was a breeze, it's nice to be able to adjust everything by hand for once, and not have to get the torch out.

Didn't mean to step on toes, but I was just venting.

Thanks
Duro
Old 11-05-2007, 10:08 PM   #12
cjracing15

Quote:
I didn't mean all highschool kids in general, there are a few good apples.....but it only takes one to spoil the bunch. This is the way the world works.......everything is stereo typed. I am a Mechanic Apprentise, so automatically I am an asshole, just out to screw old people, and young blond girls out of all there money.

I know the guy personally, and showed him 2 days prior what I was doing, and told him I would call and order all the parts.......he also has personally worked on my truck, so he know it inside, and out. Second of all I told him I was replacing everything from the pitman arm, to the steering knuckles, all the parts inbetween. I believe the steering arm adjuster falls between these two parts. And he personally owns a mint 79 C10, and his father, uncle, and Grandfather have always owned GM 4X4's....from the 50's up. So he knows what parts are needed.

I am not asking the jobber to read my mind, I am asking him to do his job. I would rather him ask me 50-200 questions, and send the right part...then assume that it's right, and have it be wrong. He may be right 80% of the time, but it's that 20% that make the difference, and bad news passes ears faster than good news. People will tell there friends when someone screwed up, but never when the job was done perfectly.

Anyways the local jobber had the peice, unfortunetly I had to settle for an economy brand adjuster (an adjuster is an adjuster right, hunk of split steel with 2 clamps). So everything went smoothly, and the alignment was a breeze, it's nice to be able to adjust everything by hand for once, and not have to get the torch out.

Didn't mean to step on toes, but I was just venting.

Thanks
Duro
You didn't step on my toes so much BUT you need to realize that in the future that even in the BOOKS (yes I did use them when I worked there) is that they do not have a a total thear down on every car made. What they have is parts books with part #'s. ,and after wating on other customers as they walk in that he may not remeber every part on one certain front end . I would suggest in the future to list the indivdual parts you need for the job you are about to do. Belive me when I say I can see where you are comming from, but my point is just walk a few steps in the other guys shoes. This is just my two cents. later
cjracing15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:33 PM   #13
bigtruck81

Quote:
its painfully obvious you've never worked behind a parts counter before.
a) most customers are idiots. they cant tell you the difference between a C10 and a K30.
b)have you ever read an honest to god parts catalog? between different GVWRs, different suspension options, and even wheelbases there are differences in chassis components.

those "50-200" questions are to verify that you know what you have, and to differentiate between different listings in the parts catalog. without them, you will undoubtedly get the wrong part.
bigtruck81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:06 PM   #14
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

"I told him I was replacing everything, and just bill it to my credit card"
You know what they say when you "ASSUME" anything
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 07:53 AM   #15
chevymotocross

Quote:
I totally agree with you and can relate. I've worked at a Pepboys (ughhh yes a pepboys), for 6 months. I'm only 19, but I was able to cross-reference parts the retail manager couldn't even do, and I was able to figure out things, on my own, without looking at a computer and saying "uhh it's not in the system so we probably don't have it". One of the things I really hated at a parts store, was the fact that some customers.... didn't know anything about their car. I've had customers not know the year, model, or even the color of their car! I also hated when some moron would walk in, asking you how to put a transmission, or something bizarre, in their car. Sorry, I have a good knowledge about cars, but don't ask me how to perform services like this, I am 19, getting paid $9/hr, I don't have to stand here and waste time with you, go to a service center. I also have seen fellow dumb*** employees constantly giving people the wrong parts. They don't take the time to see that brake pads for some cars with a 4 cyl, are different to the same car with a 6 cyl. I can understand a customer's frustration with workers being lazy. I have since left pep boys because the management was by far, the worst I have ever experienced, both from an employee and customer view.

Last edited by chevymotocross; 11-06-2007 at 07:59 AM.
chevymotocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:50 AM   #16
1974ChevyC10
Overworked and Underlaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracing15
I agree man. I worked at a chain store to get thru school. What I hated was when a customer would come in and want you to read there mind.
i know the feeling it used to drive me nuts when customers would expect me to read there minds

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymotocross View Post
I totally agree with you and can relate. I've worked at a Pepboys (ughhh yes a pepboys), for 6 months. I'm only 19, but I was able to cross-reference parts the retail manager couldn't even do, and I was able to figure out things, on my own, without looking at a computer and saying "uhh it's not in the system so we probably don't have it". One of the things I really hated at a parts store, was the fact that some customers.... didn't know anything about their car. I've had customers not know the year, model, or even the color of their car! I also hated when some moron would walk in, asking you how to put a transmission, or something bizarre, in their car. Sorry, I have a good knowledge about cars, but don't ask me how to perform services like this, I am 19, getting paid $9/hr, I don't have to stand here and waste time with you, go to a service center. I also have seen fellow dumb*** employees constantly giving people the wrong parts. They don't take the time to see that brake pads for some cars with a 4 cyl, are different to the same car with a 6 cyl. I can understand a customer's frustration with workers being lazy. I have since left pep boys because the management was by far, the worst I have ever experienced, both from an employee and customer view.
i too was one of the better employees at the store i worked at and if there wasnt a management issue with me wanting to transfer stores i would still be working there.i worked with quite a few lazy employees who wouldnt take the time to get the customer the right part or ask the right questions in doing so.i also hated dealing with idiotic customers who couldnt even tell you the name of the car there driving let alone the year or anything in it then they expect you simply because your a parts guy to know what there driving.its happened to me before.i also hated when people would come in wanting to know how to install certain parts i would point them in the direction of a nearby mechanic and have em go to talk to one of them.i too have a pretty good knowledge of cars but only getting paid 8 an hour i dont time to sit and explain all of this you at times.

oh yeah duro i didnt mean to step on your toes and i hope you didnt take my thoughts personally this is just a little bit of a sore subject with me from past expieriences

The Beast-1978 C10 LWB

Red-1978 C10 LWB

(Uncle Mike)Michael Henry Millett 11/5/1957 to 03/08/2012
Gone but will never be forgotten-RIP

(Uncle Chuck)Charles Manning Gulbronsen Sr 1956-2012
Taken from us to soon but you will live on in our hearts-RIP
1974ChevyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:57 AM   #17
68GMC454
THE VILLIAGE IDIOT

i undrstand this from both sides, never worked for a parts store yet though.. my problem is when you go in and you get somebody male or female, that has never worked on a car or truck, and even with the puter and books, have no idea what you talking about... and where i live, trying to buy parts for a 454 is not happening, i have to go to one store and get them to call the stores in salt lake city to see if they have what im looking for... and if the factory put the part on there, couldnt the idoits who write the books, put the part you need in the book so they can find it...
Old 11-10-2007, 10:44 AM   #18
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Try buying parts for a hotrod at an auto parts store. I can't get most of the counter guys to understand the idea of an engine swap into a '37 Chevy. They still want to look everything up by application, and refuse to believe that telling them the type of car I have won't help. It can be very frustrating...

BTW, two of the best parts people I have come across in past few years have been a woman and a high school kid. Neither of them work there any more, and I miss them both.

Slonaker
Old 11-10-2007, 10:06 PM   #19
wicked_sky_gazer
Living Legend

i have a couple of darwin winers for you on these... the first was at the local autozone... my little sister goes into get a new battery for her 87 thunderbird (ugh yes a ford... her taist buds just havent developed yet) so anyway she buys her battery and the kid offers to put it in for her for free as she had no idea what she was doing... apperently he didnt either, he put the battery in and went to start the car and blew the fill caps off of the bran new battery. after realizing the brilliance of the "parts Jobber" my sister called me for help and when i got there and saw what he had done i knew imediately the problem... he bad cut all the auxiliary grounds (totalling around 4) off the negitive side of the battery and spliced them to the positive side, knowing that what some of them went to and the danger of this i imediately walked into the store and got both the kid and his boss and brought them out and explained to the lil punk why the battery did what it did, and then to both him and his boss the dangers of putting things the way they were... as in the process of this caused the starter relay in the steering colum to fry.. needless to say the kid lost his job on the spot... im not mean just ... just dont be ....

second...
along the lines of the hotrodder, i tried to buy a air filter for my truck wich is far from factory in the engine compartment, i walk in and tell him exactly what i need 14.5diameter X 3.5tall air filter, he proceeds to ask what its for after i tell him he wont be able to find the propper one like that, so to amuse him i answere all his questions, and he brings back a 12 x5.5 filter and i laugh at him so then he, makes the briliant remark "oh the motor isnt factory" so i tell him that the motor is out of a '94 (tbi) he punches it up and brings me a square one (while he has my old one sitting infront of him) so finally i tell him ill look myself as i am going to be late to where i am going, i find what i need and bring it back and he claims that its the wrong one.... so being that smart guy that i am i place a friendly wager with him for the cost of the filter, and sure enough it fit so his maniger and some fellow coworkers that had gathered in the ordeal held him to his end of he deal and i got my filter after around 35min of arguing.

Im not to worried i have an uncaning ability to save myself from some weeeiiirrd crap
East Ok meet East Ok date

Tony
wicked_sky_gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:45 PM   #20
abebummy26

LMAO this reminds me of going to Valvoline the other day. To get my oil changed the kid told me Conventional oil was designed for carburetted (sp) and I had to use synthetic lmao. Oops I forgot to mention this was in a car with EFI

1987 GMC S15 (soon to be a chevy clone)
2.5l, 4 speed, no ps, no pb, no ac

Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Spoken by Cletus the hillbilly
I like stickers... a whole bunch.

Last edited by abebummy26; 11-10-2007 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Not enough Info
abebummy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:50 PM   #21
wicked_sky_gazer
Living Legend

ROFLMAO... i would have told him to check my muffler bearrings and blinker fluid while he was at it after that.

Im not to worried i have an uncaning ability to save myself from some weeeiiirrd crap
East Ok meet East Ok date

Tony
wicked_sky_gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:19 PM   #22
RUST

I have been in the parts bussiness for over 10 years. I have worked with people who don't know the difference between a starter and a alternator and I have worked with ones who can spit out part numbers like they live, sleep, and eat parts. ALL OF THEM HAVE MADE MISTAKES.

Last edited by RUST; 11-13-2007 at 10:59 AM. Reason: add a word
RUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:42 PM   #23
bigtruck81

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUST View Post
I have been in the parts bussiness for over 10 years. I have worked with people who don't know the difference between a starter and a alternator and I have worked with ones who can spit out part numbers like live, sleep, and eat parts. ALL OF THEM HAVE MADE MISTAKES.
best part guy i know ordered not one, but two GM 88-98 bedsides for a stepside, when he needed a fleetside. it wasnt until i checked the order and saw the same number ordered a third time that we looked further into it. the way the GM catalog is written (the computer catalog, not the paper) it appears that the stepside is the correct bedside called for in a fleetside application. same guy that taught me everything i know about parts, in the 2 1/2 years i worked for him at the local dealership. between the two of us, we averaged $400K a MONTH in sales.

on another note, for those of you who have worked a counter before... does anybody else have parts guy dyslexia? i can rattle off phone numbers, account numbers, social security numbers, whatever all day long... give me a part number, and i transpose something in 1 out of 5 of them.
bigtruck81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:58 AM   #24
RUST

I think it's one of the side effects of the job!
RUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:33 AM   #25
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Let's really home in on the issue here. It is the owner/manager of the parts store, that has the responsibility to provide QUALITY service. It is within that thought process, that he should work to either train or hire those that are capable of (1) working with the public and (2) know how to find parts items in the computer and the books. It is his and his business's reputation that is on the line; so he should have a plan to acheive that level of expertise in his company. Where I live, there are both types of companies available....there are a couple that I won't set foot in their doors and then there are the ones that can help you out on even a BAD day.

The first part of this discussion centered on one of the things that my company talks about DAILY---"Communication". It appears that you provided communication to the parts guy (your friend) and then he gave you what he perceived to be needed. Now that goes back to a couple things---DID YOU get feedback from him what he was to get you? (We call that a REPEATBACK communication and I am now getting that from a lot of companies such as Summit Racing when you place an order---Good Thing in my book) Did you let him know EXACTLY what it was you needed part by part.

Could you have driven to his place of business and dealt more DIRECTLY with him and insure success of your communication? The telephone and E-mail is our downfall of the times. I am not criticizing anyone here--it is just what our patterns have fallen to and we are following along blindly--since we do not realize that we are in the middle of it. Within my place of business, it has taken us 3 years to make a major change in JUST our communication process and it does help, the public will take a millenium.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote