The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2007, 09:38 AM   #1
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Question Put my top back on Sunday, question though

Put the double wall top back on my 70 K5 on Sunday. The bolt that goes through the visor into the top won't tighten down - the nut inside the top appears to be just spinning. It's doing this on both the driver's and passenger side.

Any suggestions on a fix to this problem? I tried to put some pressure on the bolt to the side and also tried to hold it down to see if I could get the nut to stop spinning, but no luck.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 10:28 AM   #2
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Re: Put my top back on Sunday, question though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Jack View Post
Put the double wall top back on my 70 K5 on Sunday. The bolt that goes through the visor into the top won't tighten down - the nut inside the top appears to be just spinning. It's doing this on both the driver's and passenger side.

Any suggestions on a fix to this problem? I tried to put some pressure on the bolt to the side and also tried to hold it down to see if I could get the nut to stop spinning, but no luck.
Bad news. I had one do that in my Jimmy before we painted it. What happens is the blind nuts work loose inside their enclosures in the windshield frame. You will really need to cut them out and replace them...
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 04:58 PM   #3
vtblazer

One of my tops did that and the cure I found was an air gun, attach an air gun and just quickly pull the trigger again and again...

The sudden twist will eventually tighten the nut but next year, you'll need to do the reverse to get them loose.

The other option is simply don't install the bolts, I'm currently running a top that way and for around town I can't honestly tell any difference.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 09:42 AM   #4
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Thanks, guys. I'm presently doing what you said Vtblazer, running it without. Heck when I took of the top this spring I found the PO had it attached with just one bolt at the back of the top and the two visor bolts and one of the other windshield attachment points. Sure made taking the top off a quick affair. I'll give the air gun approach a try, but I'm not going to worry if it doesn't work.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote