The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2007, 09:53 AM   #1
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Classic Trucks Magazine

Does anyone have subscription to Classic Trucks Magazine? I've been buying it for years and my wife bought me a subscriptuion for Fathers Day this year. I just received my January issue and was expecting to get the calender that has been included with the January issue for the last few years. The calender wasn't included so I thought they must have stopped it this year. The other night I see the magazine on the rack in the local drug store and the magazine is in a plastic bag with the calender. This seems wrong to me and I want to write them at Primedia about this but want to make sure it isn't just a Canadian thing. Is that the way it is in the USA if you have subscription to Classic Trucks. Now that I 'm thinking of it, I also pick up Custom Classic Trucks Magazine ( same publisher) and it usually has calender too with the January issue. Do they do the same with the subscribers too?

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:00 AM   #2
soba_03

Re: Classic Trucks Magazine

I just read the Nov issue and in the Editors page on the left side he tell you that they have removed some of the pictures of the ladies form the magazine because of readers complaints.

I just read that yesterday. So that could very well explain why it's behind the counter in plastic.

Regards!!
soba_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:10 AM   #3
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
Does anyone have subscription to Classic Trucks Magazine? I've been buying it for years and my wife bought me a subscriptuion for Fathers Day this year. I just received my January issue and was expecting to get the calender that has been included with the January issue for the last few years. The calender wasn't included so I thought they must have stopped it this year. The other night I see the magazine on the rack in the local drug store and the magazine is in a plastic bag with the calender. This seems wrong to me and I want to write them at Primedia about this but want to make sure it isn't just a Canadian thing. Is that the way it is in the USA if you have subscription to Classic Trucks. Now that I 'm thinking of it, I also pick up Custom Classic Trucks Magazine ( same publisher) and it usually has calender too with the January issue. Do they do the same with the subscribers too?

You're not crazy. Same thing happened last year. No calendar but I saw it in the store with a calendar. I've had a suscription to both for 3 or 4 years now. I just got the new issue and no calendar in there either.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:11 AM   #4
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by soba_03 View Post
I just read the Nov issue and in the Editors page on the left side he tell you that they have removed some of the pictures of the ladies form the magazine because of readers complaints.

I just read that yesterday. So that could very well explain why it's behind the counter in plastic.

Regards!!
I think what he was referring to was the "ads for men" that they started running a few months ago for more $$$.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:16 AM   #5
jkaylor68gmc

Buy a subscription to TRUCK BUILDER, thats what I would do, ha-ha lol.
2002 Chevrolet Silverado 7-inch lift on 35 Daily driver
2016 Chevy Tahoe Better halves ride
jkaylor68gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:29 AM   #6
72Levi

I will not be renewing my subscription to Classic Trucks, no more calendar and not enough 67-72 Chevy trucks pics or articles.
2008 Buick Enclave AWD, Nav, & DVD, Wife LOVES it!
72Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:47 AM   #7
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Thanks for the info guys. I will be sending the editor an email about this. You'd think that they would to keep their subscribers happy cause that is what they can base their advertising rates on. The other thing that surprises me is that I've seen Brothers and like this year LMC Truck sponsor the calender and I'm sure they pay pretty good money to sponsor the calender so they would definatley want the subscribers to get the calender so everytime they look at it not only do they see the date they also see an ad from the sponsor.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

Old 11-21-2007, 10:57 AM   #8
70C10Step

I got a calendar in the one off the news stand... Yes it was in plastic... I can pick you one up if you want...
1969 C20 3/4 Longbed - Beast!
1966 Mustang Fastback - Daily Fun
1965 Mustang Fastback - Money pit!

Last edited by 70C10Step; 11-21-2007 at 10:58 AM.
70C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:48 AM   #9
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

All magazines have started doing this in the past few years. They do not put the posters, calendars, etc in the subscribers magazines. They only put them in the newsstand issues. This is to encourage new customers. Since the subscribers are getting a discount they don't get the extras.

There was a time that I subscribed to 10+ different automotive publications. Currently I subscribe to 1. That's only because it was too cheap to pass up.

If I give you my money in advance I feel I should be getting the perks of a loyal customer. Instead they choose to give the bonus features to the schmo that only buys once in a while.

Guess what oh smart bean counters. You lost my consistent income, and now I read them on the newsstands and only buy when it looks good. Yes, I pay full price, but does that offset when I don't buy for 2-3 months?

As you might be able to guess, I have brought this to the attention of the magazine editors. Unfortunately they have absolutely no say in the matter. Almost every magazine out there has been devoured by the huge publishing conglomerates. They could care less about their customers. Their only concern is profit percentages.

And yes, I am very fricken bitter.....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 11-21-2007 at 11:49 AM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:53 AM   #10
cowboymike51

the reason they dont put the calinder in with the subsription magazine is becuase you pay more at the store than you do with a subscription. so they put more stuff in with the newstand version. i had the same problem with peterson 4wheel and offroad, so i ask the editor and that is what he told me. so what i do is keep my subscription so i know i get it evermonth, then i just check my local newstands to see what goodies they come with, and if they have anything cool i buy it take the goodies and keep the second copy in my shop.
cowboymike51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:53 AM   #11
jkaylor68gmc

N2Trux, I agree with you there. We actually included posters in both but over the past two years we have not done the posters due to costs. It is very expensive. Yo give you an estimate, it usually costs an advertiser $4,000 per month per page. Calanders, posters, ie are very expensive. We all have seen a real crunch the past 16 months as the industry as a whole is cutting back in advertising.
2002 Chevrolet Silverado 7-inch lift on 35 Daily driver
2016 Chevy Tahoe Better halves ride
jkaylor68gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:13 PM   #12
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
All magazines have started doing this in the past few years. They do not put the posters, calendars, etc in the subscribers magazines. They only put them in the newsstand issues. This is to encourage new customers. Since the subscribers are getting a discount they don't get the extras.

There was a time that I subscribed to 10+ different automotive publications. Currently I subscribe to 1. That's only because it was too cheap to pass up.

If I give you my money in advance I feel I should be getting the perks of a loyal customer. Instead they choose to give the bonus features to the schmo that only buys once in a while.

Guess what oh smart bean counters. You lost my consistent income, and now I read them on the newsstands and only buy when it looks good. Yes, I pay full price, but does that offset when I don't buy for 2-3 months?

As you might be able to guess, I have brought this to the attention of the magazine editors. Unfortunately they have absolutely no say in the matter. Almost every magazine out there has been devoured by the huge publishing conglomerates. They could care less about their customers. Their only concern is profit percentages.

And yes, I am very fricken bitter.....

I agree with what you are saying and appreciate your input. I think a lot of the time corporate America is penny wise and pound foolish. I realize it may cost a little more to ship the calender and maybe a buck or two more in publishing costs to produce the calender even with a big sponsor. Seeing Classic Trucks is a niche magazine dont you agree us gearheads would subscribe to it whether it was 12.00 a year or 16.00 per year and we'd be happy and probably subscribe forever. This has me so ticked I will not and wont let my wife renew my subscription to Classic Trucks when it renews this year.

Last edited by Already Gone; 11-21-2007 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:18 PM   #13
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Now I feel bad that I tossed my calender out. Only had a couple trucks I liked and its mostly a big advertisement anyway.

I also dont stubscribe to any automotive mags anymore. Look at em on the rack and buy em if I like what I see. Forced to buy the sealed one with the extra crap in em cause then my curiosity gets the better of me =)
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 12:24 PM   #14
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I've been thinking and I guess the only way to get Primedias attention is hit them where it hurts. This board has 20,000+ members and I'll bet a lot of them are subscribers to Classic Trucks and Custom Classic Trucks. If all of us who subscribe to Classic Trucks send the editor Rob Fortier an email at
rob.fortier@primedia.com telling him you wont be renewing your subscription to Classic Trucks the beancounters might listen and start including the calender if a few hundred of us tell them we wont be renewing our subscription. The editor of Custom Classic trucks is John Gilbert and I'm assuming his email will be john.gilbert@primedia.com.

Last edited by Already Gone; 11-21-2007 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:17 PM   #15
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

Can sombody pic me up one? That's one item I can't get over here, I have the subscription but I can't get to the stand to get the one with the calender. Let me know and how I can pay you.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:59 PM   #16
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

i'm heading to wal mart tonight and will see if they have them there. if so, i'll grab two and send you one.
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:26 PM   #17
Texasdeere

Sorry about the calendar thing. There are too many custom trucks and air bag articles for me to re-new Classic Truck.
Texasdeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:49 PM   #18
soba_03

Ok you may be right about the men's ad's. I have been corrected. Sorry for the bad info. But it started a heck of a discussion.

As for a calander, where are the most 67-72 trucks? There is already plenty of tee shirts and such here has there ever been any thought to making your own calander? You certainly have enough trucks, suburbans, and blazers to create a calander and I'm sure that some one has to have the right connections to find out.

Additionally most folks already have some great photos of their trucks just look at the photo thread.

Just my .02 here.

Regards!!
Old 11-21-2007, 02:50 PM   #19
crzngmychvy
"1972 C5"

It was supposed to have a calendar!?
Old 11-21-2007, 02:53 PM   #20
soba_03

You know I was thinking after that last post, there are some great complete trucks. But there are some wonderful "in work" trucks. You could do a calander of each one with completed trucks and one with daily driver or "in work " trucks even a Build calander. Something where it's a fresh eng rebuild sitting on a set of frame rails with nothing but a black primered cab on a nice set of 20" chrome rims... possibilities are endless.....

Regards!!
Old 11-21-2007, 04:35 PM   #21
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasC10 View Post
Sorry about the calendar thing. There are too many custom trucks and air bag articles for me to re-new Classic Truck.
Makes sense considering that is what's extremely popular right now.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:19 PM   #22
Ackattack

A few years back I went on Hot Rod Power Tour. A few months later I was at Wally world looking through the magazines (waiting on the wife) and I saw my car in there! I was like, cool! Then when I got my issue in the mail....no car pics. Apparently my car was in one of these special inserts that subscribers didn't get.

And hell yeah I went and bought the newstand issue!
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:49 PM   #23
bowtieboy93

they dont include it in subscriptions due to the loss of money and this may be now incorrect because i was reading one of the newer issues of truckin' (which is also owned by primedia) and primedia has just been bought by another company so somethings may change
1991 GMC Sonoma, IROCS s10 grill
1963 Ford Galaxie 351/C4
bowtieboy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:08 PM   #24
watahyahknow

we over in the netherlands only have hot rod magazine in the newsstands so if i want more magazines im forced to either go and get it in the states (wish at 700 buck for a back and forth airplaneticket is a bit over the top ) or get a subscription .

i will go to he states in march and see wish magazines are available and perhabs i subscibe to a couple more

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts

Last edited by watahyahknow; 11-21-2007 at 06:09 PM.
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:26 PM   #25
corn

You can send all the emails you want. Rob has been through this before (read all about it in my sub) & he cant really do anything about it. Pretty sure its a "higher up" deal on the companies level. Although I feel the same about the calendar deal, Rob's a good guy...
corn is offline   Reply With Quote