The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2008, 09:43 AM   #1
TLoz

np203 shifter help

Hi everybody,
Just finished overhauling the 400 turbo and the 203 transfer. I figured that I'd cleanup and freshen up the shifter. I got the shifter out of a junker, don't know if it worked or not-it looked pretty good. I took pictures at every step, it has very little wear-no wallered out hole or studs. cleaned and moly coated the surfaces. Put it back together per the pics and it doesn't shift right. Does anybody have a exploded view of how the shifter is assembled. The neutral pin fits in place, but only one arm will move. Also, does anyone know where to buy the rubber isolaters on the linkage? Thanks in advance, Tom
TLoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: np203 shifter help

Those things are really touchy. For something that is as heavily used as a transfercase shifter, they are too complicated. It needs to be very clean, no grit or mud, and lubricated pretty well. Shifting the three center locations is not too bad, it's that "pop" to get into "loc" that is tough.
The lever that shifts from low/neutral/high moves both directions from center. The other lever, the one that locks the front, only moves one way. ( in to lock IIRC) So there is a lot going on in that mechanism. Take extra care to be sure that the plate with the spring and pin slides freely.
Test the shifter on the bench, in a vice. When it works properly there, you have to be sure that the linkage on the case itself is adjusted right. You may not get it to lock while siting still, which makes this all that much more fun. The engine should be running/ tranmission in nuetral and it helps if the vehicle itself can roll under its own weight, not loaded by the enging/trans.
The "bonus" is that they can be just as hard to get back out of "loc"

It's a bit pricey, but ORD makes a kit to "twin stick" the shifter. It's down near the bottom of the page.
A guy could probably do it himself if he had a welder...
http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog...seshifters.htm
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote