The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2008, 04:54 AM   #1
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

My weekend project

I'll let the pics do most of the talking. This was as easy as pie- maybe easier- I don't even know how to make pie Everything was a bolt-on. The only pain in the neck part were the (&@$#()@& RIVETS!!!
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy

Last edited by gringoloco; 03-05-2008 at 05:04 AM.
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:24 AM   #2
paaw

Re: My weekend project

Nice job, wish i could get that much done in a weekend, is that a reqular blazer tank
1997 pontiac grand prix gt (daily driver) for now; 2004 dodge ram quad cab (wife's truck) 4.7; 2000 pontiac booneville (wife daily driver) 1972 chevy cheyenne 350 bored 40 over 700r trans 373 gears ( posi) soon to be daily driver; 2002 gsxr750 sold
paaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:32 AM   #3
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaw View Post
Nice job, wish i could get that much done in a weekend, is that a reqular blazer tank
Thanks! Yep. Poly Blazer replacement tank. Bolts right in like it was meant to be...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
Old 03-05-2008, 05:36 AM   #4
pissonNOS

quick question about your notch, first off where did you get it CPP seems to be the cheapest ive found yet, and secondly seeing as you had a chance to look at this would it still be structurally sound if the part where the airbag bolts go thru was cut off?
Old 03-05-2008, 06:40 AM   #5
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

I see alot of nice parts there. How hard was it to locate the trailing arm crossmember? Did you us a stock one or the ECE version? Is this one getting the dropmember also? Again,... nice work.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:49 AM   #6
Frizzle Fry

You love those trailing arm conversions
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:04 AM   #7
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
I see alot of nice parts there. How hard was it to locate the trailing arm crossmember? Did you us a stock one or the ECE version? Is this one getting the dropmember also? Again,... nice work.
the trailing arm forward mounts will bolt right up to the center X member. no holes to drill or anything.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:13 AM   #8
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pissonNOS View Post
quick question about your notch, first off where did you get it CPP seems to be the cheapest ive found yet, and secondly seeing as you had a chance to look at this would it still be structurally sound if the part where the airbag bolts go thru was cut off?
It's a CPP I scored off a boardmember(67Fleet) with a group of other parts he was not using when he went lower. I also got the 1.5" blocks from him. CPP's are the cheapest I've seen, and if you call them, you can get it for $30 off- they run a perpetual "magazine ad special" advertising it for $99. Catalog price is $129...

As for cutting it off: The frame is already triple thick there before bolting in the notch, so you end up drilling through a inch of metal. I still would not chance it without welding/boxing it in. In that case, I would just build a custom notch out of pipe/plate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
I see alot of nice parts there. How hard was it to locate the trailing arm crossmember? Did you use a stock one or the ECE version? Is this one getting the dropmember also? Again,... nice work.
The parts are basically all stock stuff powdercoated, with the exception of the notch(CPP) and the panhard and shock relocators(ECE).

The leaf spring trucks already have the trailing arm crossmember in place, just no trailing arm brackets on it. I just pulled the old one and replaced it since a previous owner somewhere along the way took a cutting torch to the one on the truck. It's a stock piece I modified by cutting 4.5" holes in for exhaust routing. Just bolted it in place with grade 8 hardware.

There is some info in a few of my 4wd to 2wd Blazer conversion posts about locating the trailing arm crossmember in a chassis not originally equipped with t-arms. No Dropmember for this one- yet...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
You love those trailing arm conversions
I do! Can you believe this is what I do for fun?

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 03-05-2008, 08:16 AM   #9
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
the trailing arm forward mounts will bolt right up to the center X member. no holes to drill or anything.
Yepper. That would be a whole hell of a lot easier than what I had to do to replace the whole crossmember. It did not want to leave its home!

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 03-05-2008, 09:39 AM   #10
project1968

I am getting ready to do the same thing, except my truck is a coil spring truck so I have a few questions. How did you mount the air bags? did you have to fab some brackets or plates. Will the axle bottom out in the c-notch if you fully deflate the bags?
project1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:26 PM   #11
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Man oh man... and I thought I got something accomplished this weekend. Looking good gringoloco! Is the front for next weekend?

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:27 PM   #12
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by project1968 View Post
I am getting ready to do the same thing, except my truck is a coil spring truck so I have a few questions. How did you mount the air bags? did you have to fab some brackets or plates. Will the axle bottom out in the c-notch if you fully deflate the bags?
The bags are mounted with one long(4") bolt through the trailing arm and two bolts through the frame up top. No adapters required. You will need one hell of a large hole for the air fitting though...

The axle will bottom out in the notch. I am using button style 3/8" tall bumpstops so it won't clang if it hits.

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 03-05-2008, 06:31 PM   #13
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BlckButy View Post
Man oh man... and I thought I got something accomplished this weekend. Looking good gringoloco! Is the front for next weekend?
Still debating it. I have all the needed parts left over from my Blazer, but this is my DD, so I don't know if I want to ruin the reliability of my current front setup(alignment, etc.)

First thing I need to do is get the bed back on so I can route my exhaust. I plan on raising the floor 3", so it's not just a bolt-on deal...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 03-05-2008, 06:40 PM   #14
greasy68

Damn man, over a weekend, You make the rest of us look bad. Did you have to weld on your axle to change over to the trailing arm perches? I have leaf springs and this is my next mod.
front discs, leaf spring rear
tilt steering wheel, stock ride height, rally wheels,
2007 Dodge Charger(Hemi)
greasy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:02 PM   #15
project1968

Thanks for the answers. Looks great so far. What kind of bags are you running. What about shocks?
project1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:46 AM   #16
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasy68 View Post
Damn man, over a weekend, You make the rest of us look bad. Did you have to weld on your axle to change over to the trailing arm perches? I have leaf springs and this is my next mod.
Thanks. It really was very easy- if not for cleaning/painting everything, it would have only taken a day...

I did not weld this one, I just swapped axles from a '73-up truck into a '70 housing- direct swap. I did, however, weld new perches on the rear I used in my Blazer conversion using the ECE pieces. They are very nice and worked perfectly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by project1968 View Post
Thanks for the answers. Looks great so far. What kind of bags are you running. What about shocks?
They are Slam Specialties RE200 7" diameter. The shocks are some drop shocks I had laying around- I will swap to Monroe-Matics as soon as I get a good part# for the needed length.

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 03-06-2008, 08:48 AM   #17
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Here's phase 1 of what I'm doing to provide a little room for the exhaust. Pay no attention to my bed floor- it's not all rust, some of it is dirt- except for the holes, they're dirty rust...
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 03-06-2008, 12:51 PM   #18
BigSky71
LAIDOUT

Nice job Gringoloco, but I agree you are making the rest of us look bad! I wish I had raised my bed floor before I sprayed in the bed liner, oh well I will on the next one.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:03 PM   #19
tdave00
Restoring a 68 SWB

Do you think trailing arms are better than the leafs? I am looking at picking up a swb truck that has leafs, and I definitely want to lower it and notch the frame. I won't use it for hauling anything other than a small trailer occasionally. I would rather have a better ride. With that said should I ditch the leafs?

Nice looking job btw. I just wish I had something to tinker on right now.
tdave00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:44 PM   #20
pyro883

wish I could get that much done in a weekend.....maybe when I get home I can knock some good projects out
pyro883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:26 AM   #21
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky71 View Post
Nice job Gringoloco, but I agree you are making the rest of us look bad! I wish I had raised my bed floor before I sprayed in the bed liner, oh well I will on the next one.
Making you look bad? Hardly. In the time frame you finished your truck, I have accomplished exactly crap comparitively. Thanks for the compliment
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdave00 View Post
Do you think trailing arms are better than the leafs? I am looking at picking up a swb truck that has leafs, and I definitely want to lower it and notch the frame. I won't use it for hauling anything other than a small trailer occasionally. I would rather have a better ride. With that said should I ditch the leafs?

Nice looking job btw. I just wish I had something to tinker on right now.
Thanks! You can make leaves work- I just have a thing for the trailing arms. Bags will offer a better ride though...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 03-07-2008, 05:32 AM   #22
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

I created another mount at the middle support that normally rests on the framerails. I didn't feel like there was enough support there with just the wheeltubs to keep it from bowing. I just drilled a 3/8" hole through the flloor, support, and frame and notched the floor for the square head on the carriage bolt with my jigsaw.

To the untrained eye, it will appear factory- which is kinda what I'm going for with this floor raising. Hopefully, at first glance, even those 'in the know' won't spot it...
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 03-07-2008, 07:47 AM   #23
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
I created another mount at the middle support that normally rests on the framerails. I didn't feel like there was enough support there with just the wheeltubs to keep it from bowing. I just drilled a 3/8" hole through the flloor, support, and frame and notched the floor for the square head on the carriage bolt with my jigsaw.

To the untrained eye, it will appear factory- which is kinda what I'm going for with this floor raising. Hopefully, at first glance, even those 'in the know' won't spot it...
I did the same thing (the added support) .
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:56 AM   #24
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I did the same thing (the added support) .
What did you do on the bedsides? I've got a plan, just curious to see what you did before I execute...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 03-07-2008, 08:11 AM   #25
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
What did you do on the bedsides? I've got a plan, just curious to see what you did before I execute...
I've seen guys just use round-tubing as "spacers' @ each bolt but felt it wouldn't be sturdy enough. My plan is to use 1" square tubing assembled as a 'frame' so all the bolt holes on each corner/side are tied together.

1 'short' bolt @ the F/R of each side holds the 'frame' to the floor & is bolted to the floor only. The remaining holes get bolts long enough to go through the SQ-tubing 'frame' + the bedsides.

I call it my plan because I haven't bolted the bedsides on yet.... I was waiting on a new front bed-panel from Mar-K (which I now have) & I didn't want my primered parts out in the weather any longer than absolutely necessary.

What did you have in mind?
What about your filler neck for your blazer tank?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote