The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2002, 02:18 PM   #1
MJWT

1972 Sidestep - Help figure how much I should pay & what to look for

Hi! I'm brand new here. I had been wanting to get a vintage vehicle and since I sell on Ebay, figured I'd better get something the cargo capacity. This AM I went a different route and stumbled upon a 1972 Longbed Sidestep. Has a 307 with 107,000 original miles. The lady told me it drove very well. Her husband was not in so I couldn't get more details then.

I looked the truck over and did find some rust spots. One in the firewall in front of the drive side. Not a hole yet but on its way. The driver's rain gutter had a hole with hanging metal but the hole has been plugged. Matter of fact the whole gutter had sealant in it. The front windshield has a rust hole above the gasket as does the rear window. I didn't see any rust spots on the corners between the doors & wheel wells but I didn't have a magnet on me either. The back corner on the passenger side before the bed was uneven and while it was 'solid' to the touch, the unevenness of it struck me as possible bondo. I looked inside one of the front wheel wells and it seemed to be in good shape. Forgot the check the other one. Didn't lift the battery and the battery was clean. The engine was painted orange and was dirty but not oily. No, no plaid covers.

Looking inside the cab through the windows (it was locked) I saw that the interior was aqua. The exterior was white. A bad paint job. One spot that I thought was bad bubbling rust, between the door bottom corner & wheel well, was actually the paint bubbling up and peeling off. Looked like when you have a bad sunburn and you start to peel. Other spots where the paint was missing either showed bare metal or aqua. When I lifted the hood the whole interior was aqua. Get the feeling this whole thing used to be aqua

The bed had a rubber mat and when I lifted it up there was a length of wood covering the bed. I've heard of wooden beds before but wasn't sure if this was original or if it was even properly attached or whatever. I didn't get to lift it as it was just me there this morning and my arms aren't that long.

I think the lady said it was an auto tranny but not sure.

The bottoms of the doors did not appear to have rust bubbles but didn't run my hand over it. Will do that this afternoon.

My husband and I are going to look at it again this afternoon and take it for a test drive. Oh yeah, he's asking $3,000 for it.

What should I look for & where? Assuming that what I've listed here is pretty much all that is wrong with it and that it does run and drive fine, is the price right? If I did nothing more than repaint it back to the original aqua, approximately how much would I be looking at in its value. I know, I know loaded questions here. All I'm looking for are tips and a BALLPARK estimate. Even if it's past the outfield, past the fence. I would like to purchase this put a little work into it, the right work, and maybe turn it over for a small profit or keep it for my own play toy.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions are most appreciated.

Jo

Last edited by MJWT; 10-28-2002 at 02:20 PM.
MJWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 03:07 PM   #2
bigvinnie

while long step trucks are kinda rare, they're probably the least desirable model as well... the windshield and roof rust would have me looking for something else.

I would talk to the husband and get more details on what's been done to the truck over the years. Find out what's up with the bondo spot you found, and ask about any recent mechanical work.

Based on your description, 2,000 sounds much more realistic.... I don't think this would be a good candidate to make a profit on.

72 Stepside Project
bigvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 03:11 PM   #3
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Rust around the windshield and firewall would scare me away for that price. You could find cleaner trucks (rust wise) for that kind of money. Those spots are expensive to fix if you choose to pay somone to do it.

Low ball the guy and see what happens, but don't feel bad if you miss out on this one.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 04:33 PM   #4
MJWT

I really appreciate the advice. I just spoke with my mechanic and he said the 307 engine was one of the worst. One of the reasons I'm looking for an older vehicle is that I've always wanted to have a car to fix up myself. Just me & Chilton's (with a little help from my friends, you know how a six-pack can work when it's used right). Anything much newer and you start getting into electronics and I don't have the space for computer equipment or the desire. If I can't fix it with hand tools I don't want it. Keep that advice coming.
Old 10-28-2002, 06:12 PM   #5
imaindianoutlaw
GMC SHORT FLEET F/S

I just purchased a 69 GMC with fire wall rust for $2000 I will drive it for a few years while collecting goodies for it(Just got a high hump,bucket seats,console, and a tilt column for it since I bought two weeks ago) like a new cab and restore it and switch it to the truck someday! Other than the fire wall the truck is sweet! Mine is a short fleet though $2000 seems reasonable
Attached Images

HVACR FOREMAN.
LEWISBURG U.S.P.
imaindianoutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 03:41 PM   #6
MJWT

Well, I went back & looked. Unfortunately it was starting to get dark so I didn't get to see much more for very long. Anyway, I did find a few more rust problems with it. One was in the floorboard near the door opening. The aluminum trim piece had gotten so soft that in the partial darkness I thought it was some rotten carpet until I got to where it was still metal. Yuck! I also CAREFULLY ran my finger along that edge just inside the door on the floor board and found a hole. It's a shape it's such a rust bucket as the engine sounded really good. Since it was pretty much dark by this time I didn't see any smoke or smell oil but after I shut it down and I was standing at the back of the truck the exhaust fumes smelled "rich". Needless to say I didn't even try to lowball the guy. IF someone bought this it would be because it would be a TRUE labor of love or they were really stupid. Thanks so much for the help.

Jo
Old 10-31-2002, 12:03 AM   #7
ThreeQuarter

Sounds like my old '72 longstep came back from the dead!

You did the right thing. Windshield rust holes are a definite no-go. Good luck with the hunt. These are great trucks to fix up, when you find the right one.

Ben
ThreeQuarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 09:13 AM   #8
gmcnorton

RIGHT CHOICE

KEEP LLOKING [ESPECIALLY ON THIS SITE] THERE IS ALWAYS BETTER LOOKING DEALS ON HERE MORE THAN ANYWHERE.. TAKE YOUR TIME AND SHOP FOR THE TRUCK YOU REALLY WANT. YOU'LL BE GLAD YOU DID IN THE END. JUST MY 2 CENTS.
Old 10-31-2002, 11:23 AM   #9
palallin

A contrary opinion:

Longsteps are great looking trucks and highly desired by people who like them. Shortbeds are useless--I know, I used to have one.

Firewall/roof rust is not a non-starter, especially if you want to upgrade the cab with an a/c anyway.

The 307 is a darn good motor: it pulls strongly, revs enough, and gets decent mileage.

Don't judge a truck by the yardstick of a drag race car.
Old 10-31-2002, 02:56 PM   #10
bigvinnie

Quote:
Longsteps are great looking trucks and highly desired by people who like them
HA HA..... good one!

AMC Pacers are "highly desired by the people who desire them", too...

I guess you're in an elite group, along with all those 307 lovers...

72 Stepside Project
bigvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 03:16 PM   #11
Shane
Account Suspended

Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 03:44 PM   #12
palallin

"HA HA," yourself.

Quote:
Originally posted by bigvinnie

HA HA..... good one!

AMC Pacers are "highly desired by the people who desire them", too...

I guess you're in an elite group, along with all those 307 lovers...
Old 10-31-2002, 04:00 PM   #13
ThreeQuarter

Ouch. Next are you gonna tell me that nobody else likes skinny tires?
ThreeQuarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 07:55 PM   #14
BLAZERMAN
Currently Blazerless

HEY! I'v got skinny tires on my longstep, I wonder what gtroup I'm in.
Old 10-31-2002, 10:14 PM   #15
imaindianoutlaw
GMC SHORT FLEET F/S

I like skinny tires! On the front! And some mean meats on the back!

307's make good boat anchors!

Pacers are ugly!

Short beds rule!

HVACR FOREMAN.
LEWISBURG U.S.P.
imaindianoutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 10:34 PM   #16
dion
72 Cheyenne

I guess I'm a freak, I really like long beds.
1966/67Stouts
dion is offline   Reply With Quote