The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2002, 10:28 PM   #1
BUXMAN66
go bucks!

pwr. steer. gear box interchangeability?

you guys know what years of p/s boxes fit my '68? i've heard many different things but i'd like to hear someone that has one on thier truck that didn't have to wallop the crap outta thier frame to get one to fit CORRECTLY!(and it is a 2wd)thanks.
'96 gmc sonoma sle ext-cab. hey it's a 4cyl. 5 spd and good on gas y'know?
BUXMAN66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 10:57 PM   #2
toms68cst

Your 68 SHOULD have the indentation. Mine did. Any gear box from 68-87? should work. If you don't have the indentation your options are to bang one in or look for the earlier power-assist style set up. The only thing I had to do is notch my DS bumper bracket a little to clear the larger box.

I heard of some folks shimming them out from the frame but wouldn't that effect the alignment of the rag-joint leading to possible early failure?

TREASURER, Drum Brake Club.
toms68cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 11:05 PM   #3
Johns70

you can space it out with a washer or two so you don't have to bang on the frame.use grade 8 hardware!
Old 10-13-2002, 11:59 PM   #4
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

Well this is a subject that is fresh in my mind.... As to the 68 frames having the indentations, some do and some don't, it just depends on when your truck was built. I just finished this conversion on my 67. My experience was... Yes you can shim the power steering gear out a little to make up for the lack of an indentation in the side of the frame and no it won't cause any premature wear on the rag joint. Buuuuuttttttt there is a problem that I havn't seen disgussed on this board before and it is the fact that the power steering gear is setting about 1/4" further to the left than it was designed to set. The first problem that arrises is it turns to the left sharper than it turns to the right.. I know, it's not a big deal!! However that is not the biggest problem that this conversion creates. The biggest problem that happens is, the steering gear will no longer set in the nutral possition. ( the possition that it was designed to set at when the truck is going down the road strait) The steering gears are designed to have a little play there, so your truck doesn't react to every little twich your hand or arm makes while you are driving down the road. Your truck's new power steering will be suuuuuuper sencitive and it was my experience that at freeway speeds it didn't feel safe. Now that's a big deal in my opinion!!! I heated my frame in the spot and pounded the indentation in the side of the frame, remounted the same power steering gear and WOW what a difference!!! I will never do the power steering gear conversion without denting the frame for the steering gear again!! It makes that much difference..... If your frame is not indented for the powersteering gear, then if I were you I would indent it so you don't have to shim the power steering gear out. WES www.ClassicHeartbeat.com
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 12:55 AM   #5
dmnall

Like stated above, some 68, 69 - 87 PS Boxes will work but then there is something that a lot of people are forgetting to tell you, try to get one off of 79 and older for a couple of reasons. 1. 68 - 79 or 80 they had the Flared Fittings.. in 80 or 81, Gm went to a Metric Style PS Box that had O-Ring Fittings, so you would have to have special hoses made mainly for the Pressure Line!! The Return line, you would have to either use the Fitting for pump or buy another steel line w/ the correct fitting on it!! I am not trying to scare you but when I bought my PS Box from a junk yard they gave me an 81 C10, and luckily, I had forgotten about a 79 my dad and I cut up because I just used the 79 PS box and I still have the 81 as a Back up !!
2008 Honda Civic Si *lease*
dmnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 01:10 AM   #6
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Im runnin an 84 burb box on the longhorn, & it wasnt to bad a swap as I already had the later waterpump/pulleys/brackets/steering pump. I just used the hoses for the burb, & changed the fitting in the pump. i agree its better to use a box that the stock hoses will fit, but im a "run what you find" for the right price kind of guy! I parted out a free for the haulin burb, & got a closer ratio box on the longhorn.....the new hoses didnt hurt too bad
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 06:18 AM   #7
Tim Christian

Smile

I shimmed mine out but made actual spacers(did not use washers) I beleive 180 thousand was all I had to go(it is best to keep this to a minimum) I had also rebuilt the fronend had it realined. It tracks prefectly straight and drives like a new one. I beleive the trick is to keep your spacer to the bear minimum and make sure your frontend is not worn out to begin with.
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 09:21 AM   #8
crazy longhorn

Wes brought up something that i hadnt run into, or thought about, as my truck is a 69. That box does need to be centered or in neutral position when driving straight! If the box was set to neutral position during alignment(by changing the lenghts of the tierods) while setting toe.......would that solve the problem that the shims created? Im not a front end alignment man.......just a "crazy old coot" thinking outloud.......now me brain hurts cause i had to think!

Last edited by crazy longhorn; 10-14-2002 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-14-2002, 09:44 AM   #9
racedvl
Account Suspended

I installed a 79 box on my 69, and have no problems. I did have to notch the bumper bracket a little though. And man talk about a cheapie person, I just reused the hoses from that 79 suburban.
racedvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 05:09 PM   #10
Earl Junior
Cadillac power

Wes-

I'm about to do a manual to power conversion on a '68 C10. Will it be readily apparent if my frame has the notch? And I don't really understand if the notch is to allow clearance for the rag joint or the gear assembly itself.

Can you clarify a bit?

It would be really helpful if you had before and after pictures of the indentaion.

Thanks!
Just for the record, if I'm down to my last potato, I'm not sharing it with a guy who wants to kill me so he can get a better supply of virgins in paradise. That lesson is a little thing I call Economics 101, infidel style.

--Scott Adams author of Dilbert
Earl Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 06:07 PM   #11
crazy longhorn

Earl, the indent will be clearly visible when you pull the steering box, or just look at the top of the rail about midway on the box mounting points. the clearance is made for the box itself.......crazy AL
Old 10-28-2002, 06:22 PM   #12
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

This picture hopefully gives you an idea of where the indentation is and what it is for. Look in the blue box, you can see where the frame goes in a little for the box to clear.
Attached Images

1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 06:24 PM   #13
Earl Junior
Cadillac power

Thanks you guys!

I honestly don't know how I managed before I found this site.
Just for the record, if I'm down to my last potato, I'm not sharing it with a guy who wants to kill me so he can get a better supply of virgins in paradise. That lesson is a little thing I call Economics 101, infidel style.

--Scott Adams author of Dilbert
Earl Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 01:42 PM   #14
Rod

Longhornmail posted this pic a while back... boy -oh- boy does that search function work good... you should all try it some time...lol. I believe this pic is of a 4x4 frame steering box dimple area

Attached Images

72 Chev 1 ton tow truck 402BB w/Holmes 440 wrecker on propane
2005 FLSTSCI Harley Springer
85 FXSB Harley Lowrider
72 Triumph 650 Bonneville 5spd
"Poor people don't have hobbies" Quote from wife.
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 03:08 PM   #15
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

Don't shim it out too much!!!! I shimmed mine out, but can't remember how much (maybe a couple washers). Anyway, by doing that, the steering shaft put pressure on the lower steering column bearing. Eventually the bearing gave out and the shaft started rubbing on the bearing race. Then one day, I was getting off the highway and stopped at the light at the end of the on ramp. When the light turned green, I started to make a left turn, and the steering shaft broke!! Luckily there were no cars next to me and I was able to pull to the side of the road and call a tow truck. And luckily it didn't break while I was on the highway! As the shaft rubbed against the bearing race, it scored it just enough that it snapped (like how glass is cut). So BE CAREFUL of you this!!!! (by the way, it was the older style steering column with the one-piece shaft)